Abuse of email address

Old January 12th 04, 04:51 AM
Eric Bustad

Tracy Barber wrote:

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 13:31:30 -0700, Grandpa jsdebooATcomcast.net
wrote:

Tracy Barber wrote:

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 20:24:15 -0700, Grandpa jsdebooATcomcast.net
wrote:

Didier Cuidet wrote:

snip

I think that someone knowing your address has his computer infected by a
worm or a virus that copied his address book, and use random names in it
to send copies of it all around the world.

Thats why I use Netscape. Its not foolproof but the hackers LOVE
Micro$oft products and rarely fiddle with NS, or Mozilla if you prefer.

Hopefully, you're using one of the 4.xx versions, unless you have a
speed demon / RAM hog of a PC that can load / paly NutScrape 6.x or
7.x - they just hog your PC.

I used 4.78 until I was unable to load a number of different web sites
so I went to 7.1. Works like a champ and pics load fine, Java stuff
etc, all the new crud that 4.x can't. I've a 2.53GHz w/512mb RAM and a
high speed cable modem connection thru Comcast so pages load really fast.

Aha! So he does have a speed demon machine. Good. Try NutScrape on
a 1 GHz PC with 128 RAM. Most of the world has this or less. It'll
puke, gag and sputter until it loads 5 minutes later. In this
instance, IE makes mincemeat outta NutScrape.

I run only a paltry 400 Mhz K6-2 with 128 meg of RAM on RoadRunner,
but I've got the sucker optimized enough for speedy delivery. I don't
use NutScrape, is all. I use IE, Free Agent and OutLook. Why?
NutScrape tries to do it all and it doesn't look / feel right to me.
I'm used to the other ones.

At one point, I used "NetScape" until they bloated it. Unfortunately,
I can't go out and buy a new PC every time they ahve a new revision.
--- :^)

I will have a decent PC as soon as I set it up! (Lazy, boy, lazy...)

OK, we can now be returned to our regularly scheduled spam, blackball
and other sordid and sundry topics. :^)

I'm using Mozilla on a PC with 128 MB of RAM running at 785 MHz. Runs
just fine. Version 7 of Netscape is based on the Mozilla code, I don't
know what they added to it to make it run soooo slowly.

= Eric

Old January 12th 04, 05:59 AM
Grandpa

Tracy Barber wrote:

Thats because Mickey$oft makes illegal calls in the background to its
own apps, calls that they do not allow their 'partners' to make so it
retains pieces of code others cannot thuis seeming like its a screamer.

Illegal calls? Sounds like they have a right to make any calls to
their own software that that want to. That sounds just like sour
grapes in your response. Because you can't do it makes them a
monster. Heh... Yeah, right.

No sour grapes here, I like overall Micro$oft products and use them.
I'm simply saying that they claim you cannot do 'this' or 'that' because
of potential crashes, security issues and problems, yet they do it
themselves with IE for example only because it'll seem like it loads
faster than a competitors app when in fact thats a lie. But business is
business and MS apps work for me.

Riddle me this, Grandpa - do you REALLY think MS will reveal all to
the hackers? Heh! You aren't that old to know the answer to that
one. :^) If you think the hacks are something now, just wait until
they come through approved methods!

They don't have to, the hackers are smart enough to get the necessary
code to hack, either that or they are patient enough to keep pounding on
the wall until they find a way in.

BTW, did you know Bill Gates grew up here in Albuquerque?

Old January 12th 04, 06:35 AM
Tracy Barber

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 21:59:37 -0700, Grandpa jsdebooATcomcast.net
wrote:

Tracy Barber wrote:

[...]

No - are you searching for buried secrets? :^)

Hey, you have a good night. I'm outta here. I have some MS Access
code to write tomorrow and don't want the hackers to be able to get
past my front end, so... :^)

Tracy Barber
Old January 12th 04, 06:37 AM
Tracy Barber

wrote:

Didier Cuidet wrote:

[...]

I dunno either, other than even on a 2 GHz PC, it still takes a good
amount of time to do things. honestly, I think they changed the SW
used to write the code and it bloated out on them. This happens when
new technology is ported in. I remember DOS database apps that would
run rings around 'doZe comparable apps. But - the overhead is
apparent in 'doZe as opposed to DOS.

I don't have the full story, so I can't comment on it...

