eBay's Big 4 TPGs

Old December 11th 09, 02:47 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Petronius

Default eBay's Big 4 TPGs

In general prices realized are highest for PCGS, then NGC, ANACS and ICG.
ICG certified coins seem to command only a very slight premium over raw coins.
Why do you suppose the marketplace practically disregards ICG as a grading
entity?

Old December 11th 09, 03:26 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Petronius wrote:
In general prices realized are highest for PCGS, then NGC, ANACS and
ICG. ICG certified coins seem to command only a very slight premium over
raw coins. Why do you suppose the marketplace practically disregards
ICG as a grading entity?

Because they consistently grade coins according to written standards that
have been around a long time. You'll very rarely see a VF coin in an ICG XF
slab. That bothers the crackout crowd mightily, and it's the crackout crowd
that decides who is big and who isn't.

James

Old December 12th 09, 12:21 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jerry Dennis

On Dec 11, 9:26�am, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
Petronius wrote:
In general prices realized are highest for PCGS, then NGC, ANACS and
ICG. ICG certified coins seem to command only a very slight premium over
raw coins. Why do you suppose the marketplace practically disregards
ICG as a grading entity?

Because they consistently grade coins according to written standards that
have been around a long time. �You'll very rarely see a VF coin in an ICG XF
slab. �That bothers the crackout crowd mightily, and it's the crackout crowd
that decides who is big and who isn't.

James

Perhaps, but I must interject. ICG is (or at least was) notorious for
liberal grading in MS grades. None of the other TPG have as many
MS-70s as ICG.

Jerry
Old December 12th 09, 12:41 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Petronius wrote:
In general prices realized are highest for PCGS, then NGC, ANACS and
ICG. ICG certified coins seem to command only a very slight premium
over raw coins. Why do you suppose the marketplace practically
disregards ICG as a grading entity?

Because they consistently grade coins according to written standards
that have been around a long time. ?You'll very rarely see a VF coin
in an ICG XF slab. ?That bothers the crackout crowd mightily, and
it's the crackout crowd that decides who is big and who isn't.

James

Perhaps, but I must interject. ICG is (or at least was) notorious for
liberal grading in MS grades. None of the other TPG have as many
MS-70s as ICG.

That could very well be the case. I feed on the bottom, collecting only
circulated coins.

James the Sea Anemone

Old December 12th 09, 07:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jud

On Dec 11, 6:21*pm, Jerry Dennis wrote:

Perhaps, but I must interject. *ICG is (or at least was) notorious for
liberal grading in MS grades. *None of the other TPG have as many
MS-70s as ICG.

Jerry

I could argue that point too Jerry, but I probably would get sued!
8-)

Jud the 'Hagar-wary'

Old December 15th 09, 11:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jerry Dennis

On Dec 12, 1:48�pm, Jud wrote:
On Dec 11, 6:21�pm, Jerry Dennis wrote:

Perhaps, but I must interject. �ICG is (or at least was) notorious for
liberal grading in MS grades. �None of the other TPG have as many
MS-70s as ICG.

Jerry

I could argue that point too Jerry, but I probably would get sued!
8-)

Jud the 'Hagar-wary'

Okay, let me interject this, too, "respected TPGs." :-) Oh, wait.
This is ebay we're discussing. We already know who is and who isn't
"respected."

Jerry
Old December 17th 09, 09:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Frank Provasek

On Dec 11, 5:21*pm, Jerry Dennis wrote:

Perhaps, but I must interject. *ICG is (or at least was) notorious for
liberal grading in MS grades. *None of the other TPG have as many
MS-70s as ICG.

Jerry

According to www.greysheet.com, these are the average relative
valuations for sight-unseen dealer bids:

PCGS: 76.98%
NGC: 77.11%
ANACS: 56.79%
ICG: 63.91%
PCI: 49.17%
SEGS: 48.21%
NCI: 40.05%
INS: 29.05%

ICG, at least until about a year ago with J.P. Martin (who developed
the ANA grading seminars and standards) as its chief grader, used the
ANA standards. As such, MOST modern NCLT (noncirculating legal
tender) trinkets WILL grade 70 unless they have been mishandled. (70
is NOT "perfect")

Services such as PCGS, with almost unobtainable internal standards for
"70," make that grade artificially scarce (in their plastic) thus
making PCGS coins "worth" more.

Conversely, many 19th century coins with "rub" that PCGS will grade
MS61 or MS62, would be graded AU58 by ICG.

From the PCGS official grading guide:

What slight friction? Discoloration on the high points? Who cares!

--
RARE COIN AUCTIONS NO RESERVES www.frankcoins.com
http://myworld.ebay.com/frankcoins Texas Auction License
Old December 18th 09, 05:11 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jerry Dennis

On Dec 17, 3:40�pm, Frank Provasek wrote:
[...]

From the PCGS official grading guide:

RARE COIN AUCTIONS NO RESERVES �http://www.frankcoins.comhttp://mywo...rankcoinsTexas Auction License
11259, Board member of Texas Coin Dealers Association,
Member TNA, ANA, PCGS, NGC - �Full Time Since 1991

I found the greysheet bid percentages interesting. I would have
thought ANACS would have rated higher (closer to 70%) since they seem
a lot tougher on MS grades.

That not withstanding, I must point out here that I have no grief,
whatsoever, with ICG grading in the AU and below grades.

Jerry
Old December 18th 09, 09:51 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Jerry Dennis wrote:
[...]

From the PCGS official grading guide:

What slight friction? ?Discoloration on the high points? ?Who cares!

--
RARE COIN AUCTIONS NO RESERVES
?http://www.frankcoins.comhttp://mywo...rankcoinsTexas Auction
License 11259, Board member of Texas Coin Dealers Association,
Member TNA, ANA, PCGS, NGC - ?Full Time Since 1991

I found the greysheet bid percentages interesting. I would have
thought ANACS would have rated higher (closer to 70%) since they seem
a lot tougher on MS grades.

That not withstanding, I must point out here that I have no grief,
whatsoever, with ICG grading in the AU and below grades.

....and how about the others in the AU and below grades?

James the Provocateur

Old December 18th 09, 03:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Frank Provasek

On Dec 18, 2:51*am, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
Jerry Dennis wrote:
[...]

From the PCGS official grading guide:

?http://www.frankcoins.comhttp://mywo...nsTexasAuction
License 11259, Board member of Texas Coin Dealers Association,
Member TNA, ANA, PCGS, NGC - ?Full Time Since 1991

I found the greysheet bid percentages interesting. *I would have
thought ANACS would have rated higher (closer to 70%) since they seem
a lot tougher on MS grades.

That not withstanding, I must point out here that I have no grief,
whatsoever, with ICG grading in the AU and below grades.

...and how about the others in the AU and below grades?

James the Provocateur- Hide quoted text -

In circulated grades, the 4 "approved" services and PCI and SEGS are
pretty close, and all are very good (and certainly far better than
raw) on authentication.

Ebay allows you to list a 1916-D dime with a fake mintmark RAW -- but
if you offer one and mention that it is in a slab from PCI or Larry
Briggs's SEGS, ( almost certainly genuine) Ebay will end the auction,
and issue sanctions, up to and including reporting to law enforcement.

Ebay's response Sue H Autographs 22 January 4th 06 03:05 PM
eBay's help against forgers AutographPros.com Autographs 0 July 28th 05 03:10 PM