Urbid: What's happening?

Old October 22nd 03, 06:52 PM
Art O'Connell

Default Urbid: What's happening?

I haven't been to the urbid auction site for quite a while. Stopped by today
and the site looks "abandoned". Only 5 or 6 items listed and all at high
starting prices. It didn't appear that there was much bidding going on.

Anyone have the scoop?

Here's the url"

http://www.urbid-auction-site.com/cg...ion/auction.pl

--
God Bless!
Art

---

Old October 22nd 03, 07:31 PM
Bill Krummel

"Art O'Connell" wrote in message
hlink.net...
I haven't been to the urbid auction site for quite a while. Stopped by

today
and the site looks "abandoned". Only 5 or 6 items listed and all at high
starting prices. It didn't appear that there was much bidding going on.

Anyone have the scoop?

Here's the url"

http://www.urbid-auction-site.com/cg...ion/auction.pl

--
God Bless!
Art

The last I heard from Andy, he was going on a trip and said he would be
doing listings, invoicing, and shipping while on the road. His auctions
pretty much drove the site, and he has not listed anything for weeks and
weeks. I hope he is all right.

It may be he has wearied of trying to build the site. It is a difficult
task to start a successful auction site, since you can't get sellers without
good traffic,and you can't get good traffic without a lot of listings,
listings with attractive low starting bids. Bill

Old October 22nd 03, 08:36 PM
Keith Fletcher

If you think that is bad, try this:

www.bidmonkey.com

I liked the site when I first saw it, but nobody bids on anything (though
people do visit, unless the counters lie). I bought one nice large cent
there, and have some bids in on some foreign currency.

One problem is that most of the listings aren't for serious collectors.

Too bad, I would sure like to see more competition out there. I might list
a few items just to encourage them a bit.

--Keith

Old October 22nd 03, 10:05 PM
JSTONE9352

It may be he has wearied of trying to build the site. It is a difficult
task to start a successful auction site, since you can't get sellers without
good traffic,and you can't get good traffic without a lot of listings,
listings with attractive low starting bids. Bill

Another "wannbe" auction site falls to
the 900 pound Ebay gorilla.

I don't know why people even attempt
it unless to prove a point of some kind to
themselves.

Old October 29th 03, 05:06 PM
Bill Krummel

"Keith Fletcher" wrote in message
If you think that is bad, try this:

www.bidmonkey.com

I liked the site when I first saw it, but nobody bids on anything (though
people do visit, unless the counters lie). I bought one nice large cent
there, and have some bids in on some foreign currency.

One problem is that most of the listings aren't for serious collectors.

Too bad, I would sure like to see more competition out there. I might

list
a few items just to encourage them a bit.

--Keith

Well, after this post, I went to bidmonkey.com, found some auctions to bid
on and bid. One auction had a BIN, which I took advantage of. So, with
one seller, I had one win and was high bidder in one other auction. I
received my notices from bidmonkey, and I emailed the seller. This was on
the 22nd and I have not had a reply from the seller. Further, I have not
been able to access the bidmonkey site, or the auction page I won, or the
auction page I was high bid on, for the last three days.

In the meantime, Andy is back and UrBid has some new listings, worthy of a
look, imo. Bill

Old November 2nd 03, 12:48 AM
Bill Krummel

[...]

This email came today;

"Dear Member,
BidMonkey.com is located in San Diego CA. Due to the wild fires we decided
to remove our servers from the building they are located in as a
precautionary measure. BidMonkey.com was offline from Sunday October 25th to
Wednesday October 29th. We appologize if this may have caused you any
inconvenience. Many residents of Southern California were not so fortunate.
A combined total of 3,000 homes were destroyed and more than 3,000
kilometers of southern California was burned in the wild fires. BidMonkey
will award 10 Monkey Bucks to each member who donates to the American Red
Cross on behalf on the Southern California wildfires. Monkey Bucks can be
used to buy and sell items on BidMonkey. The amount you donate does not
matter; You will still receive 10MB! Simply email your donation confirmation
to and we will place 10MB in your MB account.

The American Red Cross:
http://www.sdarc.org/

Regards,
The BidMonkey Team!"