Kiss Good Bye the FIP Web Site Competitions

Old July 2nd 03, 12:19 PM
Victor Manta

Default Kiss Good Bye the FIP Web Site Competitions

On the page:

http://www.norbyhus.dk/fipliterature/fipeval03.html

I have found, by chance, as follows:

"2003 FIP Web Site Evaluation Cancelled

The FIP evaluation of philatelic Web sites for 2003 has been canceled,
according to Francis Kiddle, president of the FIP Literature Commission and
FIP director, Charles Peterson. The need for this action was realized last
month when the requirements of other duties of the primary participants in
the operation of these evaluations this summer became apparent.
It is anticipated that these evaluations will probably be resumed in 2004.
Robert de Violini "
The mentioned page was published on 06/29/2003, which coincides, by chance,
with exactly the day when I have applied to the competition, with the
Spanish Africa site (sorry Tracy, no chance).

Just to notice that the FIP site still invites us to participate in this
obsolete competition:

http://www.f-i-p.ch/competitions/competition.htm

I can imagine that the large discussion that took place on this NG, and the
fact that the PWO has informed the FIP officials as well about it, as about
its own position on the subject, have incited the FIP and its Literature
Commission to look more seriously at what they were doing in this respect.

http://www.pwmo.org/articles/fip-award2002-answer.htm

It confirms again, IMHO, that the FIP Literature Commission hat fully
deserved their recently won Fenny Cup Award:

http://www.values.ch/sna-site/contes...award-2003.htm

Victor Manta
PWO

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org
1900 Links Online: http://pwmo.org/weblinks/links.asp
Art on Stamps: http://values.ch
Romania Shown by Its Stamps: http://marci-postale.com
Spanish Africa: http://www.values.ch/sna-site/

Old July 3rd 03, 05:36 PM
Tracy Barber

On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 08:53:05 +0200, Bjorn Bakken
wrote:

Victor Manta wrote:

On the page:

http://www.norbyhus.dk/fipliterature/fipeval03.html

I have found, by chance, as follows:

"2003 FIP Web Site Evaluation Cancelled

The FIP evaluation of philatelic Web sites for 2003 has been canceled,
according to Francis Kiddle, president of the FIP Literature Commission and
FIP director, Charles Peterson. The need for this action was realized last
month when the requirements of other duties of the primary participants in
the operation of these evaluations this summer became apparent.
It is anticipated that these evaluations will probably be resumed in 2004.
Robert de Violini "

-----------

My primary reaction to this message is sadness. This defensive answer to my
initial complaints is not surprising, but is definitely not what I wanted...!!

I think that web site competitions are an important part of the future of
philately, and I sincerely hope that FIP will bring new persons into their
organization to re-establish this annual competition again soon....

Hopefully with a little more talent and time to do what they proposed
to do.

Tracy Barber
Old July 7th 03, 04:23 AM
Pierre Courtiade

wrote :

FIP ????
.
How many collectors really carewhat the FIP does or for that matter
says ?
.
I would bet that I could go to any one of several stamp clubs and ask
what the FIP is and what it does and not one in a hundred collectors
could answer either part one or part two correctly.
.
And among the one in several hundred who could offer more than a
mumbling guess I have the feeling that few could cite any realistic
involvement.
.
So for the life of me I do not see what this organization does for the
average stamp collector beyond provide a slush fund for self declared
philatelic muckty mucks.

Charlie,

Agreed :-)

I could express the same opinion for my national philatelic association
(FFAP Fédération Française des Associations Philatéliques).

For an average collector like myself :
I am a member of a very small (~ 25 members) stamp club (at home near
Paris) not affiliated to FFAP and of a larger one (~100 members) near my
cottage in Brittany, affilated to FFAP.

The only add-on from FFAP (for me) is that the annual fee is 50 % higher
in the larger (and FFAP affiliated) stamp club :-(((

Where goes this extra money ? In a lot of different things I imagine,
but I know at least those :
- paying accomodation to FFAP directors or judges when they visit
exhibitions
- administrative expenses
- fees to the FIP
- promoting philately amongst youngters

I do agree with this last purpose, but they are not very efficient in
it.

I'm wondering what are your opinions on your national philatelic
associations ?

--
All the best,
Pierre Courtiade

or

Old July 7th 03, 06:24 PM
Eric Bustad

Pierre Courtiade wrote:
wrote :

FIP ????
.
[...]

For the US, the American Philatelic Society provides a number of
services that are mostly listed on the web page
http://www.stamps.org/Services/index.htm. In addition, member clubs
have access to a library of philatelic presentations on slides and
video. I find it worth-while being a member.

= Eric

Old July 7th 03, 11:11 PM
J. A. Mc.

On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 10:24:41 -0700, Eric Bustad
found these unused words floating about:

Pierre Courtiade wrote:
wrote :

FIP ????
.
[...]

While that -may- be true today (no current experience) ... in the '80s
they pretty much ignored the smaller clubs, except when it came time
to pay annual dues.

We ended up making our own presentations because we couldn't get the
APeS to send any or even return a letter of inquiry. Other societies
did supply programs.

Guess it all boils down to what contact you can make -within- the
'parent' organization ...

BUY/SELL/TRADE/GIVE AWAY your 8tracks -- Nov. listing [email protected] 8 Track Tapes 3 January 9th 05 03:41 PM
new 8 track site Alex 8 Track Tapes 0 August 23rd 04 08:03 AM
1952 Topps Baseball Singles john Baseball 0 July 21st 04 08:28 PM
Just A Reminder To New Alt.Collecting.8-Track-Tapes Group Members Daniel & Kathy Gibson 8 Track Tapes 7 May 17th 04 12:06 PM
Just A Reminder To New Alt.Collecting.8-Track-Tapes Group Members Daniel & Kathy Gibson 8 Track Tapes 11 April 26th 04 12:52 PM