Anyone find the 605 a bit scratchy?

Old October 5th 04, 01:42 AM
John B. Egger

Default Anyone find the 605 a bit scratchy?

I just filled my Levenger's Pelikan 605 with Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue and
put it to paper. It seems a little scratchy. Not bad... but it may not
be quite as smooth as my Waterman Phileas, and it definitely isn't as
smooth as the Namiki Vanishing Point that's become my favorite pen.

I've only written a few hundred words with the Pelikan, on various kinds
of paper. (Nothing coated, to my knowledge, but its very first words
were in the margin of a newspaper that happened to be lying nearby.)
Maybe it just needs a little more use. Nice enough looking pen; I hope
its performance turns out to exceed that of the $30 Phileas.

--
--John
Registered Linux User #291592
Old October 5th 04, 02:25 AM
David

On 2004-10-04 17:42:53 -0700, "John B. Egger" said:

I just filled my Levenger's Pelikan 605 with Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue
and put it to paper. It seems a little scratchy. Not bad... but it may
not be quite as smooth as my Waterman Phileas, and it definitely isn't
as smooth as the Namiki Vanishing Point that's become my favorite pen.

Well, "the" 605 isn't scratchy, but "your" 605 could have turned out to
be scratchy. Maybe it has a minor problem - tines slightly out of
alignment, for instance.

If it isn't satisfactory, and you don't fix that kind of thing
yourself, take it to someone who does. Or send it back.

David

Old October 5th 04, 03:03 AM
Garglemonster

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 00:42:53 GMT, "John B. Egger" said:

John I just filled my Levenger's Pelikan 605 with Pelikan 4001
John Royal Blue and put it to paper. It seems a little
John scratchy. Not bad... but it may not be quite as smooth as my
John Waterman Phileas, and it definitely isn't as smooth as the
John Namiki Vanishing Point that's become my favorite pen.

John I've only written a few hundred words with the Pelikan, on
John various kinds of paper. (Nothing coated, to my knowledge,
John but its very first words were in the margin of a newspaper
John that happened to be lying nearby.) Maybe it just needs a
John little more use.

i think the tines probably need adjustment. look at the tip of the
nib under magnification

it should look something like this:

___
( | )
- -
/ \

tine0 tine1

in the simplest case, tine0 is higher or lower than tine1. this
doesn't come out well in ascii renderings, so i'll pass with the
illustration. keep in mind that one or both tines could also be
rotated, so that instead of a slit, you see an inverted V.

____
( /\ )
- -

this causes scratchiness because the inner surface of the slit isn't
polished. (and why should it be? it's not supposed to contact the
paper). you could also have a combination of the two problems (which
is common), or some other problem.

in any case, the nib shouldn't be scratchy, and you should probably
exercise your rights under the warranty.

--

I want a WESSON OIL lease!!
Old October 5th 04, 04:11 AM
Sonam Dasara

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 00:42:53 GMT, John B. Egger typed:

I just filled my Levenger's Pelikan 605 with Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue and
put it to paper. It seems a little scratchy. Not bad... but it may not
be quite as smooth as my Waterman Phileas, and it definitely isn't as
smooth as the Namiki Vanishing Point that's become my favorite pen.

I've only written a few hundred words with the Pelikan, on various kinds
of paper. (Nothing coated, to my knowledge, but its very first words
were in the margin of a newspaper that happened to be lying nearby.)
Maybe it just needs a little more use. Nice enough looking pen; I hope
its performance turns out to exceed that of the $30 Phileas.

No, I just received mine and was surprised at what a wonderful writer it
was out of the box!

Yours should not be scratchy; the nib needs an adjustment, and since it is
brand-new, I think that you should return it...
--
Cordially,

Sonam Dasara
10/4/2004 11:09:26 PM