2008 NASA 50th Anniversary Commemorative Coins: Any hope?

Old January 23rd 08, 11:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Halork

Default 2008 NASA 50th Anniversary Commemorative Coins: Any hope?

Given that the bill authorizing the NASA commemorative coins is still
in Congress, is there any realistic hope of these coins being released
this year? The mint needs a reasonable lead time to design the coins,
and it seems time is running out if it hasn't already.
Old January 24th 08, 12:47 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Robert Alley

In article
,
halork wrote:

Given that the bill authorizing the NASA commemorative coins is still
in Congress, is there any realistic hope of these coins being released
this year? The mint needs a reasonable lead time to design the coins,
and it seems time is running out if it hasn't already.

I think the lead time the Mint likes to have is 2 years in any design
effort; this makes it quite doubtful that they'll be able to pull
anything off before 2010.

They could always use one of Daniel Carr's astronaut designs, I suppose
(http://www.dc-coin.com/index.asp?Pag...PROD&ProdID=5), but
even something like that would have to be adapted to fit the
denominations &/or legends spelled out in whatever law gets passed.
Old January 24th 08, 08:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ukraina Dvi

"Robert Alley" wrote in message
I think the lead time the Mint likes to have is 2 years in any design
effort; this makes it quite doubtful that they'll be able to pull
anything off before 2010.

They could always use one of Daniel Carr's astronaut designs, I suppose
(http://www.dc-coin.com/index.asp?Pag...PROD&ProdID=5), but
even something like that would have to be adapted to fit the
denominations &/or legends spelled out in whatever law gets passed.

NASA is the redheaded freckle faced stepchild of the government, and likely
will just get overlooked.

Old January 24th 08, 10:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Halork

As far as I know, the NASA coins were the only other commemoratives
planned for 2008 besides the Bald Eagle coins. Am I mistaken, or will
there be only one commemorative program this year? (I'm NOT counting
any of the other ongoing regular series.)
Old January 24th 08, 10:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jim Seymour[_2_]

halork wrote:
As far as I know, the NASA coins were the only other commemoratives
planned for 2008 besides the Bald Eagle coins. Am I mistaken, or
will there be only one commemorative program this year? (I'm NOT
counting any of the other ongoing regular series.)

No legislation other than the Bald Eagle coins has been approved for
2008. That was the point of the original message in this thread. The
NASA commemorative coin program was referred to committee eight months
ago and hasn't seen the light of day since.

Of course, Congress has been known to push through these "minor" bills
in a hurry sometimes - but unless the mint's been working on it already,
it seems unlikely it could be ready in time.

Ah well. That's nine silver dollars I won't have to buy! :-)

--
Jim Seymour
Old January 25th 08, 12:13 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Phil DeMayo

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 14:53:01 -0800, Jim Seymour
wrote:

halork wrote:
As far as I know, the NASA coins were the only other commemoratives
planned for 2008 besides the Bald Eagle coins. Am I mistaken, or
will there be only one commemorative program this year? (I'm NOT
counting any of the other ongoing regular series.)

No legislation other than the Bald Eagle coins has been approved for
2008. That was the point of the original message in this thread. The
NASA commemorative coin program was referred to committee eight months
ago and hasn't seen the light of day since.

Actually, it passed the in the House last July 30th, was introduced in
the Senate on October 15th (S.2159) and was referred to the Senate
Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs Committee.

It hasn't moved past that committee. So it's been idle a little over 3
months.
Old January 25th 08, 12:21 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jim Seymour[_2_]

wrote:
No legislation other than the Bald Eagle coins has been approved
for 2008. That was the point of the original message in this
thread. The NASA commemorative coin program was referred to
committee eight months ago and hasn't seen the light of day since.

Actually, it passed the in the House last July 30th, was introduced
in the Senate on October 15th (S.2159) and was referred to the Senate
Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs Committee.

It hasn't moved past that committee. So it's been idle a little over
3 months.

D'oh! I was looking at H.R. 2500 and didn't notice that it had changed
to H.R. 2750. Thanks for the correction...

--
Jim Seymour
Old January 27th 08, 07:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dan P.

I'd rather see a Teddy Roosevelt commem this year. The NASA commem
program is just too large.
Old January 27th 08, 07:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RF

On Jan 27, 2:14*pm, "Dan P." wrote:
I'd rather see a Teddy Roosevelt commem this year. The NASA commem
program is just too large.

I couldn't agree more. TR deserves recognition and the NASA program is
too unwieldy.