Protesters Target U.S. Denver Mint

Old August 6th 08, 08:09 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Arizona Coin Collector

Default Protesters Target U.S. Denver Mint

Hello

On the story below, I am not a big fan of Fox News, but this
story is does show that some people never change.

I am sure they will be chanting "The Whole World Is Watching"
as they stand outside with the hand made signs.

Wonder what the "drug of choice" is for the 60-year-olds at
this protest?

FROM:
http://www.myfoxcolorado.com/myfox/p...Y&pageId=3.2.1

DNC Protesters Target Denver Mint

Last Edited: Tuesday, 05 Aug 2008, 7:59 PM MDT
Created: Tuesday, 05 Aug 2008, 7:59 PM MDT

By CHARLIE BRENNAN, Reporter

DENVER (MyFOXColorado.com) - Democratic National Convention
protesters plan to raise the roof - and the rest of the United States Mint
in Denver - later this month when the party convenes in Denver to
nominate Sen. Barack Obama as its candidate for president.

Organizers of Recreate 68, which is affiliated with at least a dozen
protest groups mobilizing for the DNC later this month, are planning
to attempt a levitation of the U.S. Mint as a statement against the
money being spent on the convention which activists feel would better
be spent on the poor.

"It's time to redistribute the wealth," reads a statement at the
Recreate68.org Web site.

"Between security and corporate payoffs, the DNC will cost over 100
million dollars for a party. We think the people deserve that money."

The statement goes on to say, "Join us as we encircle the Denver
Mint...and use our collective power to raise the Mint building in
the air and shake the money out of it for the people."

The attempted levitation is set for 5 p.m. Aug. 25, the first full
day of the four-day convention.

"We're going to have a couple thousand people surround this entire
building, and they're going to be bringing all their magic, all
their energy and everything that they have with them, and the idea
is we're going to raise this building up in the air with a little
bit of singing, a little bit of dancing," said Glenn Spagnuolo, a
co-founder and spokesman of Recreate 68.

"The way we look at it, there is so much disparity between the rich
and the poor right now that we want to take some of that money out
of the hands of the greedy. And what better place than the
Denver Mint?"

The mint, that week, will be "in maintenance mode," according to a
Mint spokesman, meaning that while staff will be there, coins will
not be in production and public tours will not be conducted. The
fact that the "maintenance mode" week is scheduled for the same
week as the DNC - and the scheduled protest - is a coincidence,
the spokesman said.

"That was planned in advance," said U.S. Mint spokesman Greg
Hernandez. He didn't appear worried about the scheme to levitate
the building, which takes up the better part of an entire
city block.

"The United States Mint Police do work with the Secret Service
and, during that week, obviously, there will be a lot more
security details located in the city. But the facility of the
United States Mint will be protected by the United States Mint
Police, and it will be, like I said, business as usual."

The planned raising of the Mint is not without precedent.
Thousands of anti-war protesters during the Vietnam conflict,
on Oct. 21, 1967, massed at the Pentagon and, under the
anarchic leadership of Yuppies including Abbie Hoffman, Jerry
Rubin and the poet Allen Ginsberg, attempted to levitate the
nerve center of the American military in an effort "exorcise"
the evil spirits they believed controlled it.

No reported levitation was observed by sober onlookers. But
there was sporadic violence when some of the protesters
managed briefly to get inside the facility, and there were a
reported 680 arrests and some blood spilled before it was over.

Spagnuolo, who has disavowed any plans for violence,
acknowledged that the levitation scheme is not entirely
original.

"We call ourselves Recreate 68, and we want to do a little
something to remember Abbie Hoffman and Jerry Rubin and the
folks that came before us," he said. "And this is kind of our
ode to them, and also our respect to the poor communities
here, 'cause poverty is a killer. And we think this is a
good way to bring some attention to that issue."

People waiting in line outside the Mint on Tuesday to go
on the public tours were mystified when told of
Recreate 68's plans.

"I don't understand," said Bob Bobo, of Colorado Springs.
"The protesters ought to spend their time doing something
else, if you ask me."

Old August 6th 08, 09:21 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Arizona Coin Collector wrote:
[...]

Yuppies? Heh. Interesting typo. Or was it?

James

Old August 6th 08, 01:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
sgt23

http://www.myfoxcolorado.com/myfox/p...ntentId=714341....

[...]

