Is It Just Me?

Old October 3rd 09, 06:24 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

Default Is It Just Me?

I was trying to search Google Groups for info in our past posts and got the
error that the search string or phrase wasn't found, try to modify the
spelling, etc.

I tried such things as "refill" and "Bluesea" but they didn't work in either
Firefox or IE. For example:

"Your search - refill - did not match any documents."

They're joking, right?

For "ink" there was only one result dated Sept. 15, 2009. For "pens" there
were only three results, also from last month.

I'm concerned that our knowledge base has been lost.

Am I the only one that can't search?

--
~~Bluesea~~
Spam is great in musubi, but not in email.

Old October 3rd 09, 08:31 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Stephen Hust

"Bluesea" wrote:

I was trying to search Google Groups for info in our past posts
and got the error that the search string or phrase wasn't found,
try to modify the spelling, etc.

I tried such things as "refill" and "Bluesea" but they didn't
work in either Firefox or IE. For example:

"Your search - refill - did not match any documents."

They're joking, right?

For "ink" there was only one result dated Sept. 15, 2009. For
"pens" there were only three results, also from last month.

I'm concerned that our knowledge base has been lost.

Am I the only one that can't search?

As people have remarked in other groups, the group-search doesn't
seem to work as well as it used to (a couple of years ago).

Using the Advanced Search option I searched for the word "refill"
and got quite a few matches:

http://groups.google.com/groups/search?safe=off&q=refill+group%3Aalt.collecting.pe ns-pencils&btnG=Search&sitesearch=groups.google.com

Using Advanced Search for author "Bluesea" I got several matches:

http://groups.google.com/groups/search?safe=off&q=group:alt.collecting.pens-pencils+author:bluesea&sitesearch=groups.google.co m&sa=N&start=10

--
Steve

My e-mail address works as is.
Old October 5th 09, 10:47 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

"l, not -l" wrote in message

On 3-Oct-2009, "Bluesea" wrote:

"Your search - refill - did not match any documents."

They're joking, right?

For "ink" there was only one result dated Sept. 15, 2009. For "pens"
there

were only three results, also from last month.

I'm concerned that our knowledge base has been lost.

Am I the only one that can't search?

--

Users on rec.food.cooking have been complaining of similar issues with
Google Groups; so, no, it's not just you and it's not just

Thanks. I just haven't seen it mentioned in the other groups I read and, not
having problems with other groups I've searched, didn't know what to think.

Old October 5th 09, 10:48 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

"Stephen Hust" wrote in message
"Bluesea" wrote:

[...]

Thanks! I didn't think about using Advanced Search because I haven't had
problems with other groups I've been searching and the other groups I read
haven't mentioned problems.

--
~~Bluesea~~happily off to search a.c.p-p
Spam is great in musubi, but not in email.

Old October 9th 09, 03:00 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Alan J

"Bluesea" wrote in message

"l, not -l" wrote in message

On 3-Oct-2009, "Bluesea" wrote:

"Your search - refill - did not match any documents."

They're joking, right?

For "ink" there was only one result dated Sept. 15, 2009. For "pens"
there

were only three results, also from last month.

I'm concerned that our knowledge base has been lost.

Am I the only one that can't search?

--

Users on rec.food.cooking have been complaining of similar issues with
Google Groups; so, no, it's not just you and it's not just
alt.collecting.pens-pencils

Thanks. I just haven't seen it mentioned in the other groups I read and,
not having problems with other groups I've searched, didn't know what to
think.

A quick update on the Google Groups search problem - they are fixing it,
according to this article:
http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2009/10/usenet_fix/

Try your searches again.

--
Alan
Replace the zeds with ninety-nine

Old October 10th 09, 10:30 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

"Alan J" wrote in message

A quick update on the Google Groups search problem - they are fixing it,
according to this article:
http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2009/10/usenet_fix/

Try your searches again.

