Gorden Brown Banishes 300-year-old Britannia From 50p Coin

Old January 29th 08, 07:03 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ukraina Dvi

Default Gorden Brown Banishes 300-year-old Britannia From 50p Coin

"1787" wrote in message
I believe the various images of Britannia make for some of the most
beautiful coins I have ever seen. But, I think we should put the female
Liberty back on US coins. Change does not imply improvement.

W.

When Liberty left, we started worshiping croked presidents. Akin to the
long slow downfall of the Roman Empire, they replaced Gods and allegorical
figures with Emperors.

Old January 29th 08, 07:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ukraina Dvi

"Jon Purkey" wrote in message
I think "Liberty" and "E Pluribus Unum" are more important than "In
God We Trust." on US coins. But then, I didn't notice the word
"Liberty" was missing from the Presidential coins until I read about
it. Maybe when they move "In God We Trust" to the obverse of the
Presidential coins they can add the word "Liberty" to the edge.

They are not presidential coins, but rather garbage cranked out by the US
mint. They are not attractive and not worthy of being referred to as coins.
They are marginally better designed than say... Chuck E. Cheese tokens, but
less useful.

Old January 29th 08, 08:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
note.boy

"1787" wrote in message

"Ukraina Dvi" wrote in message

"PC" wrote in message
It is interesting to see that people from other countries get their
undies in a bunch about an issue even less important than whether 'In
God We Trust' is on coins or not.

I think Britannia on the 50p is more important than "IGWT", been on coins
far far longer, 1672 for English coins, and for Roman Britain the 2nd
century.

I believe the various images of Britannia make for some of the most
beautiful coins I have ever seen. But, I think we should put the female
Liberty back on US coins. Change does not imply improvement.

W.

Britannia on the half pennies of Charles II was modelled by the Duchess Of
Richmond, a very close "friend" of the King. ;-) Billy

Old January 30th 08, 07:49 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Scott Stevenson

"PC" wrote in message
It is interesting to see that people from other countries get their
undies in a bunch about an issue even less important than whether 'In
God We Trust' is on coins or not.

I think Britannia on the 50p is more important than "IGWT", been on coins
far far longer, 1672 for English coins, and for Roman Britain the 2nd
century.

I believe the various images of Britannia make for some of the most
beautiful coins I have ever seen. But, I think we should put the female
Liberty back on US coins. Change does not imply improvement.

W.

Britannia on the half pennies of Charles II was modelled by the Duchess Of
Richmond, a very close "friend" of the King. ;-) Billy

Am I correct in remembering that HM had a lot of "friends"?

take care,
Scott

Old January 30th 08, 02:04 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ukraina Dvi

"Scott Stevenson" wrote in Britannia
on the half pennies of Charles II was modelled by the Duchess Of
Richmond, a very close "friend" of the King. ;-) Billy

Am I correct in remembering that HM had a lot of "friends"?

take care,
Scott

They were only friends, but "Friends with benefits" Chuck the II had no
legitimate issue, but 27 illegitimate offspring. Similarly Edward the VII
had many such friends with benefits, Camilla Parker Bowles is a descendant
of Edward VII and one of his lovers. So Princess Charles is boffing his
relative, a distant cousin.

FS: DINKY SUPERTOYS 998 BRISTOL BRITANNIA CP AIRLINER RARE L@@K !!! Most-Toys-Man General 0 June 8th 05 06:58 PM
2005 Britannia gogu Coins 8 February 4th 05 06:25 PM
FA: British Pewter & Britannia Metal Book in DJ, C. Pearl, c. 71 fishnet531 General 0 July 3rd 04 01:27 AM
Britannia Inn Pub Sign £1 Nostalgia General 0 February 5th 04 11:19 AM
Britannia Commemorative Society Ildemongas Fonseca Coins 0 December 10th 03 02:27 AM