Webcast Video: Gifting Valuable Memorabilia to the Team

Old September 13th 11, 06:16 PM posted to rec.collecting.sport.misc
Diana Mertz Hsieh

Default Webcast Video: Gifting Valuable Memorabilia to the Team

In Sunday's Rationally Selfish Webcast, I discussed gifting valuable
memorabilia to the team. The question was:

*** Is it dumb to return a valuable home run baseball to the team?
When NY Yankees star Derek Jeter hit a home run for his 3000th hit,
the fan in the stands Christian Lopez who caught the ball returned it
to the Yankees, even though he was legally entitled to keep it. Some
experts estimate it could have been sold on eBay for up to $250,000.
The Yankees did give him some season tickets and team memorabilia but
nowhere near as valuable. (In fact, he may have to pay thousands of
dollars of taxes for those gifts he received from the Yankees.) Some
people praised Mr. Lopez for doing the "right thing." Other said he
was foolish for giving up something valuable that could have, say,
paid for his kids' college or been used for other important life
goals. Was he moral or immoral for returning the baseball with no
expectation of reward. ***

The video of my answer is now available on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApylRnsXFMk

If you like it, please share it! An audio recording of the full hour-
long webcast is also available as a podcast: http://bit.ly/oyMTid

All my webcast and other videos can be found on my YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/dmbrickell

Watch the Rationally Selfish Webcast live and join its text chat every
Sunday morning at 8 am PT / 9 am MT / 10 am CT / 11 am ET. Each week,
I answer questions on practical ethics and the principles of living
well, drawn from a queue of questions submitted by listeners. Just go
to http://www.RationallySelfish.com at the appointed hour!

-- DMH

Diana Hsieh (Ph.D, Philosophy, CU Boulder)
http://www.dianahsieh.com