Spar 8 Tracks

Old January 25th 14, 06:51 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
Paul Urbahns

Default Spar 8 Tracks

I am searching for 8 track tapes on the Spar label. Many times they are sound-a-likes of current hits with made-up names like The Now Generation, Nashville Country Jamboree, etc. If you do not have any tapes maybe you have run across a catalog or sale list lists releases.
Thanks!

Paul Urbahns
Radcliff, Ky
Old February 25th 14, 08:35 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
DeserTBoB[_2_]

On Sat, 25 Jan 2014 09:51:13 -0800 (PST), Paul Urbahns
wrote:

I am searching for 8 track tapes on the Spar label. Many times they are sound-a-likes of current hits with made-up names like The Now Generation, Nashville Country Jamboree, etc. If you do not have any tapes maybe you have run across a catalog or sale list lists releases.
Thanks!

Paul Urbahns
Radcliff, Ky

"Spar" was a truck stop brand popular in the 1960s through early '70s.
What they did was take "cover bands" (usually found in bars and honky
tonks) and had them "cover" big hits of other, better artists.

These truck stop carts are very rare today, as the musical content was
usually marginal at best, and the quality of the recordings were even
worse, usually.

I believe Spar (and many other fly-by-night labels servicing truck
stops were shut down due to copyright violations in the '70s. I have
run across them, and they're usually pretty awful!
Old April 12th 16, 01:21 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
frschoonover

I have a few Spar 8-Track's myself. I recently scored one via a seller in a Facebook group alongside several others, with three of them still sealed. That recent score is in mint condition and is in it's original slipcase. I have a few others that I scored many years ago in the late 1990's in a case full of 8-Tracks that were mostly country music. At the moment, I am not interested in selling them, but if I ever change my mind, I will let you know, Mr. Urbahns.

Thanks for asking. Thanks also for the info, DeserTBob

Old April 12th 16, 09:06 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
Andy

Spar or spare?
kates track shack is makeing me an offer to buy my pro model sony 8 track
tape corder

--
AL'S COMPUTERS

Old April 12th 16, 10:31 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
frschoonover

On Tuesday, April 12, 2016 at 4:07:26 AM UTC-4, Andy wrote:
Spar or spare?
kates track shack is makeing me an offer to buy my pro model sony 8 track
tape corder

--
AL'S COMPUTERS

Spar Andy. Spar was another one of those pirated 8-Track labels that were sold at truck stops and, at times, flea markets. They usually featured covers bands doing sound alike recordings of hits of the day. I recently scored one from a guy in Oklahoma where I bought a whole bunch of tapes from. Depending on what player you played them on, they usually didn't sound very good. The company wasn't around for very long. There was also competition from other pirated 8-Track tape labels, with most of them compiling multiple songs from various artists onto one tape or songs from the same artist onto one tape. I remember at gas stations and convenience stores, when someone bought two packs of a few particular brands of cigarettes, such as Kool, Salem, Winston, Bel-Air or Raleigh, they would get a free pirated 8-Track with the purchase of them. I don't know how the tobacco companies got away with that, but they did.

Thanks for asking, Andy.

Old April 13th 16, 08:39 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
Andy

So an early day napster or pirate bay type thing you hear about all the
time.
or the good old use net news groups that not many use any more
maby spar was run by noodles

[...]

DC5 8 Tracks? still_trackin 8 Track Tapes 1 March 14th 08 09:17 PM
8 Tracks???? Dan 3.75 8 Track Tapes 15 October 9th 06 11:52 PM
8 Tracks???? [email protected] 8 Track Tapes 16 October 9th 06 02:13 PM
have these 8 tracks origmnd 8 Track Tapes 1 February 20th 04 11:53 AM
FS: 8-Tracks For $1 Each Lynne 8 Track Tapes 0 July 25th 03 04:52 AM