Auction sites other than eBay

Old September 2nd 03, 10:40 PM
Bill Krummel

Default Auction sites other than eBay

Ok. EBay is where I sell virtually all my coins. It is where I buy most of
the coins I buy. Other than eBay, I have bought and sold on Andy's UrBid,
mainly because I like Andy and want to contribute, .....well, that's not
quite true, I have picked up a few bargains and a number of reasonable
purchases there, amid some of the listings for common, heavily circulated
IHCs that have a minimum starting bid of $40, or some such. So, I have bid
at UrBid when I see a coin that has a very low starting bid, and because the
site is not heavily trafficked, I have been pleased with a good percentage
of my purchases there.

Still, it seems that good auctions are getting scarcer at UrBid.

I am forgoing the pursuit of my classic commemorative halfs, probably until
next spring. I have tended to stay away from eBay, so as to avoid
temptation. I get withdrawal symptoms really bad by not looking for and
pursuing coins for my personal collection.

So, with some time to spare, I looked at some auction sites that I have
never or seldom visited. One word - disappointment.

Years ago, I used to bid and win at Coin Universe and CCE auctions, and was
satisfied with my experiences. I tried CCE today with no luck. The coin
auction site must no longer exist, even though the search engine described
the site as a coin auction site. It looks like a server site now, call
"cce-auction.com", but no auctions and no coins.

I tried Yahoo. I have visited Yahoo auctions before, following links from
rcc postings, but I had never surfed the site. I did update my Yahoo "Mu
Auctions" page, and I did tag one auction to follow it until it ends
tomorrow, but I really found that there were none of the low start auctions
that I like.

I tried Amazon auctions. What's with that? 700 coin auctions, and I found
one auction with one bid out of 700 auctions. The auction with a bid was a
tenth ounce certified platinum coin and the bid was showing $25 with the
reserve not met. I thoughtabout popping in a $65 bid but just said phooey.

So, I suspect eBay is the only place where I would ever do what I and others
dare to do, list coins at $1 start, no reserve. Any one have some other
sites to suggest? Bill

Old September 2nd 03, 10:46 PM
JSTONE9352

So, I suspect eBay is the only place where I would ever do what I and others
dare to do, list coins at $1 start, no reserve. Any one have some other
sites to suggest? Bill

For a $1.00 start with no reserve any
other auction site is too risky, just not
enough traffic to take a chance IMO.
Old September 3rd 03, 01:35 AM
John Carney

"Bill Krummel" wrote

So, I suspect eBay is the only place where I would ever do what I and others
dare to do, list coins at $1 start, no reserve. Any one have some other
sites to suggest? Bill

Teletrade. I've always been happy with their service and have gotten some tremendous
bargains there.

--
John

Visit the RCCers favorite coins web page
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jcarne...ns/rccers.html

Old September 3rd 03, 04:44 AM
Mike

I haven't bought or sold anything, but occasionally I look at www.bidz.com.
It does seem to be mostly common stuff mixed in among stamps and postcards.

Old September 3rd 03, 05:36 AM
Forrest Stevens

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 16:40:02 -0500, "Bill Krummel"
wrote:

So, I suspect eBay is the only place where I would ever do what I and others
dare to do, list coins at $1 start, no reserve. Any one have some other
sites to suggest? Bill

I have listed a few things on epier (www.epier.com): no listing fees,
and auctions can be set to automatically re-list. I *have* sold some
items, but bidding has been anemic at best. Last I checked, epier had
more coins listed than many auction sites do, though still a pale
shadow of eBay.

I would definately *not* list a valuable item on epier starting at $1
with no reserve.

Forrest Stevens

Old September 3rd 03, 08:08 AM
beta90

ive been listing on yahoo for about 6 months now.did ok at first.one sale
here and there,untill i went and purchased a camera.now my sales have
tripled.
i checked out ebay but i cant see why someone would pay what they want
to list items.especially if an item sells for a $1.seems to me in the long
run you would take a beating.i can see why some of the s&h charges are so
high.
i tried bidville for awhile but never got a single bid,just alot of
looking.
which bring me to another post thats going on.what is a fair price to
list things at?US coins ive been going about 25% under the graded
price,depending on the coin.canadian usually about 1/2 book
price,again,depending on the coin.
if anyone wants to take a look,im listed as ch_enderby,and if anyone
has any tips i would be greatful

chuck(beta90)

Old September 3rd 03, 02:02 PM
J. A. M.

beta90 wrote

"US coins ive been going about 25% under the graded
price,depending on the coin.canadian usually about 1/2 book
price,again,depending on the coin."

What "book" have you been using for your pricing information?

JAM
Old September 3rd 03, 03:15 PM
beta90

my uncle is a dealer up in NY and he gave me a copy of his gray sheet from
january `03
coinworld`s prices are outragous on some things,and i dont like the
redbook.

chuck

beta90 wrote

Old September 3rd 03, 04:45 PM
J. A. M.

beta90 wrote:

my uncle is a dealer up in NY and he gave me a copy of his gray sheet from
january `03
coinworld`s prices are outragous on some things,and i dont like the
redbook.

chuck

"J. A. M." wrote in message
beta90 wrote

"US coins ive been going about 25% under the graded
price,depending on the coin.canadian usually about 1/2 book
price,again,depending on the coin."

What "book" have you been using for your pricing information?

JAM

The graysheet is closer to reality than any other pricing guide for us coins.

The Canadian Coin News list prices in Canadian $ so the exchange rate has to be factored in. Even then you will come up with the "fool" retail prices just like Coin World and Numismatic News price guides.

JAM
Old September 3rd 03, 05:02 PM
Rob

I haven't seen any comments on Heritage Coin auctions, so here's my two
bits. I'm also curious as to people's opinions of them. I have made many
purchases from them trying to complete sets for my kids and have been happy
with the transactions. I've had some miserable dealings with some sellers on
ebay (only a couple, most are very positive), but with Heritage, it's been
painless. I bid low enough so that even with the premium, I feel like I've
gotten a deal. They ship fast with good packaging. There's always 5 to 10
coins that I need in each auction and hundreds that I'd love to scoop! I've
never sold anything through them, so I can speak on that. So in general, is
Heritage a RCC favored auction or is it to be avoided?

Rob