Interesting page on coin metals

Old October 31st 08, 07:50 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Paul Ciszek

Default Interesting page on coin metals

http://www.tclayton.demon.co.uk/metal.html

This page lists the various metals and alloys that have been used
for coinage, with examples. Also includes a few non-metals.
Can't vouch for the accuracy, but I found it a fun read.

--
Please reply to: | "Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is
pciszek at panix dot com | indistinguishable from malice."
Old November 1st 08, 07:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jud

Paul Ciszek wrote:
http://www.tclayton.demon.co.uk/metal.html

This page lists the various metals and alloys that have been used
for coinage, with examples. Also includes a few non-metals.
Can't vouch for the accuracy, but I found it a fun read.

Without doing the research myself, I can't vouch for the accuracy
either. However, having been a frequent visitor to Tony Clayon's site,
I would have to vouch for Tony and his work. Tony is a frequent
contributor to RCC
Old November 1st 08, 08:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Paul Ciszek

In article ,
Jud wrote:

Paul Ciszek wrote:
http://www.tclayton.demon.co.uk/metal.html

This page lists the various metals and alloys that have been used
for coinage, with examples. Also includes a few non-metals.
Can't vouch for the accuracy, but I found it a fun read.

Without doing the research myself, I can't vouch for the accuracy
either. However, having been a frequent visitor to Tony Clayon's site,
I would have to vouch for Tony and his work. Tony is a frequent
contributor to RCC

His mention of cardboard coins reminded me of something that used to
be in my family--I don't know where it is now: a bag of red cardboard
tokens that I was told as a kid dated from the depression, and were
some sort of desparate substitute for money. The markings were pressed
into the cardboard rather than printed, at least as I recall. Does
this ring a bell with anybody?

--
Please reply to: | "One of the hardest parts of my job is to
pciszek at panix dot com | connect Iraq to the War on Terror."
Old November 1st 08, 10:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bob

On Nov 1, 2:32�pm, (Paul Ciszek) wrote:
In article ,

Jud wrote:

Paul Ciszek wrote:
[...]

These sound like OPA red points, issued during World War II, not the
Depression. They were used to make change for meat ration stamps.
Old November 2nd 08, 02:47 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Padraic Brown

Jud wrote:

Paul Ciszek wrote:
[...]

There are also blue points and both went along with ration books. I've
seen 48 blue and 64 red points allotted per person per month.

As for Tony Clayton, if you see it on his site, you can pretty much
take it as gospel. He's one of our group's most knowledgeable. And if
he'd got something wrong, he'll correct.

Padraic
Old November 2nd 08, 08:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
1787[_3_]

,

Jud wrote:

Paul Ciszek wrote:
[...]

CW had a nice introductory article in an 8/2003 issue about these tokens.
http://www.coinworld.com/News/081803/BW_0818.asp

W.

Old November 2nd 08, 09:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
sgt23

** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

CW had a nice introductory article in an 8/2003 issue about these tokens.http://www.coinworld.com/News/081803/BW_0818.asp

W.- Hide quoted text -

I have a red 1 token from these pieces. I'm not sure if they are worth
anything or not.