The UPU and France

Old January 12th 05, 04:03 AM
Dave Kent

Default The UPU and France

I notice that France is issuing new stamps clearly inscribed "France." For
years French stamps have simply been inscribed "RF." They are also issuing new
stamps for Saint Pierre & Miquelon that are inscribed with those exact words,
rather than the recent "SPM." I have heard rumors that these changes were made
because of a ruling by the Universal Postal Union (UPU) that the old
inscriptions on French stamps were not satisfactory in identifying the country.
Can anyone confirm this rumor? Can anyone point me to a place (preferably in
the Internet) that tells more about this? I couldn't find anything using
Google.
Thanks.....
Old January 12th 05, 11:04 AM
Roger Smith

"Dave Kent" wrote in message
I notice that France is issuing new stamps clearly inscribed "France." For
years French stamps have simply been inscribed "RF." They are also issuing
new
stamps for Saint Pierre & Miquelon that are inscribed with those exact
words,
rather than the recent "SPM." I have heard rumors that these changes were
made
because of a ruling by the Universal Postal Union (UPU) that the old
inscriptions on French stamps were not satisfactory in identifying the
country.
Can anyone confirm this rumor? Can anyone point me to a place (preferably
in
the Internet) that tells more about this? I couldn't find anything using
Google.
Thanks.....

I recently received a letter from the United States with only the initials
"USA" to identify the country of origin. Perhaps we shall see a change
there soon.
:-)
Regards, Roger

Old January 12th 05, 07:23 PM
ThibauT

Pour participer à nos (d)ébats, "Roger Smith"
sussurait le Wed, 12 Jan 2005 10:04:26 GMT :

"Dave Kent" wrote in message
I notice that France is issuing new stamps clearly inscribed "France." For
years French stamps have simply been inscribed "RF."

I recently received a letter from the United States with only the initials
"USA" to identify the country of origin. Perhaps we shall see a change
there soon.
:-)
Regards, Roger

Hi,
I believed thzt France have changed the inscription because the UPU
says that only the name of the country have to be inscribed not the
type of gouvernment. RF means "Republique Française" so it was in
contradiction with the UPU rules.
--
ThibauT
Best regards from Vergèze (France), city of Perrier ;o)
Old January 12th 05, 07:35 PM
Victor Manta

"Roger Smith" wrote in message

I recently received a letter from the United States with only the initials
"USA" to identify the country of origin. Perhaps we shall see a change
there soon.
:-)
Regards, Roger

The SNAPO is also seriously considering to change the name of the country on
its stamps. The problem is that Spanish North Africa is a bit long, so that
maybe the name of the country should be changed in the same time.

Proposals for changes (like Fennecia ? Or is this a sacrilege...

May I remind you that SNA is member of the UPU.

http://www.values.ch/sna-site/joint/membership-upu.htm

--
Victor Manta

Spanish North Africa: http://www.values.ch/sna-site/

Old January 12th 05, 07:43 PM
Tony Clayton

"Dave Kent" wrote in message
I notice that France is issuing new stamps clearly inscribed "France." For
years French stamps have simply been inscribed "RF."

I recently received a letter from the United States with only the initials
"USA" to identify the country of origin. Perhaps we shall see a change
there soon.
:-)
Regards, Roger

Hi,
I believed thzt France have changed the inscription because the UPU
says that only the name of the country have to be inscribed not the
type of gouvernment. RF means "Republique Française" so it was in
contradiction with the UPU rules.

But surely the United States is also a type of government...

Why has France been picked on?

Formosa has 'Republic of China',
Somalia had the Somali Democratic Republic (in Somali),
East Germany had Deutsche Demokratische Republik,
Dominica has Republica Dominica

I could go on (& on).

--
Tony Clayton or
Coins of the UK :
Old January 12th 05, 08:04 PM

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 19:35:59 +0100, "Victor Manta"
wrote:

"Roger Smith" wrote in message

I recently received a letter from the United States with only the initials
"USA" to identify the country of origin. Perhaps we shall see a change
there soon.
:-)
Regards, Roger

The SNAPO is also seriously considering to change the name of the country on
its stamps. The problem is that Spanish North Africa is a bit long, so that
maybe the name of the country should be changed in the same time.

