Are there 1 euro notes?

Old July 27th 03, 03:49 PM
A.M.Heindorff

Default Are there 1 euro notes?

Arlene Sullivan wrote in message
Hi all - I'm used to mailing cash for payment on auction lots that only
cost a few bucks. I have no problem getting US dollars for this.

I recently won a lot and arrange to pay in euros. It was a small sum of
3 euros, so I went to the local currency exchange (Thomas Cook) to buy
some 1 euro bills.

Imaging my surprise when the woman behind the counter told me there is
no such thing as 1 euro notes or coins! She said she'd never seen any
kind of coin, either, and that the smallest denomination bill I could
purchase was 5 euros! That's near CDN $10.

Now, I just can't believe that there is no such thing as a 1 euro note
or coin. And I can't believe that I can't get such a thing in Canada.
Surely not all Canadians who travel to Europe keep all their euros and
don't bother to convert them.

So, some help - is there such a thing as a 1 euro note/coin? Is there
some reason that these would not be available in Canada just like US
dollars are? And does anybody know how and where I can buy such a thing
in Canada?

I'd really like to be able to pay for European lots in euros rather than
US dollars, as this is much more convenient for the recipient.

Arlene, your question is not entirely OT ;-)

The woman at Thomas Cook is right; there is no 1-Euro note,
but there are coins. I have mailed you in private some zip-files
where you can see images of the current notes and coins.

Personally I have solved this problem by signing up for PayPal
where you can pay in US-dollars, Canadian Dollars, GB-pounds,
Yen, and Euro. Theoretically it shold be possible to mail any
amount in these currencies to anyone who has an email-address.

You will find further info at https://www.paypal.com

Mette

Old July 27th 03, 04:02 PM
A.M.Heindorff

I wrote as an answer to Arlene Sullivan:

Arlene, your question is not entirely OT ;-)

The woman at Thomas Cook is right; there is no 1-Euro note,
but there are coins. I have mailed you in private some zip-files
where you can see images of the current notes and coins.

Personally I have solved this problem by signing up for PayPal
where you can pay in US-dollars, Canadian Dollars, GB-pounds,
Yen, and Euro. Theoretically it shold be possible to mail any
amount in these currencies to anyone who has an email-address.

You will find further info at https://www.paypal.com

As an addendum for those interested here is the
relevant link to the European Central Bank:

http://www.euro.ecb.int/en/section/testnotes.html

Mette

Old July 27th 03, 04:18 PM
Arlene Sullivan

Thank you, Mette.

I have recently registered for Paypal - I'm still in the groove of
paying in "real money" and just have to start using it!

We don't have Canadian one dollar notes, either - haven't for some
years. But we do have loonies. And the US still has the whole lot of
denominated bills. I mean, if people in Europe buy a pack of gum they
have to have some way of making change, don't they?

And I still think it odd that Thomas Cook wouldn't handle euro coin,
given that it is a world currency now.

Anyway, thanks again, Mette.

Arlene Sullivan

Old July 27th 03, 04:52 PM
A.M.Heindorff

Arlene Sullivan wrote in message
Thank you, Mette.

I have recently registered for Paypal - I'm still in the groove of
paying in "real money" and just have to start using it!

We don't have Canadian one dollar notes, either - haven't for some
years. But we do have loonies. And the US still has the whole lot of
denominated bills. I mean, if people in Europe buy a pack of gum they
have to have some way of making change, don't they?

And I still think it odd that Thomas Cook wouldn't handle euro coin,
given that it is a world currency now.

Anyway, thanks again, Mette.

You are welcome, Arlene.

Frankly, I don't think that any exchange office would handle
coins of any kind. If I go to any bank here, they would
hand over any amount I request, the closest they can
come to the amount I need, but in notes only. It's the
same if I go to Thomas Cook, or Forex, or whatever.
Only notes, no coins.

But of course, in daily life there are Euro-coins. I haven't
seen the coins either, mostly because Denmark has not
(yet) joined the Euro. The front side of the coins is the
same on all Euro-coins, the reverse side is individual for
the countries issuing it.

You'll see that PayPal works fine, actually I've been
quite content with it and use it whenever I can, also
because it eliminates the question of change, which
I would eventually receive in mint stamps from a foreign
country, and for which I have normally no use. I much
prefer to pay "to the cent". Another advantage of using
PayPal is that the recipient will have your mailing address
instantly.

Mette

Old July 27th 03, 07:29 PM
Eric Bustad

Arlene Sullivan wrote:
And I still think it odd that Thomas Cook wouldn't handle euro coin,
given that it is a world currency now.

Coins are heavy, cost too much to ship internationally.

= Eric