2 full text issues added to public domain stamp collecting web site

Old November 17th 03, 05:48 AM

Default 2 full text issues added to public domain stamp collecting web site

I have added the full text of the articles found in the following two
newspapers to the public domain stamp collecting web site.

Mekeel's Weekly Stamp News Feb 11, 1911
http://www.geocities.com/pdstampinfo...2_11_issue.htm

Mekeel's Weekly Stamp News Feb 18, 1911
http://www.geocities.com/pdstampinfo...2_18_issue.htm

Full website is http://www.geocities.com/pdstampinfo/

Contents of the two issues are listed at the end of this message.

I am scanning and converting to text these individual issues at
the rate of 3 to 4 hours per issue.

---------------------------------------
Mekeel's Weekly Stamp News Feb 11, 1911 Volume XXV, Number 6, Whole
Issue Number 1050

1. Specialized collecting advocated
2. Boston Philatelic Society meeting announcement for Feb 17, 1911
meeting
3. Liberia presidential election and political background
information
4. St Valentine's Stamp Club
5. Editorial
1. King George exhibit at South Essex Philatelic Society -
Feb 4 - 11, 1911
2. APS exhibition in Chicago
3. Stickless gum - Found on early printings of the 1894 USA
issues as well as USA stamps in use in 1911
4. C.E. Jenny - mention of a book of poetry from a
philatelist
5. London Times book review of "Dak Dicta. A selection of
verses written in Calcutta" by Wilmont Corfield - a
philatelist
6. USA local issue black on red paper with inscription
"Johnson's Free P. O. Box, No. 7 N. 10th St.,
Philadelphia"
is not bogus
7. Chicago company used 1500 precancelled 50 cent USA issues
for mailing books or catalogs. 1,078,000 precancels used
by one company in Feb 1901 with denomations 1 cent to 50
cents
6. "Why I Collect Precancels" essay competition announcement
7. AES (American Envelope Society) and NEPA (New England
Philatelic Association) merged and have the new name "New
England
Philatelic Association and the American Envelope Society
(Consolidated)"
8. C. E. Hussman Stamp Co. auction results for British Colombia;
Hati;
Spanish Marianne; Fredericksburg VA; Lenior NC; Tellico Plains
9. News from England
1. South Africa stamps ordered from London office arrive
slower
than ones ordered from South Africa
2. Jamaica steamship fortnightly mail contract ended and
temporary weekly mail service setup. The steamship
"Barranca"
will be used for future mail contracts.
3. Jammu and Kashmir collection displayed at Herts.
Philatelic
Society in England
4. Control Letters on sheet margins
5. Coil stamps in England from Automatic Stamp Machine
Company
proposed with the suggestion that the "Morse Code" of
seperation not be used.
10. New Issues and Varities
1. USA
1. Registered mail
2. Red Lincoln domestic postal card - 3 by 5 inches to
be issued
3. 5 cent issue found with new watermark
4. 1 cent issue found with height and width larger than
normal
5. 1 cent wrapper printing plate worn resulting in low
quality impression
2. Bahamas - 1d Queen's Staircase issue on multiple paper
3. Bavaria - 1, 2, 3, 5 mark values issued with horizontal
wavy
lines. Prior issues of 1881, 1891, 1900 had vertical wavy
lines
4. Brazil - new 10,000 reis issue in brown
5. Honduras - new 2c issue. New 6c gray violet issue
6. Malta - new 5 shilling carmine and green on yellow paper
7. Nicaragua - Error "Vlea" overprint instead of "Vale" found
on 10c overprinted on 15c issue
8. Panama - 1/2 centesimo issues to be exchanged for new 1/2
centismo issue during Feb 1911
9. Paupa - 1d with large "Paupa"
10. Queensland - 2sh 6d vermilion orange shade watermaked
Crown
A sideways
11. Russia - Offices in the Levant - new overprints on Russia
1909
issue for use in Turkyie
12. Straits Settlements - new 50c black on green paper and $1
black and red on blue paper issues
13. Tasmania - 2d, 92, 1sh perforated 12 1/2 small holes
14. Uruguay - 5c overprinted on 50c rose only available at
post
office sold one at a time only when a letter needing it is
mailed
11. Cancelled to Order stamps explained - North Borneo, Labuan,
Bosnia
12. Stamps produced for sale to collectors instead of for postal use
-
Honduras, Nicaragua, Salvador, Seebeck issues
13. Commemorative stamps produced for sale to collectors -
USA Colombians expected to make a 2.5 million dollar profit
14. Ships and Boats competition announcement
15. Boston Philatelic Society meeting
16. Rhode Island Philatelic Society meeting

Mekeel's Weekly Stamp News Feb 18, 1911 Volume XXV, Number 7, Whole
Issue Number 1051

1. New issues and Varieties
2. Boston Philatelic Society annual report, Seybold Library
3. USA Revenue stamps - proposed law for druggists to affix revenue
stamps to opium medicine
4. Valentine's Day covers are more plentiful because cover and
letter
were saved intact by the original recipients
5. Broad star watermark on 4p yellow of New Zealand - new variety
or printing error?
6. USA four pounds domestic first class limit. International limit
is more than four pounds
7. Bisects frequently encountered from South America
8. United States Revenue Society year book
9. Chicago Philatelic Society annual banquet
10. Why I collect precancels competition announcement
11. Letters to the editor,
1. Stamp shades - How shades of the 1870 to 1879 USA issues
were originally listed as a single issue, how that
listing was expanded into multiple issues
2. Collector innundated with philatelic solicitations after
his address is used as a sample address
3. Italian stamps - "ITALIA E VITTORIO EMMANUELE"
12. Springfield Stamp Club exhibit, Feb 24, 1911 - postal cards,
coins, fractional currency, revenue, inverts, cancelations,
machine cancellation, perfins, vending machine wrappers
13. News - USA 10 cent yellow with 1910 watermark found
14. Recent stamp market prices - Jamaica, Crete, Canal Zone, Siam,
Austria, Bosnia, Philippines
15. King of Siam's name explained
16. DP overprint on Hong Kong,
17. Collecting tools - albums, watermark fluid, tongs, magnifying
glass,
stamp catalog
18. Great Barrier Island Special Post local issue - pidgeon post,
19. "Deutsch Oestr. Postverien" explained
Old November 18th 03, 01:20 AM
Rodney

Thanks for that.
I enjoyed the piece on the King of Siams Name
Perhaps you could ask the author to write a piece on
the full name of Bangkok.

It is so long, they have put it to music as a song.
I'd like to know the full name in English trans.

Rgds

(Remove gum to reply)