Change in pen behavior over one writing session?

Old May 31st 08, 04:24 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Aaron Hsu[_3_]

Default Change in pen behavior over one writing session?

Hey all,

Writing about dip pens got me to thinking about a question I have had
for a while. I have a set of steel very flexible medium point steel dip
pens. They work great, but I notice that over time, when using Encre
Authentique, the behavior of the writing changes. That is, when I start
writing for the first 15 minutes I suppose, the ink flows a certain way,
and then I notice that the ink seems to start flowing more heavily, and
has a slightly higher chance of globbing or jumping off the pen.

Is this an issue that is random, known, solvable? Is it due to the pen
or the ink? It's not so much of a problem, but it does require me to
adjust the way I write partially through my writing session. Sort of how
Mont Blancs change slightly when they have been writing continuously for
a bit.

--
Aaron Hsu | Jabber:
``Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to
Old May 31st 08, 05:19 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
The Visitor

I would be the last person to be right, but if you clean the nib, does
the cycle start anew?

John

Old May 31st 08, 11:26 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Aaron Hsu[_3_]

The Visitor wrote:

Aaron Hsu wrote:

[...]

I have tried that, and sometimes it does, but then I can see debris on
the nib. :-) Usually, I don't notice that much of a change.

Old June 3rd 08, 04:36 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
JimL

On May 31, 5:26 pm, (Aaron Hsu) wrote:
The Visitor wrote:
Aaron Hsu wrote:

[...]

1. With longer writing, you are pressing down more, softening the
flex nib, making the tines separate more.

2. With longer writing, your hand is transferring warmth to the
ink,making it flo more easily.

3. WIth longer writing, you are picking up more paper crap into your
nib.

If you want to dip,switch to a glass pen.

Old June 3rd 08, 11:12 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Brian Ketterling

In ,
JimL wrote:

1. With longer writing, you are pressing down more, softening the
flex nib, making the tines separate more.

2. With longer writing, your hand is transferring warmth to the
ink,making it flo more easily.

3. WIth longer writing, you are picking up more paper crap into your
nib.

To me, only (3) sounds like a genuine physical phenomenon. I don't think
that a spring can "soften" during use, then recover. And if (2) were
occurring, then it seems like

If you want to dip,switch to a glass pen.

would make it worse. Instead of a relatively poor thermal connection
between a wood handle and the pen, you'd have a continuous piece of glass.

Brian

Old June 3rd 08, 11:22 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
MatthewK

On 2008-06-03, Brian Ketterling wrote:
In ,
JimL wrote:

1. With longer writing, you are pressing down more, softening the
flex nib, making the tines separate more.

2. With longer writing, your hand is transferring warmth to the
ink,making it flo more easily.

3. WIth longer writing, you are picking up more paper crap into your
nib.

To me, only (3) sounds like a genuine physical phenomenon. I don't think
that a spring can "soften" during use, then recover. And if (2) were
occurring, then it seems like

Is 1 even possible...must get out my metalurgy book later...
Old June 3rd 08, 04:30 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
JimL

On 2008-06-03, Brian Ketterling wrote:

,
JimL wrote:

1. *With longer writing, you are pressing down more, softening the
flex nib, making the tines separate more.

2. With longer writing, your hand is transferring warmth to the
ink,making it flo more easily.

3. WIth longer writing, you are picking up more paper crap into your
nib.

To me, only (3) sounds like a genuine physical phenomenon. *I don't think
that a spring can "soften" during use, then recover. *And if (2) were
occurring, then it seems like

Is 1 even possible...must get out my metalurgy book later...

Your hands are made of metal? gee!

Old June 3rd 08, 07:04 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
The Visitor

I ahve the thought that it could be, as you write, the ink is somewhat
drying on the nib. Causing a build-up of "thicker ink" hanging on the
nib allowing it to hold less "fresh ink". Fresh meaning having a more
correct amount of solvent. Just a thought, and I suppose it could be
worse if the ink has built up some "open time" in the bottle, thicking
it that much more. Thoughts?

John

Old June 4th 08, 04:23 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Aaron Hsu[_3_]

The Visitor wrote:

Aaron Hsu wrote:
The Visitor wrote:

Aaron Hsu wrote:

[...]

I have thought that this could be the case, but I have not tested it.
Next time I do some writing, I will test it with more frequent nib
wipes, and see if it changes the dynamic any.

Old June 4th 08, 04:23 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Aaron Hsu[_3_]

The Visitor wrote:
Aaron Hsu wrote:

[...]

That's quite impossible. Glass pens are nice, but I won't get the right
feel for which I am looking, specifically, I want the nib to splay when
I press down. :-) Spencerian is harder to do with glass pens.

As for point one, I can see then, but if that were really the case, I
would expect the tines to stay splayed, but they do not. Are you saying
that writing can warm a pen enough to change its shape, I really don't
believe this, because the pen is never very warm. Do you have a
reference?

Three sounds more reasonable.