Visual Aids - Remainder and Edge Marks

Old July 14th 03, 01:33 AM
Doug McClure

Default Visual Aids - Remainder and Edge Marks

Random House also used a rubber stamp -- of a house -- similar to the
Simon and Schuster's stamp.

I believe that some publishers put a sticker on the book. I can't
remember which publishers, but as I recall the sticker was a small
bright green. The sticker is fairly easy to remove.

Also, some publishers use spray paint, giving the book a little
spritz.

And regrettably, some thrift stores 'date' their books by writing on
the foredges with pencils, markers, etc. Many of these markings are
little different from remainder marks.

DKM

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 18:30:20 GMT, "my-wings"
wrote:

I've posted another "Visual Aids" page to my website, this time for
Remainder and Other Edge Marks. I've also updated the main page with the
"IOBA Condition Description Definitions," which seem to be modeled pretty
closely on the old AB Bookman definitions.

http://home.att.net/~my_wings/index.html

I have a few specific questions about ARCs and one of the remainder marks I
found, but I'll ask those in separate threads so the titles will stand out.

As always, I would appreciate any comments, recommendations, clarifications,
or corrections anyone cares to make. I'd like to thank Jon Meyers and Doug
McClure for their comments and clarifications on the Book Club Visual Aids
page.

Alice

To contact me directly, send EMAIL to (single letters all)
DEE KAY EMM AT CEE TEE ESS D0T CEE OH EMM
Old July 14th 03, 03:51 AM
my-wings

"Doug McClure" wrote in message
Random House also used a rubber stamp -- of a house -- similar to the
Simon and Schuster's stamp.

I believe that some publishers put a sticker on the book. I can't
remember which publishers, but as I recall the sticker was a small
bright green. The sticker is fairly easy to remove.

Also, some publishers use spray paint, giving the book a little
spritz.

And regrettably, some thrift stores 'date' their books by writing on
the foredges with pencils, markers, etc. Many of these markings are
little different from remainder marks.

Thanks, Doug!

Jon Meyers made the same observation about the sprayed dye, but the
information about the little house icon is new. I've added both to the
descriptions.

I really appreciate your critique and help to make this be good information!

Alice

Old July 14th 03, 04:33 AM
Jon Meyers

"Doug McClure" wrote...
I believe that some publishers put a sticker on the book. I can't
remember which publishers, but as I recall the sticker was a small
bright green. The sticker is fairly easy to remove.

I have seen, on some older remaindered books, a small, red triangular
sticker with the letters "BP" affixed to the front pastedown or the front
flap of the jacket.

Some review copies are also stickered and stamped "Network--Not for Resale."
The gold-foil sticker says "Houghton Mifflin's Network of Personal
Booksellers / Keeping Each other informed." So you'll find those
stickers/stamps on books from HM and Ticknor & Fields (a one-time HM
imprint).

I also have a Random House FE--Richard Russo's "Straight Man," from
1997--with a red circular sticker on the front panel that reads "Preview
Edition / Not for resale."

--
Jon Meyers
[To reply,

Old July 27th 03, 02:45 AM
Tim Doyle

Jonathan Carroll's "Land of Laughs" (Viking, 1980) sometimes shows up with
"WHS" stamped on the ffep. I haven't heard of a good explanation of this,
though it's tempting to think that "WHS" is short for "Warehouse" thus
perhaps making it a kind of remainder mark.

Regards, Tim

Old July 28th 03, 10:09 PM
Tim Doyle

"Jon Meyers" wrote in message
"Tim Doyle" wrote...
Jonathan Carroll's "Land of Laughs" (Viking, 1980) sometimes shows up

with
"WHS" stamped on the ffep. I haven't heard of a good explanation of

this,
though it's tempting to think that "WHS" is short for "Warehouse" thus
perhaps making it a kind of remainder mark.

Yeah, I'd forgotten about that one--not on Carroll's book, but on others
I've seen. I also have suspected that it was some type of remainder mark,
but, also like you, I've never seen a reliable explanation of it--or any
explanation at all, for that matter. WHS is a common abbreviation for
"warehouse," so your guess makes sense.

A Google search turned up these tiles listed by sellers as having the WHS
mark on the ffep or page edges:

Bertram , Brian Pride of Lions Scribner; 1978
Costello, Peter Jules Verne - Inventor of Science Fiction Charles
Scribner's Sons, 1978
Eckert, Allan W. Song of the Wild Little, Brown, 1980
Fox, William Price Dixiana Moon Viking, 1981
Glenn, Jim. Programmed Poker The Inside System for Winning Rutledge

Press,
1981
Ireland, David A Woman of the Future Braziller, 1979
Malamud, Bernard Dubin's Lives Farrar Straus & Giroux, 1979

Throw in Carroll's book (1980), and there's one obvious pattern: books
published from 1978 to 1981.

If anyone can shed any light, please do...

--
Jon Meyers
[To reply,

While speculating in the absence of any real facts, I also wonder if "WHS"
might have been used as a remainder mark during the period of time you
mention by WHSmith - self-described as "the UK's number one family retailer
..... Each year WHSmith High Street stores sell ... enough books to fill a
library shelf from London to Edinburgh",

Regards, Tim

Old July 29th 03, 01:55 AM
M Hill

In article ,
H Schinske wrote:
wrote:

While speculating in the absence of any real facts, I also wonder if "WHS"
might have been used as a remainder mark during the period of time you
mention by WHSmith - self-described as "the UK's number one family retailer

I thought of that too, but why would they have so many US imprints?

--Helen

Perhaps they are from the Canadian WHSmith's, now, regretably, absorbed
into a megachain.
Matthew Hill (who tried to make this point earlier but confused reply with
forward)