Saudi Arabia - Secours Guerche

Old October 29th 04, 12:59 PM
amesh \(Mette\)

Default Saudi Arabia - Secours Guerche

In yesterday's lot with the Egyptian overprints I have also found these four
items from the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. They all seem different in design,
size and colour, and all have the mention of "Secours Guerche" or simply
"Guerche". The word "secours" would indicate aid of some kind, but
"Guerche" ...? They all seem to have a face value that resembles to our way
of writing 1/8 (but probably says something different). They are all used,
and the perforation is exactly what you see -- rather poor and uneven. Does
anyone know what they are?

http://shoebox.heindorffhus.dk/SaudA...ursGuerche.jpg
--
Best regards
Ann Mette Heindorff (Mette)

Old October 29th 04, 02:56 PM
Clausmeyer

"amesh (Mette)" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
In yesterday's lot with the Egyptian overprints I have also found these

four
items from the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. They all seem different in design,
size and colour, and all have the mention of "Secours Guerche" or simply
"Guerche". The word "secours" would indicate aid of some kind, but
"Guerche" ...? They all seem to have a face value that resembles to our

way
of writing 1/8 (but probably says something different). They are all used,
and the perforation is exactly what you see -- rather poor and uneven.

Does
anyone know what they are?

"Guerche" is the old unit of currency.
if memory doesn't fail me, it's just another word
for the Ottoman (Turkish) Piastre.
you're correct about 1/8, so face value of these
stamps is 1/8 Piastre.

joerg

Old October 29th 04, 04:12 PM
amesh \(Mette\)

"Jay T. Carrigan" skrev i en meddelelse
I believe you said you have a Scott catalog. They are listed
there. Can you find them? (Hint - one is a postage stamp,
the others aren't.)

Thanks Jay -- My Scott has been loaned to someone else for a while. I
believe it is time to claim it back :-)
Mette

In article , says...

Old October 29th 04, 04:13 PM
amesh \(Mette\)

"Clausmeyer" skrev i en meddelelse

[...]

Thank you, Joerg. Where does the "secours" come in?

Mette

Old October 29th 04, 04:58 PM
Rodney

| and the perforation is exactly what you see -- rather poor and uneven.

but still interesting stamps, Mette.
reminds me of the hours spent trying to catalogue a box
of Travancore issues/overprints, can be testing

Old October 29th 04, 07:06 PM
Aepaep00 [D*]

amesh \(Mette\) wrote:

In yesterday's lot with the Egyptian overprints I have also found these four
items from the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. They all seem different in design,
size and colour, and all have the mention of "Secours Guerche" or simply
"Guerche". The word "secours" would indicate aid of some kind, but
"Guerche" ...? They all seem to have a face value that resembles to our way
of writing 1/8 (but probably says something different). They are all used,
and the perforation is exactly what you see -- rather poor and uneven. Does
anyone know what they are?

http://shoebox.heindorffhus.dk/SaudA...ursGuerche.jpg
--
Best regards
Ann Mette Heindorff (Mette)
reply to heindorffhus at heindorffhus dot.dk
http://www.heindorffhus.dk

bjr,
Dans YVERT
1, 3 4 hopital de la mecque
timbre de bienfaisance obligatoire à
certaines époques . 1,2,3
le 2ème dit série courante de 1934 43
DansSCOTT saudi arabia
LE 2 "tughra of king ABDUL AZIZ " 1934
Les 1 ,3, 4 sont à postal tax stamps et decrits
en fonction de la dentelure , de la taille , typo ou litho .
amicaalement
yves claude

.-=( Sent from: http://www.delcampe.com/usenet_index.php?language=F )=-.

Old October 29th 04, 08:10 PM
Jay T. Carrigan

Since you are temporarily Scottless, your stamps are (L to R):
RA5 (perf. 10) or RA5a (11x10);
161 (rose red) or 161a (dark carmine);
RA4, RA4a, RA5, RA5a or RA7 depending on perf. and color;
RA6, RA6a, RA6b depending on color.

The RA series are postal tax stamps, obligatory during certain
periods. The tax collected went to charities, thus "Secours"

To sort out the colors, I would recommend getting a Michel
Übersee Band 9 (Mittel- und Ostasien) along with the Michel
Farbenführer. Without adequate reference material, identifying
colors according to Scott can be challenging.

Jay Carrigan change domain to mchsi
www.jaypex.com

In article , says...

Old October 29th 04, 10:21 PM
amesh \(Mette\)

Since you are temporarily Scottless, your stamps are (L to R):
RA5 (perf. 10) or RA5a (11x10);
161 (rose red) or 161a (dark carmine);
RA4, RA4a, RA5, RA5a or RA7 depending on perf. and color;
RA6, RA6a, RA6b depending on color.

The RA series are postal tax stamps, obligatory during certain
periods. The tax collected went to charities, thus "Secours"

To sort out the colors, I would recommend getting a Michel
Übersee Band 9 (Mittel- und Ostasien) along with the Michel
Farbenführer. Without adequate reference material, identifying
colors according to Scott can be challenging.

Thanks Jay - you are a true gentleman :-)
Mette

Old October 29th 04, 10:23 PM
amesh \(Mette\)

"Aepaep00 [D*]" skrev i en meddelelse
amesh \(Mette\) wrote:

[...]

Merci Yves Claude, beaucoup appreciee :-)
Thanks Yves Claude, much appreciated :-)
Amicalement
Mette