Grading Observation: The disappearance of MS-60 from slabs.

Old May 28th 05, 04:05 AM
Willy P

Default Grading Observation: The disappearance of MS-60 from slabs.

I have noticed that the grade of MS-60 has all but disappeared from
slabs. All the slabs that I have that are graded MS-60 are early NGC,
PCGS, and PCI. Checking the NGC Census I find it interesting to find
many AU-58's and a good number of MS-61's but rarely an MS-60.

Has anyone else had this observation?

Old May 28th 05, 12:03 PM
Gary Loveless

On 27 May 2005 20:05:26 -0700, "Willy P" wrote:

I have noticed that the grade of MS-60 has all but disappeared from
slabs. All the slabs that I have that are graded MS-60 are early NGC,
PCGS, and PCI. Checking the NGC Census I find it interesting to find
many AU-58's and a good number of MS-61's but rarely an MS-60.

Has anyone else had this observation?

Yep, I too havent gotten an MS-60 slab from the big three in over two
or three years, lots of AU-58s and MS-61s .................

Gary

Old May 28th 05, 12:26 PM
oly

Sounds like both a CYA thing on the part of the grading services and a
realization on the part of owners of potentially slabable "MS"-60 coins
that putting such a coin in a slab won't help in terms or price or
resale-ability. oly

Old May 28th 05, 02:06 PM
Anita

On 28 May 2005 04:26:57 -0700, "oly" wrote:

Sounds like both a CYA thing on the part of the grading services and a
realization on the part of owners of potentially slabable "MS"-60 coins
that putting such a coin in a slab won't help in terms or price or
resale-ability. oly

I agree, Oly. I had some 60/61 Morgans a few weeks ago that I had
picked up at live auction. Slabbing them would have cost as much as
the coins were worth, so they were sold as raw coins at greysheet
price. They would be good for albums, but a waste of money to slab.

I suspect that MS 60's may often be cracked out by less-than-honest
dealers. Unfortunately with many people, writing MS 64 on a mylar flip
can up the realized price of the coin. Sending the coin to a
less-than-talented grading company can have the same effect. I've seen
many AU50-MS60 coins posing as mid-grade uncirculated in some of the
slabs.

Anita