Human consumption of gold

Old January 31st 09, 06:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Arizona Coin Collector

Default Human consumption of gold

Hello

I was not aware of GOLD being used in Cancer
treatments.

FROM:
http://www.onlygold.com/TutorialPage...sumptionFS.htm

Human consumption of gold

Metallic gold is used by the alchemists to prepare
a liquid that they affirm will restore youth when
drunk." -Agricola, De natura fossillium, 1546.

In what ways is gold consumed? About 75% of the
gold produced in the world's mines goes to jewelry
production. This is one meaning of the term
"consumption". More surprising are the many ways
in which gold actually finds its way into the
human body.

Gold crowns are still the best. Although rapidly
being replaced with less-expensive alternatives,
dental amalgams containing high percentages of gold
are still desirable as crowns. Gold is a soft
metal, and its use in a crown lessens the stress
put on the opposing tooth in the act of chewing.
Modern porcelain crowns are much more brittle than
gold, and are not likely to last the decades that
gold crowns can.

Gold also has medical uses. An isotope of gold,
198-Au, which has a half-life of 2.7 days, is used
in treating some cancers and other diseases, and
also as a tracer within the human body. A compound
containing gold known as disodium aurothiomalate,
is used in an injection as a treatment for
arthritis. Auranofin, a complex organic molecule,
is used in the treatment of some cases of
rheumatoid arthritis.

Serve gold at your next party. Gold in the form of
extremely fine leaf (a few atoms in thickness) has
been added to certain liqueurs from Eastern Europe,
such as Goldwasser. This gives the liquid a sparkle
in the glass, as the fine bits of gold catch the
light as they float suspended. Pure gold leaf has a
long tradition in cuisine both in Europe and the Far
East. Exotic dishes are given the ultimate exotic
presentation, wrapped in 99.9% pure gold leaf so
unbelievably thin, that the gold itself is edible.

Although consumption of gold is essentially harmless
in small amounts, there is a gold toxicity that is
known from its use in treating arthritis. Skin rash
is the most common result of excessive consumption
of gold for medicinal purposes. Gastrointestinal
distress can from time to time result from
excessive ingestion of gold compounds.

A commonly used antidote is Dimercaprol,
HSCH2CHSHCH2OH, also called BAL
(British Anti-Lewisite). BAL forms a stable complex
with gold, rendering it physiologically ineffective
and easy to eliminate from the body. Certain people
develop a mild rash from wearing gold jewelry,
although this phenomenon is not entirely understood
today. This dermatitis may be caused by residual
radioactivity in the minor alloys in the jewelry.

Gold can be harmful in other ways. Of course, the
most harmful aspects of gold to humans have nothing
to do with actual gold consumption. More dangerous
is that wide range of disorders, known collectively
as "gold fever" (see Bogart, Humphrey, "The Treasure
of the Sierra Madre.").

Old January 31st 09, 10:17 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jud

Arizona Coin Collector wrote:

Serve gold at your next party. Gold in the form of
extremely fine leaf (a few atoms in thickness) has
been added to certain liqueurs from Eastern Europe,
such as Goldwasser. This gives the liquid a sparkle
in the glass, as the fine bits of gold catch the
light as they float suspended.

In my liquor cabinet I have a bottle of 'Goldschlager', a cinnamon
schnapps, that was given to me by a family member...mostly because of
my coin collecting interests. It has the suspended gold flakes.
Surprisingly, it is a product of Italy.
I was told that the motto was 'Put some jewels in your stools'. G
Old February 1st 09, 12:51 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RWF

"Jud" wrote in message

Arizona Coin Collector wrote:

Serve gold at your next party. Gold in the form of
extremely fine leaf (a few atoms in thickness) has
been added to certain liqueurs from Eastern Europe,
such as Goldwasser. This gives the liquid a sparkle
in the glass, as the fine bits of gold catch the
light as they float suspended.

In my liquor cabinet I have a bottle of 'Goldschlager', a cinnamon
schnapps, that was given to me by a family member...mostly because of
my coin collecting interests. It has the suspended gold flakes.
Surprisingly, it is a product of Italy.
I was told that the motto was 'Put some jewels in your stools'. G

Goldschlager is a tasty treat when done in moderation.

Old February 1st 09, 01:42 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Aladdin Sane

"Jud" wrote in message

Arizona Coin Collector wrote:

Serve gold at your next party. Gold in the form of
extremely fine leaf (a few atoms in thickness) has
been added to certain liqueurs from Eastern Europe,
such as Goldwasser. This gives the liquid a sparkle
in the glass, as the fine bits of gold catch the
light as they float suspended.

In my liquor cabinet I have a bottle of 'Goldschlager', a cinnamon
schnapps, that was given to me by a family member...mostly because of
my coin collecting interests. It has the suspended gold flakes.
Surprisingly, it is a product of Italy.
I was told that the motto was 'Put some jewels in your stools'. G

And create a new hobby, Muck Mining

--
*
/?\

A conclusion is simply the place
where you decided to stop thinking.

