Which do you prefer? Good original or nicely rebound?

Old April 2nd 06, 09:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Default Which do you prefer? Good original or nicely rebound?

Jeff,

The copy in the original binding would have the most value to a
collector of RLS's first editions.
There are some people who would prefer the copy that's rebound in
leather over the copy in original boards simply because the leather copy
looks better. I know of one person who only collects books bound in
leather.

I get a certain personal satisfaction that can't be measured in dollars,
when I rescue a book whose cover is in tatters, and give it new life
with either a cloth or leather binding. That is the booklover in me
speaking, and not the book collector.

Jerry Morris

(Jeff*Armstrong)
I don't think I stated the queston clearly. More detail: I collect RLS
first editions (first printings) and have two copies of the first
American edition of "A Child's Garden of Verses" published by Scribners,
1885. The first copy is in the original boards but has a faded spine and
bumped corners. The second copy I recently purchased for $18 -- it was
badly in need of rebinding. I had it re-bound, and while I wouldn't call
it a beautiful binding, it is much better than when I originally found
the book. (I've never had a book restored, but I'm doubtfull that this
would have been a candidate). I did have the spine "bound in." The
condition of the contents is essentially identical. * I will most
likely keep both copies, but I am torn as to which I really prefer so I
thought I'd ask this board which has the most value to another
collector. Again, I'm sure it is a matter of personal taste, but I'm
wondering what others think. ( the reprint, I don't think that
comment fits the purpose of this board).
You can view the two books at:
http://jjarmstr.mystarband.net/rls1a.jpg * Original Cover
http://jjarmstr.mystarband.net/rls1b.jpg * Original Spine
http://jjarmstr.mystarband.net/rls2a.jpg * Re-bound Cover
http://jjarmstr.mystarband.net/rls2b.jpg * Re-bound Spine
Interested in you opinions.
Thanks to those that have responded.
Jeff

Moi's Books About Books: http://www.tinyurl.com/hib7
Moi's LIbrary http://www.moislibrary.com My Sentimental Library
http://www.picturetrail.com/mylibrary Florida Bibliophile Society
http://www.floridabibliophilesociety.org

Old April 4th 06, 05:21 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

(Jerry Morris) wrote in
:

[...]

My deepest apologies. Before I read the reply, my only thought was how
wonderful it was that you rescued the book. There are at least two of us
out there. I wouldn't give either of the copies up. Frankly, I think I
would pull out the rebound copy more often. because it would be more
tactile and more my baby. I gather you are not into this for monetary
gain, you just like RLS.

Don't apologise for the binding, It is quite handsome. Were you in a
pecuniary mode, I believe it would sell quite well in the right venue.

Have you looked at the Grabhorn Press material on RLS? It is really
quite remarkable and all in small editions. The last time I looked, it
was relatively affordable.

Old April 4th 06, 12:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

My deepest apologies. Before I read the reply, my only thought was how
wonderful it was that you rescued the book. There are at least two of us
out there. I wouldn't give either of the copies up. Frankly, I think I
would pull out the rebound copy more often. because it would be more
tactile and more my baby. I gather you are not into this for monetary
gain, you just like RLS.

Don't apologise for the binding, It is quite handsome. Were you in a
pecuniary mode, I believe it would sell quite well in the right venue.

Have you looked at the Grabhorn Press material on RLS? It is really
quite remarkable and all in small editions. The last time I looked, it
was relatively affordable.

I appreciate your response ... I think it made up my mind as to which I
really prefer when you stated that you would reach for the rebound copy
first. You're right, I do the same ... which in my mind means I 'd rather
protect the one in original boards. Thanks for the mention of Grabhorn.
However, to my mind, that wouldn't fit in my concept of collecting RLS. At
one point I thought I'd collect pre-1900 Robinson Crusoe editions, but found
that not very satisfying after the first 15 or so. When I started my RLS
collection, I determined that I would only collect first American or British
editions and with a few exceptions (eg. 2nd of Treasure Island), I've stuck
to that. It has been an enjoyable hunt to try to fill in the collection at a
reasonable cost. Jeff