Reverse design of 2010 Sac

Old December 10th 09, 12:57 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Default Reverse design of 2010 Sac

Peter Irwin wrote:
oly wrote:

My maternal great-grandpa, a Scot by the name of Brown, met his first
wife at a Greater-Imperial Institute lecture on "The Evils of the
Decimal System".

Sounds like a good lecture to me. The most obvious evil is that
people not only lose their ability to do mixed base compound
mental arithmetic, but lose their ability to do any sort of
arithmetic at all without calculators.

I once read an argument in favour of decimalization and metrification
which claimed that people would get better at arithmetic if they
had to do less of it. (I think it was by the otherwise mostly sane
Isaac Asimov) The argument is absurd. The only way to get good
at arithmetic is to do lots of it. Anything which requires you
to do more calculations will make you better at them.

(I'm not entirely serious)

Let's see you calculate square roots the long way.

James the Mathematician

Old December 10th 09, 01:02 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Dec 9, 5:57*pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
Peter Irwin wrote:
oly wrote:

My maternal great-grandpa, a Scot by the name of Brown, met his first
wife at a Greater-Imperial Institute lecture on "The Evils of the
Decimal System".

Sounds like a good lecture to me. The most obvious evil is that
people not only lose their ability to do mixed base compound
mental arithmetic, but lose their ability to do any sort of
arithmetic at all without calculators.

I once read an argument in favour of decimalization and metrification
which claimed that people would get better at arithmetic if they
had to do less of it. (I think it was by the otherwise mostly sane
Isaac Asimov) The argument is absurd. The only way to get good
at arithmetic is to do lots of it. Anything which requires you
to do more calculations will make you better at them.

(I'm not entirely serious)

Let's see you calculate square roots the long way.

James the Mathematician- Hide quoted text -

Well, I could at least write the appropriate symbols to set up the
problem - the numbers that follow might be off a bit. This is the
veritable fruits of a late 60's, early 70's trip through the Math
Department.

I do think that I could perform addition under the old L/s/d system.
Not too hard for a fifty year old, despite being American.

oly
Old December 10th 09, 01:02 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

oly wrote:
On Dec 9, 5:47 pm, Peter Irwin wrote:
oly wrote:

My maternal great-grandpa, a Scot by the name of Brown, met his
first wife at a Greater-Imperial Institute lecture on "The Evils of
the Decimal System".

Sounds like a good lecture to me. The most obvious evil is that
people not only lose their ability to do mixed base compound
mental arithmetic, but lose their ability to do any sort of
arithmetic at all without calculators.

I once read an argument in favour of decimalization and metrification
which claimed that people would get better at arithmetic if they
had to do less of it. (I think it was by the otherwise mostly sane
Isaac Asimov) The argument is absurd. The only way to get good
at arithmetic is to do lots of it. Anything which requires you
to do more calculations will make you better at them.

(I'm not entirely serious)

Peter.

After almost 30 years as a financial auditor of one sort or another, I
have come to this conclusion:

If a person was capable of doing the math necessary to calculate the
compound interest and could understand just how much they would
utlimately pay (or at least be obligated for) --- then they would
never borrow the money in the first place.

Bullroar. Proper information facilitates proper decision-making. After
that, it's a matter of calculated risk. If people in history had followed
your advice, you and I would still owe fealty to Scandinavian and English
monarchs, respectively.

James the Vassal

Old December 10th 09, 01:04 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

oly wrote:

[...]

James the Vassal- Hide quoted text -

Tiger is finding out what it is like to owe fealty to a Swede and mess
around.

oly
Old December 10th 09, 01:05 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Peter Irwin wrote:
oly wrote:

[...]

Ability to so calculate is a function of intelligence and education, not
nationality.

James the LSD Guy

Old December 10th 09, 01:08 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

oly wrote:

[...]

The financial arrangements of Our Revolution did not bear close
scrutiny, and contributed greatly to the great neck-shaving
uncertainties in France which culminated in the years 1789-1815.

oly
Old December 10th 09, 01:29 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Peter Irwin

Mr. Jaggers lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

Let's see you calculate square roots the long way.

The only way I was ever taught in school was the successive
approximation method. This was a shortfall in my education
I'm afraid. I should teach myself one of the more sophisticated
methods.

so for square root of two
1.5 1.4 1.41 1.42 1.415 1.414
x1.5 x1.4 x1.41 x1.42 x1.415 x1.414
-- -- -- -- -- ---
2.25 1.96 1.9881 2.0164 2.00225 1.99396

While I did in fact remember the first four digits, I will
say on my honour that I worked out the multiplication with
pencil and paper. (I have not checked them and it is possible,
but I think unlikely that I have made an error somewhere.)

Peter.
Old December 10th 09, 01:36 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Peter Irwin

Peter Irwin wrote:
Mr. Jaggers lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

Let's see you calculate square roots the long way.

The only way I was ever taught in school was the successive
approximation method. This was a shortfall in my education
I'm afraid. I should teach myself one of the more sophisticated
methods.

so for square root of two
1.5 1.4 1.41 1.42 1.415 1.414
x1.5 x1.4 x1.41 x1.42 x1.415 x1.414
-- -- -- -- -- ---
2.25 1.96 1.9881 2.0164 2.00225 1.99396

I missed copying from the paper correctly - 1.999396

Peter.

Old December 10th 09, 01:48 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Dec 9, 6:36*pm, Peter Irwin wrote:
Peter Irwin wrote:
Mr. Jaggers lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

Let's see you calculate square roots the long way.

The only way I was ever taught in school was the successive
approximation method. *This was a shortfall in my education
I'm afraid. I should teach myself one of the more sophisticated
methods.

so for square root of two
1.5 * *1.4 * * 1.41 * * 1.42 * * 1.415 * * *1.414
x1.5 * x1.4 * *x1.41 * *x1.42 * *x1.415 * * x1.414
*-- * * -- * * *-- * * * -- * * * -- * * * * ---
2.25 * 1.96 * 1.9881 * *2.0164 * *2.00225 * *1.99396

I missed copying from the paper correctly - 1.999396

Peter.- Hide quoted text -

Whoa.

He went to a better school than me.

oly
Old December 10th 09, 01:49 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"Peter Irwin" wrote in message
Peter Irwin wrote:
Mr. Jaggers lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

Let's see you calculate square roots the long way.

The only way I was ever taught in school was the successive
approximation method. This was a shortfall in my education
I'm afraid. I should teach myself one of the more sophisticated
methods.

so for square root of two
1.5 1.4 1.41 1.42 1.415 1.414
x1.5 x1.4 x1.41 x1.42 x1.415 x1.414
2.25 1.96 1.9881 2.0164 2.00225 1.99396

I missed copying from the paper correctly - 1.999396

Peter.

I could never understand how many people, other than captive students, would
ever have occasion to know or calculate the square root of two, to the
extent that this should be taught in school. I suspect it's probably for
the same reason that soldiers have to learn close order drill. You break
'em down with discipline and then reteach 'em the "right" way.