Collecting books

Old April 1st 10, 10:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Jean B.

Default Collecting books

J wrote:
On Mar 25, 7:39 am, "Scurvy Dog" wrote:

Some dealers still haven't gotten it thru their head that the book game has
changed and they are no longer calling the shots.
They will keep schlepping the same old over-priced books from show to show and
never see the light.

I bought the book on Sunday.

I saw it when I first passed through the dealer's booth, and walked
around trying to decide if I should go for it. (I'm getting a nice tax
refund, and I *can* afford it.). Having examined all the other booths
at the fair, I went back to look at this item one last time. Just
then, a young woman picked up "my" book! I couldn't hear what she said
to the seller, but I heard him say she could have it for $100.
Apparently, this wasn't good enough for her, and she put it back.
Having almost had it bought under my nose, I was already counting the
money out.

Not only did I get a $25 discount, but he ate the tax; that seemed a
pretty generous reduction to me.

I go to fairs, but the prices there tend to be high. The last
time I told myself that I would bring a certain amount of case, no
checks, no ATM card. Then I wasn't even going to go. Then I told
myself I wanted to touch base with a couple of the dealers. Did I
listen to my good advice to myself? No. With the predictable
results. But I did get some yummy things. (I collect cookbooks
and recipe booklets--preferably from the 1800s, or at least the
early 1900s.)

--
Jean B.
Old April 4th 10, 09:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
J[_2_]

On Apr 1, 5:51�pm, "Jean B." wrote:

I go to fairs, but the prices there tend to be high. �The last
time I told myself that I would bring a certain amount of case, no
checks, no ATM card. �Then I wasn't even going to go. �Then I told
myself I wanted to touch base with a couple of the dealers. �Did I
listen to my good advice to myself? �No. �With the predictable
results. �But I did get some yummy things. �

Prices depend on dealers: some seem to hike them up for fairs, others
go in with the intention of moving as much product as possible. I've
gotten some very nice things at very reasonable prices. I am still
kicking myself for not buying the first edition of THE TIME
TRAVELLER'S WIFE that I thought was high at $55. When I came home and
checked bookfinder.com, I learned it was a bargain. Unlike the book I
described in the story above, I never saw it again...

rec.collecting.phonecards, rec.collecting.pins, rec.collecting.postal-history, rec.collecting.villages, rec.collecting.vinyl YourTrafficBoost.com Paper Money 0 August 26th 06 05:00 AM
rec.collecting.books FAQ Bud Webster Books 0 April 9th 05 07:59 AM
Books on Collecting Mame Coins 1 October 28th 04 10:56 PM
rec.collecting.books FAQ Hardy-Boys.net Books 0 May 9th 04 08:39 PM
Why rec.collecting.books? COL RSJ Books 6 February 19th 04 12:51 AM