James- Hide quoted text -

Maybe Hippies?? The only one I've ever heard of out of this group is
Abbie Hoffman, and that was because of a teachers I had in 8th grade,
who just happen to be a hippie, and use to go out and do protest back
in the 60s during his college days. But I don't remember alot of
details about her, probably because of my harmones being more
interested in the girl setting next to me. I'm sure someone here will
here updated me!
Old August 6th 08, 01:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
PC[_7_]

"Arizona Coin Collector" wrote in message
news
Hello

I'm sorry - someone who is an advocate for the poor must also be a dope
smoking hippie?

Old August 6th 08, 01:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Voltronicus

On Aug 6, 8:21*am, sgt23 wrote:
[...]

It was a type for "Yippies"
Old August 6th 08, 01:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Tony Cooper

On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 05:21:06 -0700 (PDT), sgt23
wrote:

Maybe Hippies?? The only one I've ever heard of out of this group is
Abbie Hoffman, and that was because of a teachers I had in 8th grade,
who just happen to be a hippie, and use to go out and do protest back
in the 60s during his college days. But I don't remember alot of
details about her, probably because of my harmones being more
interested in the girl setting next to me. I'm sure someone here will
here updated me!

If Abbie Hoffman was a "her", then she was one of the ugliest "hers"
I've ever seen.

I was living in Chicago at the time of the Democratic National
Convention in 1968. I wandered around Lincoln Park and Grant Park and
other places in Chicago and watched the goings-on. I was 30 at the
time, and too busy being upwardly-mobile to be on the side of the
Yippies (members of the Youth International Party) and too liberal to
be on the side of Daley's police thugs, so I just watched both sides.

I did see (Abbot aka "Abbie") Howard Hoffman, Seale, and Rubin in
person. It was an interesting experience that, even at the time, I
knew would be of historical interest.

While the police did act like thugs, I did have some sympathy for
their actions. The crowds did provoke them a great deal, and I
couldn't say that I would have been able to remain calm and rational
if a group of people were spitting on me and daring me to take any
action. The crowds *wanted* that police brutality and did everything
they could to cause it.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old August 6th 08, 02:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

sgt23 wrote:
"Yuppies including Abbie Hoffman, Jerry
Rubin and the poet Allen Ginsberg"

Yuppies? Heh. Interesting typo. Or was it?

James- Hide quoted text -

Maybe Hippies?? The only one I've ever heard of out of this group is
Abbie Hoffman, and that was because of a teachers I had in 8th grade,
who just happen to be a hippie, and use to go out and do protest back
in the 60s during his college days. But I don't remember alot of
details about her, probably because of my harmones being more
interested in the girl setting next to me. I'm sure someone here will
here updated me!

Abbie Hoffman was part of the Youth International Party, commonly known as
"Yippies." They were, among other things, protesters against the Vietnam
War.

James

Old August 6th 08, 02:26 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Peter[_6_]

On Aug 6, 2:23*pm, "PC" wrote:
"Arizona Coin Collector" wrote in messagenews4Wdnex_Ro6_0wTVnZ2dnUVZ_sDinZ2d@earth link.com...

Hello

I'm sorry - someone who is an advocate for the poor must also be a dope
smoking hippie?

No, it is not a requirement. Still, various sorts of dependencies and
illness are fairly frequently observed in conjunction with poverty.
At the very least, being addicted to self-prescribed narcotics will
make most people broke, in short order (or in rare case convert a
larger estate into a small fortune).
Old August 6th 08, 03:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dave Allured

Gee, I wonder how Recreate 68 feels about pennies? The Denver mint made
3.64 billion of the little nuisances last year, more than all other
coins combined. That's, uhhh... 10,000 tons! Getting rid of them
should lighten their load a bit!

--Dave ;-)

..

Old August 6th 08, 05:11 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Voltronicus

On Aug 6, 9:26*am, Peter wrote:
I'm sorry - someone who is an advocate for the poor must also be a dope
smoking hippie?

No, it is not a requirement. *Still, various sorts of dependencies and
illness are fairly frequently observed in conjunction with poverty.
At the very least, being addicted to self-prescribed narcotics will
make most people broke, in short order (or in rare case convert a
larger estate into a small fortune).

Your response is a non sequitur in that it doesn't address those who
ADVOCATE for the poor but rather addresses some causes OF poverty.
Try a reading comprehension class before shooting off your big bazoo.