Large Note Carrying And Folding?

Old July 13th 08, 05:28 AM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Coffee's For Closers

Default Large Note Carrying And Folding?

This might sound odd...

I was recently reading about the large-format US notes from (I
think) the 1920s and prior.

And that made me wonder about wallets, and the average person
carrying those notes around. Which actually is relevant today.

For example, an average wallet made now is, of course, sized for
the current types of notes. Folding in half, or in thirds.

But, back in the old days, there were many notes (in the US and
other countries) which were significantly larger, from top to
bottom.

Did they just have taller wallets, then? Or was it more common
for people to use a metal money-clip, with the wad of notes
folded in half?

Or did lots of people just stuff the notes into a pocket or
purse? Maybe folded into quarters? After all, five dollars, or
five pounds (or similar denomination) was a lot of money back
then. So you might go into town for your weekly shopping with
only one note in your possession. Which might mean that you
didn't have a wallet (since they are sort of designed to carry
multiple notes.)

And, the $64,000 question... How does this relate to the wear
patterns on those notes? If I put one into my modern wallet,
there might result a crumpled strip along the top. If I had just
one loose in my pocket, that might mean hard folds (half or
quarter.) If it was in a taller wallet, then the wear would be
more like modern notes (did they favour wither half- or third-
fold wallets then?) While a money-clip would have various levels
of fold-wear in the middle, but generally more overall wear (and
corner wear) than in an appropriately-sized wallet.

Any comments?

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/
Old July 13th 08, 10:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Dave

"Coffee's For Closers" wrote in message
g...

Did they just have taller wallets, then? Or was it more common
for people to use a metal money-clip, with the wad of notes
folded in half?

I lived in France in the 60's, and while I was a kid with very little money
of my own, I do remember the notes from the time, and my Dad's wallet. His
wallet was tall enough to hold the then-current bills without a horizontal
fold, and I'm pretty sure it folded in half vertically, like a wallet today
would be. So there was generally not a need to otherwise fold a banknote.

I do see many early notes from France which are folded once in both
directions, into quarters. These are generally some of the *huge* notes,
that were not current when I was there. So my guess is there was a limit to
the size of a wallet one was willing to carry, and at some point the large
notes just got folded before stuffing them in a wallet.

I've always liked the different sized notes that many countries use. It
makes them more interesting, as well as easier to sort through when standing
at the cash register.

Dave

Old July 14th 08, 01:57 AM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
noteworthy

Victorian and Edwardian wallets and purses were larger. Worldwide the
notes were generally quite large. The notes were known here in NZ as
"horseblankets" due to their size.

The average person tended not to carry notes as much as coins were
proportionally higher in value than today.

For instance in the US
What cost $1 in 1900 would cost $24.61 in 2007
If you were to buy exactly the same products in 2007 and 1900,
they would cost you $1 and $0.04 respectively

What cost $1 in 1920 would cost $11.89 in 2007
If you were to buy exactly the same products in 2007 and 1920,
they would cost you $1 and $0.09 respectively.

Much less faith was placed in notes - people preferred coins
containing silver or gold. Coins were available in (proportionally to
income) much higher values than today. (Morgans ($1=eq$11), Half
Eagles ($5=eq$55) (Eagles $10=eq$110) and (Double eagles / Saint
Gaudens $20=eq$220)

The larger notes (worldwide) were generally higher denomination notes.

Some vintage wallets can be seen for sale at:
http://www.rubylane.com/shops/pucker...le,id=1.5.html
http://www.jewelsofyesteryear.com/id2.html

Old July 20th 08, 09:50 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Padraic Brown

On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 21:28:11 -0700, Coffee's For Closers
wrote:

This might sound odd...

I was recently reading about the large-format US notes from (I
think) the 1920s and prior.

And that made me wonder about wallets, and the average person
carrying those notes around. Which actually is relevant today.

For example, an average wallet made now is, of course, sized for
the current types of notes. Folding in half, or in thirds.

But, back in the old days, there were many notes (in the US and
other countries) which were significantly larger, from top to
bottom.

Actually, most tri-fold wallets made even now are actually designed to
accomodate those old notes. Try it some time. Take a couple pieces of
paper the same size as the old notes and stick em in a trifold wallet!

Did they just have taller wallets, then? Or was it more common
for people to use a metal money-clip, with the wad of notes
folded in half?

*Most people* probably never carried much folding money around any
way. In the late 1890s / early 1900s, the average salary was something
$5 or $6 a week. Not much of a wad there!

Or did lots of people just stuff the notes into a pocket or
purse?

Mr Carnegie might have stuffed wads of notes into his pockets.

Maybe folded into quarters? After all, five dollars, or
five pounds (or similar denomination) was a lot of money back
then.

Yeah. Nearly a week's salary!

So you might go into town for your weekly shopping with
only one note in your possession. Which might mean that you
didn't have a wallet (since they are sort of designed to carry
multiple notes.)

And, the $64,000 question... How does this relate to the wear
patterns on those notes? If I put one into my modern wallet,
there might result a crumpled strip along the top.

Possibly not. Depends on the design of the wallet. I've had modern
wallets entirely acceptable for carrying around old style notes.