Cutter for Hawid mounts

Old July 21st 09, 10:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
tim

Default Cutter for Hawid mounts

Hello! I need to mount over 2000 stamps and I am using Hawid clear
mounts. I bought a cutter at Office Depot. Unfortunately, while
cutting the strip, it curves so that it doesn't give me a straight
edge. I have used a complex stamp strip cutter a long time ago and it
was a pain in the *&^ to use. Can anyonme recommend a good cutter that
doesn't cost a small fortune? Thanks!
Old July 22nd 09, 05:05 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Droger Jean-Paul

tim a couché sur son écran :
Hello! I need to mount over 2000 stamps and I am using Hawid clear
mounts. I bought a cutter at Office Depot. Unfortunately, while
cutting the strip, it curves so that it doesn't give me a straight
edge. I have used a complex stamp strip cutter a long time ago and it
was a pain in the *&^ to use. Can anyonme recommend a good cutter that
doesn't cost a small fortune? Thanks!

hello, I don't use a cutter but a guillotine (in my diccionary is the
translation of French massicot, sorry I don't know better translation)
that I used 40 years ago to cut my pictures when I make it myself;
hawid sells one that is fine, but I don'tknow the price and if it is
sell in your country!!

have a nice day (here in France it is 6 am)

--
Pour m'envoyer un mail, remplacer anti par droger et manama par
wanadoo; to send me directly a mail replace anti with droger and manama

Old July 22nd 09, 10:41 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
jerry

Hi Tim,

Best cutters, or guillotines, are the ones made by Showgard. Below
are 2 sources for these guillotines:

Showgard
http://www.showgard.com/List_Supplies.cfm

Subway
http://www.subwaystamp.com/searchprods.asp

They will cut any brand mounts and last forever. I have been using the
same guillotine for at least 20 years. They used to have a glass
'ruler' for cutting larger mounts but they do not have that anymore.
Based on that I suggest getting the larger guillotine, Showgard 604.
It is pricy but they do last forever, A big advantage of this
guillotine is the guage. If you have a large amount of stamps that are
the same width, you set the width on the guage once and start cutting
individual mounts from a strip, each mount the same width.

A couple of hints using the guillotine. The picture shows the guage
attached at the top of the cutter, but I have found that it was easier
to use when attached to the bottom of the cutter. Also, I measure the
width of a stamp from perf tip to perf tip, in mm, and add 3mm to get
the mount width. This gives an appearance of an even mount border
around the stamp and protects the perfs.

To Jean-Paul. these 'cutters' are almost always described as
guillotines so there really is not a better translation.

Jerry B
Old July 23rd 09, 09:47 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Joshua McGee[_2_]

On Jul 22, 2:41*am, jerry wrote:
Hi Tim,

Best cutters, or guillotines, are the ones made by Showgard. *Below
are 2 sources for these guillotines:

Showgardhttp://www.showgard.com/List_Supplies.cfm

Subwayhttp://www.subwaystamp.com/searchprods.asp

In my opinion and experience, Showgard cutters are of very low
quality. The guillotine blade starts to become separated -- splays
out -- from the pivot, and there is no straightforward nor reliable
way to move it back into registration. One then has to settle for
crooked cuts or, if one applies lateral pressure while cutting to
align the blade, wrinkly cuts.

Get something made by the (German, I think) company Ideal -- I use a
1034. It's pricey, yes, but you can shop around for mail-order
houses. If you are mounting a trillion stamps, you can't do better,
and it will last you forever. I can't say it will "pay for itself" --
it really won't -- but I can't stand crooked or ragged mounts. Again,
just my opinion, but philatelic tools are like stamps themselves: buy
the absolute finest that is within your price range. Otherwise, you
will find yourself replacing both, eventually, and lose money.

--
Joshua H. McGee
Sierra Madre, Los Angeles, California, USA