USPS - Immunity from local traffic laws

Old February 2nd 13, 03:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

Default USPS - Immunity from local traffic laws

"The Postal Service requires its employees to obey all traffic laws and
rules while operating Postal Service vehicles. However, the state and/or
local ordinances imposing penalties and fines cannot be enforced as against
the Postal Service."

East Cleveland Mayor Gary Norton said he was flummoxed.

"I was unaware that the Post Office doesn't have to stop at red lights or
obey the speed limit," he said. "But since they are, I wish I'd get my mail
faster."

Source:
http://www.cleveland.com/tipoff/inde...t_pay_eas.html

--
Victor Manta, PWO, AIJP

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org/
Art on Stamps: http://artonstamps.org/
Romania by Stamps: http://marci-postale.com/

Old February 2nd 13, 04:39 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Sir F.A. Rien[_2_]

"I was unaware that the Post Office doesn't have to stop at red lights or
obey the speed limit," he said. "But since they are, I wish I'd get my mail
faster."
http://www.cleveland.com/tipoff/inde...t_pay_eas.html

Correct a far as the brainless reporter could understand.
The POST OFFICE [aka USPS] can not be fined, but each DRIVER can be!
Just as, if they cause an accident, they can be held responsible.
Old February 2nd 13, 06:20 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Jeffry Johnson

Note that these civil (not criminal) infractions are from traffic cameras. East Cleveland has numerous traffic cameras placed at school zones. East Cleveland enforces the 20 miles per hour school zone speed limit from dawn to dusk. If school is closed and no students outside, East Cleveland still mails speeding infractions to the vehicle owners.
Old February 3rd 13, 05:13 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

"Sir F.A. Rien" wrote in message
"I was unaware that the Post Office doesn't have to stop at red lights or
obey the speed limit," he said. "But since they are, I wish I'd get my
mail
faster."
http://www.cleveland.com/tipoff/inde...t_pay_eas.html

Correct a far as the brainless reporter could understand.
The POST OFFICE [aka USPS] can not be fined, but each DRIVER can be!
Just as, if they cause an accident, they can be held responsible.

"The notorious East Cleveland traffic cameras nabbed U.S. Postal Service
Vehicles breaking the law seven times and sent a notice to the Post Office
on Broadway with the bad news every driver hates to see: a picture of the
infraction and a demand for payment ...

Norton said if an individual driving a mail vehicle was stopped by a police
officer, the individual would be responsible.

He wonders why the post office dodged instead of giving up the culprits."

I wonder too.

Old February 3rd 13, 06:25 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

"Jeffry Johnson" wrote in message
Note that these civil (not criminal) infractions are from traffic cameras.
East Cleveland has numerous traffic cameras placed at school zones. East
Cleveland enforces the 20 miles per hour school zone speed limit from dawn
to dusk. If school is closed and no students outside, East Cleveland
still mails speeding infractions to the vehicle owners.

Is this, by chance, an excuse for everyone, in postal vehicles or not, for
speeding near schools?

I wonder if we should expect that the traffic cameras somehow follow the
students present in the school zones and react intelligently. This would be
a real technological breakthrough and it would deserve a commemorative
stamp!

Ref.:

Old February 3rd 13, 05:22 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Sir F.A. Rien[_2_]

"The notorious East Cleveland traffic cameras nabbed U.S. Postal Service
Vehicles breaking the law seven times and sent a notice to the Post Office
on Broadway with the bad news every driver hates to see: a picture of the
infraction and a demand for payment ...

Which they will not get.

Norton said if an individual driving a mail vehicle was stopped by a police
officer, the individual would be responsible.

Precisely !

He wonders why the post office dodged instead of giving up the culprits."

The cops have to ID the driver, it is NOT up to a company to become
police. Another example of the failure of the 'system' in that
presumption of guilt is made first and that everyone must 'snitch'.
Old February 3rd 13, 05:24 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Sir F.A. Rien[_2_]

I wonder if we should expect that the traffic cameras somehow follow the
students present in the school zones and react intelligently. This would be
a real technological breakthrough and it would deserve a commemorative
stamp!

Most school zone cameras are turned on 1/2 hour before class and off
1/2 hour after. I'd suggest that the citizenry of the location get on
their councilmen's 'backs' and have the 'law' adjusted!

If you don't take an active part in your local gummint, then DON'T
BITCH!
Old February 3rd 13, 09:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

"Sir F.A. Rien" wrote in message
"The notorious East Cleveland traffic cameras nabbed U.S. Postal Service
Vehicles breaking the law seven times and sent a notice to the Post Office
on Broadway with the bad news every driver hates to see: a picture of the
infraction and a demand for payment ...

Which they will not get.

Norton said if an individual driving a mail vehicle was stopped by a
police
officer, the individual would be responsible.

Precisely !

He wonders why the post office dodged instead of giving up the culprits."

The cops have to ID the driver, it is NOT up to a company to become
police. Another example of the failure of the 'system' in that
presumption of guilt is made first and that everyone must 'snitch'.

Yes, there is a valid "presumption of guilt", because it was pointed to by
an impartial traffic camera. The car's owner was clearly identified and it
was the USPS.

It is USPS's duty to report who was the driver, as it is the duty of any of
us who borrowed his car to somebody. If we don't do it, for any reason, we
are considered by law as being the driver himself, and we are considered
responsible for the consequences. The ownership of a car, that can be used
also as a deadly weapon, entails various responsibilities, like it or onot.

The speeding driver has a legal ways to defend himself, by using arguments
like a badly visible sign or a badly calibrated camera. This is the usual
scenario, and such arguments can or cannot convince a judge, the risk of the
driver being the increased costs of the whole procedure.

What is unusual in our case, and what brings us back to the subject of the
thread, is that the USPS seems to be excepted from the rule of law, due to
its alleged immunity from local traffic laws. I don't see why USPS should be
excepted, cars and drivers being in the whole world alike, but maybe
somebody can enlighten me on this subject.

BTW, I personally know the situation of the East Cleveland traffic, where
the 20 miles/hour zones are interspersed with a dense net of traffic lights,
a combination that can drive crazy some irascible drivers. Who doesn't like
this combination can try to change the law, as Sir Rien suggested in another
posting.

Old February 4th 13, 06:03 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Sir F.A. Rien[_2_]

The cops have to ID the driver, it is NOT up to a company to become
police. Another example of the failure of the 'system' in that
presumption of guilt is made first and that everyone must 'snitch'.

Yes, there is a valid "presumption of guilt", because it was pointed to by
an impartial traffic camera. The car's owner was clearly identified and it
was the USPS.

It is USPS's duty to report who was the driver, as it is the duty of any of
us who borrowed his car to somebody. If we don't do it, for any reason, we
are considered by law as being the driver himself, and we are considered
responsible for the consequences. The ownership of a car, that can be used
also as a deadly weapon, entails various responsibilities, like it or onot.

The cops 'consider' much that is against the Constitution. Judges
often go along, only to be overturned!

As an example, it is 'illegal' to lie to a cop. But it is 'considered'
legal to lie to a suspect to induce a supposed confession!

They also hide exculpating evidence, destroy records, etc.

Traffic cameras are 'evidence', and should not be confused with
'presumption of guilt', but then cops have such a poor performance
record ...!

Seattle cops ae under Federal scrutiny for abuse, so they are being
counseled and re-trained. Trained in how to beat up a suspect and NOT
leave marks and make sure there are NO cameras.

Same old, same old! Power corrupts. Absolutely!