Pen advice needed..

Old May 29th 08, 02:06 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Rainy

Default Pen advice needed..

Hi, I want to get a nice new fountain pen. I've used lamy safari
before but then someone " borrowed " it. Last few years I've used
Rotring Core and I like it well enough. I like the fact that it has a
better ink flow than lamy but I liked lamy for having a more flexible
nib. Generally speaking I don't want to spend more than about $150,
and I don't care about looks at all, I only want it to be a pleasure
to write with. I'm leaning towards vintage Parker 51. From what I
understand one of the best things about it is its reliability. I don't
care so much about that, my main concern is that it should be a
pleasure to write with, preferably have a very flexible nib, perfect
inkflow and smooth writing. What is the best pen for me?

On another note, I've found that the best paper for Rotring Core is
25% cotton southworth. I don't like woodpulp papers because they're
not as smooth and durable and I don't like 100% cotton paper I have (I
think also southworth) because it feels more like writing on plastic
than 25%, although it also works pretty good and of course is even
more durable. I've also used ampad golden fibre but didn't like it too
much - it's not very smooth. By the way my Rotring is SF, so it's
really picky about smoothness of paper.

Any and all advice much appreciated!
Old May 29th 08, 04:30 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Deirdre Saoirse Moen[_2_]

Rainy wrote:
Hi, I want to get a nice new fountain pen. I've used lamy safari
before but then someone " borrowed " it. Last few years I've used
Rotring Core and I like it well enough. I like the fact that it has a
better ink flow than lamy but I liked lamy for having a more flexible
nib. Generally speaking I don't want to spend more than about $150,
and I don't care about looks at all, I only want it to be a pleasure
to write with. I'm leaning towards vintage Parker 51. From what I
understand one of the best things about it is its reliability. I don't
care so much about that, my main concern is that it should be a
pleasure to write with, preferably have a very flexible nib, perfect
inkflow and smooth writing. What is the best pen for me?

The best modern fountain pen for flexibility would be the Pilot
Custom 742 with a Falcon (FA) nib. (Note: Not the Pilot Falcon!)

These can be ordered from the Ujuku shop, but come in black with gold
trim only.

See: eBay item 120187386888

I've written with one, they're very very nice writers. They'll run you
just a hair over $200 with shipping, though.

--
_Deirdre web: http://deirdre.net blog: http://dsmoen.livejournal.com/
"Memes are a hoax! Pass it on!"
Old May 29th 08, 04:31 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Deirdre Saoirse Moen[_2_]

krishnananda wrote:
You might want to look into a vintage black hard rubber Waterman, such
as a model 52 or, if you want a more substantial nib, a model 55. These
are liver-fillers and have some of the most expressive nibs ever made.

I have a nice vintage Waterman and also recently sold a vintage Conklin
that had a nice flex nib.

Old May 29th 08, 09:35 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Inspiring Discovery

On May 29, 6:06*am, Rainy wrote:
Generally speaking I don't want to spend more than about $150,
and I don't care about looks at all, I only want it to be a pleasure
to write with. I'm leaning towards vintage Parker 51. From what I
understand one of the best things about it is its reliability. I don't
care so much about that, my main concern is that it should be a
pleasure to write with, preferably have a very flexible nib, perfect
inkflow and smooth writing. What is the best pen for me?

If you decide to buy vintage, you have a lot of choices, but you
really have to know who restored it and whether they stand behind it.
Even a reliable 51 poorly restored can give you headaches. Your price
range can buy you a lot of very nice vintage pens - my preference is
the 20's and 30's pens and I like flex nibs. I prefer Wahls, but they
can get awfully pricey. A 51 definitely won't give you flex.

I LOVE Wahl Oxfords as cheap pens with fantastic nibs. Spend between
$90 and $120 on a decently restored one.

Also with vintage, your price is typically based on the condition of
the pen, not the quality of the writing experience. You can get an
ambered Parker Duofold or something like this reasonably priced if all
you are concerned with is the writing experience.

If you don't have access to a good pen restorer you can trust, get a
Lamy 2000. No modern pens will give you vintage flex, but a 2000 has a
bit of a "soft" nib. Its got an ultra-reliable piston in it too
(although some people have had problems). It will run you between $90
and $120.
Old May 29th 08, 05:48 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
JP

"Deirdre Saoirse Moen" wrote in message
krishnananda wrote:
You might want to look into a vintage black hard rubber Waterman, such
as a model 52 or, if you want a more substantial nib, a model 55. These
are liver-fillers and have some of the most expressive nibs ever made.

I have a nice vintage Waterman and also recently sold a vintage Conklin
that had a nice flex nib.

--
_Deirdre web: http://deirdre.net blog: http://dsmoen.livejournal.com/
"Memes are a hoax! Pass it on!"

I prefer flex nibs.
I like vintage Conklin and Waterman, 70 - 100 years old
I have a Conklin Crescent filler with a great nib.
The Waterman's I prefer are 12, 14 and 52.
But I also have a Mabie Todd Blackbird that's
almost a noodle.
The old Waterman eyedroppers have incredible ink capacity.

The parker 51 is reliable and smooth, but no flex.

Richard Binder offers new Pelikans with specialty ground nibs
including added flex. http://www.richardspens.com/

I've found Pelikan nibs to be smooth
and the pens have excellent ink capacity.

I like vintage pens but whether eBay or a pen show
most have to be sent for repair before they can be used.
And many have their odd little quirks.