Proposals for changes (like Fennecia ? Or is this a sacrilege...

Don't even go there...

May I remind you that SNA is member of the UPU.

Underdog Puppy Union?

http://www.values.ch/sna-site/joint/membership-upu.htm

Uh, ok! :^)
Old January 12th 05, 09:12 PM
David F.

I recently received a letter from the United States with only the initials
"USA" to identify the country of origin. Perhaps we shall see a change
there soon.
:-)
Regards, Roger

The SNAPO is also seriously considering to change the name of the country on
its stamps. The problem is that Spanish North Africa is a bit long, so that
maybe the name of the country should be changed in the same time.

Proposals for changes (like Fennecia ? Or is this a sacrilege...

May I remind you that SNA is member of the UPU.

http://www.values.ch/sna-site/joint/membership-upu.htm

--
Victor Manta

Spanish North Africa: http://www.values.ch/sna-site/

How about Spannorca?

Has the SNAPO printed an official Mailing Rates table
for local and international postal items yet? I understand
that there is a lower weight restriction for items delivered
within SNA, as the Fennecs are unable to carry large items
over the extended distances involved in desert regions.

Poor little fellas - do they have a Union?

David.

Old January 12th 05, 10:52 PM

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 20:12:10 -0000, "David F."
wrote:

I recently received a letter from the United States with only the initials
"USA" to identify the country of origin. Perhaps we shall see a change
there soon.
:-)
Regards, Roger

The SNAPO is also seriously considering to change the name of the country on
its stamps. The problem is that Spanish North Africa is a bit long, so that
maybe the name of the country should be changed in the same time.

Proposals for changes (like Fennecia ? Or is this a sacrilege...

May I remind you that SNA is member of the UPU.

http://www.values.ch/sna-site/joint/membership-upu.htm

--
Victor Manta

Spanish North Africa: http://www.values.ch/sna-site/

How about Spannorca?

Or Casa de Manta...

Has the SNAPO printed an official Mailing Rates table
for local and international postal items yet? I understand
that there is a lower weight restriction for items delivered
within SNA, as the Fennecs are unable to carry large items
over the extended distances involved in desert regions.

The Global Carpet Rate is the only outside rate at present, unless the
Postmaster has once again changed the rates. Similar To Global
Priority Rate in the U.S. but uses SnapDollars (tm).

Most carpets can hold up to about 50 pounds, including the fennec
driver.

Poor little fellas - do they have a Union?

The FDC - Fennec Desert Corp. David, you of all people should have
known that by their campaigns into ANA, PNA and Minnakers. Sheesh...
Old January 13th 05, 08:47 AM
Rodney

| How about Spannorca?

If SNAPO adopts this, I'd like to apply for position as the Prince of Whales.

Old January 13th 05, 09:11 AM
Pierre COURTIADE

ThibauT :

Hi,
I believed that France have changed the inscription because the UPU
says that only the name of the country have to be inscribed not the
type of gouvernment. RF means "Republique Francaise" so it was in

Tony Clayton wrote :

But surely the United States is also a type of government...

:-))))))))))

Why has France been picked on?

Tony,

To my best knowledge, France was not picked on by UPU but decided at
last to abide to this UPU rule.

There have been a few other periods during the French philatelic history
when "Republique Française" or its abbreviations "RF", "Repub Franc" had
not been used.

Two under non-democratic regimes :
- Napoleon III : "Empire Francais" from 1853 to 1869
- Vichy regime with Petain : "Postes Francaises or France or Postes
France" from 1941 to 1944

More recently, President Giscard d'Estaing decided in 1975 to replace RF
by France, then President Mitterand reversed this measure back, when the
left took the power in 1981.

Apart from these political right / left connotations, I prefer France to
RF, just because :

- it should be understood by more of the foreign people
- it complies with an UPU regulation that we established *ourselves*
with the other nations.
- I hate the acronyms !

But some other people here do not agree with me ;-)

--
All the best,
Pierre Courtiade