Reverse design of 2010 Sac

Old December 9th 09, 11:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Default Reverse design of 2010 Sac

Peter Irwin wrote:
Mr. Jaggers lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

Sacrilege! Don't you know that our currency system originated in
the Garden of Eden? If the cent was good enough for Adam, it's good
enough for me.

James the Fundie

You aren't half the Fundie you should be. Make dollars, halves and
quarters from bronze, 3, 6, 12, 24, 30 and 60 dollar coins from
silver, and 120, 240, 480 and 1200 dollar coins from gold. The
smallest note should be 1200 dollars - then you would have a proper
monetary system. You could call the $12 coin something beginning with
S and the $240 gold coin something beginning with L. The silver coins
should have 66 $12 coins weighing twelve troy ounces of .925 silver,
and the gold coins should
be based on a $240 coin weighing 123.274 grains of .9166 gold.

Does this mean I'm bound for Hell?

James the Unwashed

Old December 10th 09, 12:03 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Peter Irwin

Peter Irwin wrote:
[...]

That's not a judgement I can make, but I know that there is
only One True Monetary System, and at the current exchange,
one US dollar will buy less than a True Penny since it (by definition)
takes nearly one thousand and nineteen and a half True Pence to
buy an ounce of gold.

Peter.

Old December 10th 09, 12:09 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Peter Irwin wrote:
[...]

I'm having trouble with the term "True Penny". Please elaborate.

James the Denarius-Pincher

Old December 10th 09, 12:24 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Peter Irwin

Peter Irwin wrote:
[...]

In the One True Monetary System there are 240 pence in a pound,
and a pound is equal (very very nearly) to 113 grains of fine
gold. The True Penny is the penny of the One True Monetary System,
and thus by definition 1019 1/2 of them will buy just a hair over
an ounce of gold.

Peter.

Old December 10th 09, 12:30 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

Peter Irwin wrote:
[...]

Peter.- Hide quoted text -

My maternal great-grandpa, a Scot by the name of Brown, met his first
wife at a Greater-Imperial Institute lecture on "The Evils of the
Decimal System".

Hopefully I'm no relation to "Mr. $297", el-Gordo Brown.

oly
Old December 10th 09, 12:32 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Dec 9, 4:47*pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
Petronius wrote:
Petronius wrote:
Petronius wrote:
I always make it a point to use coins on the front side - if I
have them, I like to get rid of them so they don't end up in the
wash, like about $2 in oddments did this morning.

At the end of the day my coins go into my piggy bank from whence
they eventually wind up in a Coinstar machine.
If I have change, I'll try to use it in a purchase but I rarely
have enough. As pointed out before, the denominations of today's
coins have not kept up with inflation.
Back in the 50s, a candy bar cost a nickel, now one (albeit
smaller) costs 50 cents.
The cent, nickel and possibly dime could easily be eliminated from
the ranks of current coinage without an adverse effect on the
economy. Ease the public into the process slowly, by first
eliminating the now-useless cent (keep making them for collectors
though), after a few years do the same for the nickel and then
the dime. By that time
no one will miss them, esp. if we experience the runaway inflation
the current administration's fiscal policies will engender.
Start making more half dollars (which were in wide use 50 years
ago, odd considering they were actually worth something then).
Eliminate the dollar bill (like Canada did) to force the use of
the dollar coins.
Start making $2 coins and maybe even $5 ones

Sacrilege! *Don't you know that our currency system originated in
the Garden of Eden? *If the cent was good enough for Adam, it's
good enough for me. James the Fundie

Then let's bring back the half cent - perfect for paying the EXACT
sales tax!

You'd need the mill for that.

James the Decimalator

The mil, eh - that has never been part of out pantheon of coins.
You should be called James the Apostate!

I've seen plastic tokens from various states denominated in the mill for use
in dealing with taxes.

James the Apostle [heh]- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, but they were made 70 years ago when people would work real hard
for 20 cents per hour.

oly
Old December 10th 09, 12:47 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Peter Irwin

oly wrote:

My maternal great-grandpa, a Scot by the name of Brown, met his first
wife at a Greater-Imperial Institute lecture on "The Evils of the
Decimal System".

Sounds like a good lecture to me. The most obvious evil is that
people not only lose their ability to do mixed base compound
mental arithmetic, but lose their ability to do any sort of
arithmetic at all without calculators.

I once read an argument in favour of decimalization and metrification
which claimed that people would get better at arithmetic if they
had to do less of it. (I think it was by the otherwise mostly sane
Isaac Asimov) The argument is absurd. The only way to get good
at arithmetic is to do lots of it. Anything which requires you
to do more calculations will make you better at them.

(I'm not entirely serious)

Peter.

Old December 10th 09, 12:50 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Petronius wrote:
Petronius wrote:
Petronius wrote:
[...]

Et alors?

James the Non-Sequitator

Old December 10th 09, 12:55 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Peter Irwin wrote:
[...]

Some of my distant ancestors grew up under the OTMS, but for some reason yet
unknown to me they chose to come to America. If I dug too deeply I might
find that they were horse thieves, so I try not to pursue the matter.
Anyway, if you can get your ounce of gold for 1019.5 current English
pennies, go for it.

James the Opportunist

Old December 10th 09, 12:57 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Dec 9, 5:47*pm, Peter Irwin wrote:
oly wrote:

My maternal great-grandpa, a Scot by the name of Brown, met his first
wife at a Greater-Imperial Institute lecture on "The Evils of the
Decimal System".

Sounds like a good lecture to me. The most obvious evil is that
people not only lose their ability to do mixed base compound
mental arithmetic, but lose their ability to do any sort of
arithmetic at all without calculators.

I once read an argument in favour of decimalization and metrification
which claimed that people would get better at arithmetic if they
had to do less of it. (I think it was by the otherwise mostly sane
Isaac Asimov) The argument is absurd. The only way to get good
at arithmetic is to do lots of it. Anything which requires you
to do more calculations will make you better at them.

(I'm not entirely serious)

Peter.

After almost 30 years as a financial auditor of one sort or another, I
have come to this conclusion:

If a person was capable of doing the math necessary to calculate the
compound interest and could understand just how much they would
utlimately pay (or at least be obligated for) --- then they would
never borrow the money in the first place.

Only the financially illiterate borrow vast sums of money in the first
place. The game is rigged from the git-go.

oly