PR: PCGS Announces "Plus-Minus" and "Plus-Plus" Grading

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 1st 13, 09:26 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ken Barr

Default PR: PCGS Announces "Plus-Minus" and "Plus-Plus" Grading

PCGS Announces "Plus-Minus" and "Plus-Plus" Grading

(April 1, 2013) (API) (Newport Beach, Oklahoma)
The Perfessional Coin Gradin' Service (PCGS) is pleased to announce that
they are now providing "Plus-Minus" and "Plus-Plus" grading options for
their certified coin products.

E. Ron Guff, PCGS President, acknowledged that the "Plus" grading option
introduced last year greatly exceeded their expectations, with tens of
thousands of coins being resubmitted by the owners in the hopes of
increasing their nominal grades from, for example, MS66 to MS66+.
"We've reaped millions of dollars from these resubmissions", Guff
admitted, "and probably increased the market value of these coins by
hundreds of thousands of dollars". He continued, "However, as we all
recognize, there are some coins that are quite a bit better than MS66,
but not quite as nice as MS66+. So, for these coins, we've introduced
the MS66+- grade. Similarly, for coins much nicer than MS66+, but not
quite as nice as MS67, we'll now identify them as being MS66++ if
warranted."

"We spent considerable time developing an upgrade pricing policy that
suits everyone's needs", added PCGS Chairman David Hull, "especially our
own. If you submit a coin for +- grading, the fee will be $20 plus the
square root of Greysheet 'bid' for the underlying grade, so an MS66 coin
with a 'bid' of $2500 will cost $20 plus the square root of $2500 ($50),
or $70 total, in order to be considered for the Plus-Minus upgrade.
Similarly, if you submit a coin for ++ grading, the fee will be $20 plus
the square root of Greysheet 'bid' for the next higher grade, so an
MS67+ coin with a 'bid' of $3600 in MS68 will cost $20 plus the square
root of $3600 ($60), or $80 total, in order to be considered for the
Plus-Plus upgrade."

"We've listened to our customers", Guff continued, "and are supremely
confident that they are going to be willing to spend this small
additional sum in order to consistently maximize the grades of their
coins. We'll even consider Plus-Minus-Minus, Plus-Minus-Plus,
Plus-Plus-Minus and Plus-Plus-Plus grading in the future if we think we
can get away with it. And future plans include introducing our own
in-house FOURTH-PARTY certification service called PCGSAC, which will
use red stickers, white stickers and blue stickers to segregate the
slabs into 'run of the mill', 'above average' and 'stupendous'
categories."

"We've already received an offer of $100,000 for the first MS66+++ coin
with a blue PCGSAC sticker from an anonymous slab collector. He doesn't
care what kind of coin is in the holder as long as the slab meets his
strict criteria.", Hull concluded. "We're excited about the future of
this hobby!"

##

The Perfessional Coin Gradin' Service (PCGS) is a subsidiary of
Coinsandstuff Universal (CU), a publicly-traded company listed on
the Mars Stock Exchange. Forward looking statements are pretty
much just figments of our imagination, and should not be believed
any more than the Easter Bunny or phrases like "consistent grading".
Your Mileage May Vary. Contents may have settled during shipment.
Void where prohibited, and in Wisconsin because we hate cheese.

--
Ken Barr Numismatics * * * *email:
P. O. Box 32541 * * * * * * website: *http://www.kenbarr.com