Thanks, it still isn't working correctly. For example, using "refill
bluesea" gets only the five posts I've done this month with those words.
When I used "refill john cline" I got 426 results including three on the
first page of results that I posted back in 2004.

However, using Advanced Search as Stephen recommended got me the info that I
knew was there about ultrasonic cleaners.

Old October 11th 09, 09:05 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Alan J

"Bluesea" wrote in message

"Alan J" wrote in message

A quick update on the Google Groups search problem - they are fixing it,
according to this article:
http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2009/10/usenet_fix/

Try your searches again.

Thanks, it still isn't working correctly. For example, using "refill
bluesea" gets only the five posts I've done this month with those words.
When I used "refill john cline" I got 426 results including three on the
first page of results that I posted back in 2004.

However, using Advanced Search as Stephen recommended got me the info that
I knew was there about ultrasonic cleaners.

Yes, you're right; it still isn't properly fixed. Maybe they should quit
while they are winning.

I'm tempted by ultrasonic cleaners - I'd be interested to hear how you get
on.

Old October 12th 09, 01:21 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

"Alan J" wrote in message
"Bluesea" wrote in message

"Alan J" wrote in message

A quick update on the Google Groups search problem - they are fixing it,
according to this article:
http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2009/10/usenet_fix/

Try your searches again.

Thanks, it still isn't working correctly. For example, using "refill
bluesea" gets only the five posts I've done this month with those words.
When I used "refill john cline" I got 426 results including three on the
first page of results that I posted back in 2004.

However, using Advanced Search as Stephen recommended got me the info
that I knew was there about ultrasonic cleaners.

Yes, you're right; it still isn't properly fixed. Maybe they should quit
while they are winning.

I'm tempted by ultrasonic cleaners - I'd be interested to hear how you get
on.

No!!! I want it ALL fixed RIGHT. Of course, not having it fixed allows us to
develop an elite mindset for knowing how to find the secrets hidden deep
within the archive evil grin.

Okay, I'll post my impressions. Please don't hold your breath, however, as I
still haven't decided which one I'll buy.

Something I've been wondering - if we're better off dedicating a pen to Bay
State Blue because it doesn't play well with other inks, wouldn't an US
cleaner get a pen good and clean for us to be able to ignore the advice?

Old October 12th 09, 12:23 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Alan J

"Bluesea" wrote in message

"Alan J" wrote in message
"Bluesea" wrote in message

"Alan J" wrote in message

[...]

A year or so ago, someone at google was tinkering with GG, and the archive
was "differently broken" every week or so. I hope we're not going to see a
repetition of that!

I'm using a broad Rotring Art Pen for Bay State Blue. It's not a disaster if
it clogs up. I wonder if an ultrasonic cleaner would get the stains off my
favourite MB.

Old October 12th 09, 10:50 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Alan J

"l, not -l" wrote in message

On 12-Oct-2009, "Alan J" wrote:

I'm using a broad Rotring Art Pen for Bay State Blue. It's not a disaster
if
it clogs up. I wonder if an ultrasonic cleaner would get the stains off
my

favourite MB.

In use this week:
- Inkograph bhr w/gold overlay stylographic pen filled with Sheaffer
Peacock blue (vintage) ink
- amber Waterman Carene with stub nib, filled with Waterman's Florida Blue
- cadmium yellow Sheaffer Imperial with fine nib, filled with Noodler's
Lapis Legal
- Esterbrook 8-ball deskset with chained ballpoint; though exact refills
are not available, a slightly modified Cross refill works well.

Well, I can play this game: In use a

Sailor 1911 (the small type) filled with Noodler's blue.

Medium Falcon, with Diamine blue (under-rated ink).

Parker Junior Duofold (circa 1971) with Noodler again.

An old (circa 1980?) felt pen, with replaceable refills: "Tallon" brand,
with an MB ballpoint refill cunningly bodged in. It fit perfectly, but it
was a bit too short, so it needed about 7mm of spacer.