I doubt the Lamy Safari had a flexible nib.
I had four and they were all comfortable and very very smooth writers,
no flex at all though.
I found Rotrings to be too heavy and very stiff.

Real flex nibs take some getting used to.
The pleasure comes after developing some technique.
You may want to try before you buy if possible.

JP

Old May 29th 08, 08:59 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Rainy

Thanks for a great number of helpful answers! I did in fact use one
pen with a very flexible nib - a Pilot Varsity. Unfortunately it has a
lousy ink and is not refillable. I'm still not sure what to get,
though. I'm in Brooklyn, are there good places here or in Manhattan
that can repair vintages? By the way, does snorkel pen have a flexible
nib? Are there any upcoming pen shows in NYC? I don't have a car so I
can't drive to a show upstate.. I'm thinking of getting one of the
recommended vintage pens on ebay and, if it does not work well,
sending it out to repair. Is there a better place to buy pens vs.
ebay? I decided not to get the Parker 51 because having a flexible nib
would be a big plus for my taste.
Old May 29th 08, 11:07 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Inspiring Discovery

As a general rule, Sheaffers and Parkers have stiff nibs, although
there are exceptions particularly early Sheaffers (pre 1920) and
Canadian Parkers. So your snorkel is likely to have a very stiff nib.

In Manhattan there is obviously the Fountain Pen Hospital downtown.
They are pricey but a huge selection. Also there is Berliner Pen
somewhere in the 20's and B'way (?). Look for their pens on Ebay from
time to time. I've bought two from him, one was terrific, the other
not so terrific.

I would strongly suggest that until you had a handle on what you were
looking for that you not buy a pen on Ebay as a first go around,
particularly vintage. Its a real dice roll. If you do, stick with a
lever fill pen (lever is on the side of the pen) and expect to pay $30
for a proper restore job. Stay away from pumps and pistons as you
can't be sure what is wrong with them.

There's a Jersey pen show, and I don't know if public transportation
will get you there. Should be around November.

Old May 30th 08, 05:30 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Norman M. Schwartz

Rainy wrote:
Thanks for a great number of helpful answers! I did in fact use one
pen with a very flexible nib - a Pilot Varsity. Unfortunately it has a
lousy ink and is not refillable. I'm still not sure what to get,
though. I'm in Brooklyn, are there good places here or in Manhattan
that can repair vintages? By the way, does snorkel pen have a flexible
nib? Are there any upcoming pen shows in NYC? I don't have a car so I
can't drive to a show upstate.. I'm thinking of getting one of the
recommended vintage pens on ebay and, if it does not work well,
sending it out to repair. Is there a better place to buy pens vs.
ebay? I decided not to get the Parker 51 because having a flexible nib
would be a big plus for my taste.

I can't put my hands on my Estie booklet, but the 9048 nib on one of mine
has some flex. Other nibs might be available with even greater flex. They
can all be inexpensive.

Old May 30th 08, 06:13 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Rainy

On May 30, 1:01*pm, krishnananda wrote:
In article ,
*"Norman M. Schwartz" wrote:

Rainy wrote:
[...]

This is actually an important point -- Esterbrooks are not only
bargains, there are a huge number of interchangeable nibs floating
around in the pen world. Esties used sprig steel for the nibs.
Expressive dip pens also used spring steel because using different
tempering the spring and flex of the nib could be very carefully
controlled.

Steel nibs are not to be sneezed at. 18K gold, having 75% gold content,
is a very soft metal. Very hard to make a true flexible nib out of soft
gold. The 100-year-old Waterman and Wahl nibs are 14K, or 58.5% gold,
allowed for tinkering with the alloys to make them more or less
flexible. John Mottishaw, jeweler, metallurgist, sculptor, and most
important, nib maker. gives talks on differential tempering at pen
shows. If you ever get a chance to attend he is a wonderful teacher (and
nib modifier). http://www.nibs.com

BTW to the OP there is a New York City pen show Sept. 19, 20, & 21 2008
at The Renaissance Newark Airport Hotel. This is usually a great show
because the manufacturers like well-heeled New Yorkers g and put on
some really good exhibitions.

Info: http://www.nycpenshow.com/home.html

Disclaimer: No affiliation with the pen show, just like having one
nearby.

--k

But that hotel is in Elizabeth, NJ?
Old May 31st 08, 01:41 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Deirdre Saoirse Moen[_2_]

krishnananda wrote:
This is actually an important point -- Esterbrooks are not only
bargains, there are a huge number of interchangeable nibs floating
around in the pen world. Esties used sprig steel for the nibs.

I like the variety of available nibs for the esties, though I've
never owned one.

Steel nibs are not to be sneezed at.

Unless they're some of the modern crap steel nibs.

I like *good* steel nib, but mostly what you find in modern pens are
*bad* steel nibs. I like the Stipula steel nibs, which have a bit of
feedback (as Stipula gold nibs tend to), but aren't too springy.

--
_Deirdre web: http://deirdre.net blog: http://dsmoen.livejournal.com/
"Memes are a hoax! Pass it on!"

Parenting advice needed J Hopper Autographs 0 February 27th 06 02:28 PM
Advice Needed renster General Discussion 11 July 27th 04 12:25 PM
Advice Needed Sam Hess Coins 8 July 15th 04 10:25 PM
Help or advice needed John Books 0 July 14th 04 08:40 PM