Vintage Toy Repair Questions, Please Help!

Old March 16th 05, 10:37 AM

Default Vintage Toy Repair Questions, Please Help!

As the good folks at the Circle X Ranch at Yahoo! groups are assembling
a file for all the many cleaning and repair issues that arise with Marx
merchandise, I am not asking anything about that, but of course many of
us collect items from other lines as well.

Is anyone here a member of any group, in touch with anyone, or know of
anyone, who can offer repair advice on other vintage and modern toys?

Specifically (for starters):

Barbies
Vintage
I have a Living Barbie with one arm present but detached. It isn't the
regular hard plastic, ball-and-socket attachment, but soft plastic.
What is the best method for reattachment? (By best I mean not just
jamming it on with glue so it won't move, but an actual repair!)

Modern
With old Barbies it's easy enough to switch heads if the neck joint is
still there. Neck sockets can even be repaired or replaced. But with
the new ones, since they started putting in that darn ball arrangement
or whatever the thing is, what is the procedure for repairing the break
and replacing the head?

Tutti
With dolls made of hard plastic I can sometimes replace a missing hand
or foot, but am stumped on what to use to fill in soft plastic parts.
Suggestions?

Liddle Kiddles
In repairing or replacing a limb torn most or all of the way off, if
the wire is broken or missing, or the Kiddle was a non-wired type (such
as replacing part of a locket or Skediddler leg and reinforcing it with
wire along with whatever glue being used) what type of wire, or coating
on the wire, should be used to avoid possible future blue/green?
Presumably with the locket sized it would have to be extremely fine but
not so fine as to bend inserting it?

G. I. Joes and other Hasbro
I have this modern Hasbro hockey player who'd make a REALLY cool Indian
except the darn people welded hockey gloves onto his hands! If
possible, I'd like to replace the entire arms at either the elbow or
shoulder joints with probably regular modern G. I. Joe arms, and let G.
I. Joe be the hockey player as he is not near as cool. (Sorry, Joe.)
These things are EXTREMELY sturdy and not prone to just pulling apart.
Also, I'm pretty sure his head is made different than the regular Joes,
so just switching heads would probably not work. The arms may be
assembled differently as well. What should the procedure be?

Kenner Scouts
The neck and base were both made of smooth hard plastic, making most of
these guys' necks loose, lolling in the appalling way of an accident or
hanging victim. The hands and feet are put in with pegs which are also
prone to coming loose. All I can think of is to coat them with some
substance to tighten up the joints without hindering movement. Would
coating the parts with a thin layer of clear silicone be acceptable?
Does one kind work better than another or are they all about the same
if properly thinned? What substance works best to thin silicone? What
other substance or method besides silicone would work? Would a sprayed
clear coating on just those parts make them more slick, less, or no
difference?

Any help anyone can offer will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Cori