So many books, so little shelf space!

Old July 14th 03, 08:58 PM
fwdixon

Default So many books, so little shelf space!

Why, oh why, is there never enough shelf space for all my books?
--
Bob Finnan
The Hardy Boys Unofficial Home Page

Old July 14th 03, 09:43 PM
Jon Meyers

"fwdixon" wrote...
Why, oh why, is there never enough shelf space for all my books?

The same reason that, no matter how many new roads or highways you build to
relieve traffic congestion, the traffic eventually becomes too heavy on the
new roads--necessitating the construction of yet newer, wider ones.

When resources expand, the desire to use those resources quickly outstrips
the new supply. In the road scenario, when people see that there are more
and better highways, they say, "I can live farther away--where houses are
cheaper, and lots are bigger--and still get to work in the same amount of
time." And in the long run, more and more people think this, even when the
roads begin to jam up again--so they demand more roads.

In your case, when you see empty shelves, you say, "Damn, I can buy a lot
more books," but you don't stop thinking it when the shelves fill up. You
say, "I need more and bigger shelves!"

Or something like that

--
Jon Meyers
[To reply,

Old July 15th 03, 01:15 AM
paghat

In article , "fwdixon"
wrote:

Why, oh why, is there never enough shelf space for all my books?

Cuz you refuse to get rid of those shelves & shelves of beany babies?

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old July 15th 03, 12:06 PM
fwdixon

"paghat" wrote in
: Why, oh why, is there never enough shelf space for all my books?
:
: Cuz you refuse to get rid of those shelves & shelves of beany babies?

But they're sooooo cute

Old July 16th 03, 05:02 AM
Brian

Preston wrote:
Why, oh why, is there never enough shelf space for all my books?

This is so true. Although I must say, I was was in a local thrift
store recently called The Impossible Dream and I bought a nice set of
shelves for twenty-five dollars. It doubled my amount of shelf space

My problem isn't bookshelves - I can always make more - I don't
have any walls left (and most of the shelves have double rows).
....No more room under dressers or beds either...

[hmmm - aisles down the middle of the living room. more books,
but is the divorce worth it? hmmmm....]

Brian

Old July 16th 03, 06:41 AM
MindElec

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 21:02:04 -0700, Brian
declared:

Preston wrote:
Why, oh why, is there never enough shelf space for all my books?

This is so true. Although I must say, I was was in a local thrift
store recently called The Impossible Dream and I bought a nice set of
shelves for twenty-five dollars. It doubled my amount of shelf space

My problem isn't bookshelves - I can always make more - I don't
have any walls left (and most of the shelves have double rows).
...No more room under dressers or beds either...

[hmmm - aisles down the middle of the living room. more books,
but is the divorce worth it? hmmmm....]

that's my problem too, though since i'm single aisles could be a
possibility ;-)

robert

"I've been long, a long way from here
Put on a poncho, played for mosquitos,
And drank til I was thirsty again
We went searching through thrift store jungles
Found Geronimo's rifle, Marilyn's shampoo
And Benny Goodman's corset and pen"
Old July 16th 03, 12:40 PM
David Ames

"fwdixon" wrote in message ...
Why, oh why, is there never enough shelf space for all my books?

It's analogous to Parkinson's Law: "Work expands to fill the time available."

David Ames
Old July 29th 03, 02:51 AM
Tim Doyle

"Brian" wrote in message
Preston wrote:
snippage
[hmmm - aisles down the middle of the living room. more books,
but is the divorce worth it? hmmmm....]

Well, since the divorce settlement might take some or all of your books
away, you might end up with lots of shelfspace (if she doesn't take the
bookcases too)!

Regards, Tim