Tracy Barber
Old January 12th 04, 11:04 AM
Douglas Myall

"Bob Ingraham" wrote in message
1/11/2004 8:31 AM

Douglas Myall wrote:
"Victor Manta" wrote in message

"Mette" wrote in message

Grandpa and Dakota,

None of you are the culprits, and neither are those who
have contacted me at my yahoo-address.

snip

To find the offender it is not enough to yell out on Usenet
"stop spamming me!". I had to go other ways, and one
of them was to provoke people to contact me on my
Yahoo-address to narrow down the offender. I did well.
So many people, both from this group and others that I
read, have contacted me, so by simple exclusion methods
I can now concentrate my search among very few people.
In a few more days I will know for sure who that "friend"
was, and he/she can be sure to be killfiled for eternity,
both on my Usenet-account and my private accounts.

snip

Thank you, Dakota and Grandpa, and everybody else for
your patience :-)
--
Ann Mette Heindorff (Mette)

"Tom,
I have just answered your email in private but it bounced
back. Anyhow, I know it's not you Buddy :-)
Mette"

Three of RCSD participants (Tom, Dakota, Grandpa) aren't on the

black list

anymore. The work progresses, slowly but efficiently.

BTW, the abuse game isn't still over, because other 30 or more

permanents

here still have to somehow prove that they aren't the

"culprits".

Maybe a better place for us would be a Danish Guaxxxxxmo. Some

suggestions

for a proper place, because I'm not familiar with Denmark's

geography? :-)

Nevertheless we stay patient, isn't it?

Victor Manta

I don't think Victor needs to keep stirring this pot and his
references to a prison camp are over the top. I am content for

Mette
to do whatever is necessary to identify the person who is

plaguing
her. Even although she felt it necessary (desirable?) to inform

this
NG of her problem I do not see how that means that 30 or more NG
members are under any obligation to `prove' (Victor's word) their
innocence.

Douglas

I think the problem is that Damark is a cold and loneley place

this time
of year and some people need to get attention any way they can.

ENOUGH ALREADY! Mette Heindorff has a long and respectable history

as a
supportive and generous member of this newsgroup. She's trying to

deal with
something that she perceives as a problem, and hardly needs the

petty
criticisms that some people in the newsgroup seem all too willing to

pass
out. Check the mote in your own eye, Doug.

Her country's name is "Denmark," by the way, not "Damark."

Bob, you have completely misread my post. I was defending Mette as she
has herself recognised in a private posting. Nor am I the originator
of the `Damark' post.

Douglas

Old January 12th 04, 02:03 PM
kevin

what ever it is it is a waste of effort.... bandwidth is used in amateur
radio as well... space width, it all means the same thing.... just use yer
delete button... kk

"J. A. Mc." wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 03:59:06 -0800, "kevin" found

these
unused words floating about:

what a waste of bandspace.... kk

What's "bandspace" ... anything like selvedge?

For that you take a pair of scissors and snip.

On the internet ... it's bandwidth.

Your friend,
Kirk Splatt.

---

Old January 12th 04, 04:16 PM
Peter D

Not bothering to read the enormous thread this generated, except for a few
messagfes, I'll pass this on (FWIW).

If someone here abused your private e-mail address, changing it and
announcing the new one hardly serves to stop the abuser, does it? If the
purpose was to plant an e-mail address on the group (and I suppose different
e-mail addresses are given to other groups/persons) to catch someone here,
nothing much is achieved. After all, what will you do if you can prove
someone here abused your email address? How will you divide and conquer the
whole?

Better to just anounce to those that matter via e-mail your new address and
carry on. Life's too short and there are too many pleasant things to do than
give the abuser the pleasure of seeing you go to such measures and spend so
much time and energy on this matter.

As for the thread about people proving their innocence, I'll say this. The
burden of proof is _always_ on the accuser. Innocence is presumed _always_.
No-one should ever feel they have to prove they didn't do something. And
such an inversion of the usual prcoess is wholly inappropriate for a small
group like this.

Old January 12th 04, 04:21 PM
Peter D

"Grandpa" jsdebooATcomcast.net wrote in message
Alan wrote:

snip

Not to mention the apostrophe in the correction ...

What does apostrophe "mean" ?

Don't know about an apostrophy but I know what a Catastrophy is - an
award for the cat with the nicest buns! Moving right along.........

A lousy joke (grin) but a perfect example to others of a good snip. Pity
others haven't learned the art of the judicious snip.

Old January 12th 04, 04:44 PM
Tracy Barber

Alan wrote:

snip

Not to mention the apostrophe in the correction ...

What does apostrophe "mean" ?

Don't know about an apostrophy but I know what a Catastrophy is - an
award for the cat with the nicest buns! Moving right along.........

A lousy joke (grin) but a perfect example to others of a good snip. Pity
others haven't learned the art of the judicious snip.

Does cut and paste count?

Tracy Barber