Old February 1st 09, 03:02 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Arizona Coin Collector

RWF" wrote in message

"Jud" wrote in message

Arizona Coin Collector wrote:

Serve gold at your next party. Gold in the form of
extremely fine leaf (a few atoms in thickness) has
been added to certain liqueurs from Eastern Europe,
such as Goldwasser. This gives the liquid a sparkle
in the glass, as the fine bits of gold catch the
light as they float suspended.

In my liquor cabinet I have a bottle of 'Goldschlager', a cinnamon
schnapps, that was given to me by a family member...mostly because of
my coin collecting interests. It has the suspended gold flakes.
Surprisingly, it is a product of Italy.
I was told that the motto was 'Put some jewels in your stools'. G

Goldschlager is a tasty treat when done in moderation.

Hello

This is my definition of the words "shiny ****".

"Shiny ****" meaning

Pronuciation: (shi'ne ****)
--pronoun
1. bright or glossy excrement
2. something inferior or worthless in low amounts
3. a bright, metallic yellow color, sometimes tending toward brown

When you look at number 3 above, look at the meaning
of Gold shown below at number 6.

FROM:
http://dictionary.infoplease.com/gold

gold

Pronunciation: (gold), [key]
-n.
1. a precious yellow metallic element, highly malleable
and ductile, and not subject to oxidation or corrosion.
Symbol: Au; at. wt.: 196.967; at. no.: 79; sp. gr.: 19.3 at 20°C.

2. a quantity of gold coins: to pay in gold.

3. a monetary standard based on this metal; gold standard.

4. money; wealth; riches.

5. something likened to this metal in brightness,
preciousness, superiority, etc.: a heart of gold.

6. a bright, metallic yellow color, sometimes tending
toward brown.

7. See gold medal.

8. (cap.) Mil.the code name for one of the five D-day
invasion beaches, assaulted by British troops.

Old February 1st 09, 03:12 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"Jud" wrote in message

Arizona Coin Collector wrote:

Serve gold at your next party. Gold in the form of
extremely fine leaf (a few atoms in thickness) has
been added to certain liqueurs from Eastern Europe,
such as Goldwasser. This gives the liquid a sparkle
in the glass, as the fine bits of gold catch the
light as they float suspended.

In my liquor cabinet I have a bottle of 'Goldschlager', a cinnamon
schnapps, that was given to me by a family member...mostly because of
my coin collecting interests. It has the suspended gold flakes.
Surprisingly, it is a product of Italy.
I was told that the motto was 'Put some jewels in your stools'. G

And create a new hobby, Muck Mining

You laugh.................

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/us_gold_sewage_odd

Old February 1st 09, 05:49 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Padraic Brown

On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 10:21:51 -0700, "Arizona Coin Collector"
wrote:

Hello

I was not aware of GOLD being used in Cancer
treatments.

FROM:
http://www.onlygold.com/TutorialPage...sumptionFS.htm

Human consumption of gold

Metallic gold is used by the alchemists to prepare
a liquid that they affirm will restore youth when
drunk." -Agricola, De natura fossillium, 1546.

And the other precious metal, silver, also has its fans of alternative
forms of consumption.

Some people take "colloidal silver" as a remedy for various ailments.
Like the gold flaked liquor (actually, colloidal gold), fine particles
of silver suspended in a liquid can be drunk. The interesting side
effect to too much of the stuff is argyria -- silver is deposited in
your skin and turns it bluish.

Silver is appearing in more antibiotic skin dressings, as it is an
effective antimicrobial agent.

And then, of course, there are those little silver dragees you can
find in the cake decorating shelves at the grocery -- apparently they
are made with actual silver.

And then there's also collodal platinum...

Padraic
Old February 1st 09, 01:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

"Jud" wrote in message

Arizona Coin Collector wrote:

Serve gold at your next party. Gold in the form of
extremely fine leaf (a few atoms in thickness) has
been added to certain liqueurs from Eastern Europe,
such as Goldwasser. This gives the liquid a sparkle
in the glass, as the fine bits of gold catch the
light as they float suspended.

In my liquor cabinet I have a bottle of 'Goldschlager', a cinnamon
schnapps, that was given to me by a family member...mostly because
of
my coin collecting interests. It has the suspended gold flakes.
Surprisingly, it is a product of Italy.
I was told that the motto was 'Put some jewels in your stools'. G

Heh, heh. I'll refrain from adding to the cascade here of fecal
humor, but I bought a bottle once and strained the gold out.

It was a small pile of extremely thin gold foil flakes. I didn't
bother weighing them but you'd need a pretty sensitive
scale for them to even register.

Even if they were .99 fine, they couldn't have been more than a few
cents' worth.

Old February 1st 09, 03:18 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jud

Bruce Remick wrote:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/us_gold_sewage_odd

Makes me glad that I stated it was a product of Italy, and not Japan!