IRC's

Old July 1st 04, 07:31 PM
Patrick

Default IRC's

Hi Guys,

I'm new to using IRC's and was wondering if anyone could give me some info.
The USPS website wasn't helpful, nor was the post office itself. I just bought
two...$1.75 each. Any idea how many I should send if I'm sending an 8x10 to
France? England?

Also, approximately how much does it cost to send the 8x10 to Europe. $2.40?
$3.80? I can't figure the USPS website calculations

Thanks,
~Patrick
Old July 1st 04, 09:56 PM
dahoov2

Calcuations are irrelevant; especially for the US postal site if you
live in the US and are sending overseas.

Each IRC, regardless of what country you are sending to, is worth
exactly on first class air mail stamp anywhere in the world..... how
many you need only depend on weight.

What you need to do is put everything as you will send it and weigh
it. Take that weight and go to the postal site of the country you are
sending to and see where it lies. you might have to convert ounces to
grams etc. Usually 2-3 per envleope is enough.

www.starwarsautographcollecting.com
http://dahoov2.topcities.com
Old July 2nd 04, 03:12 PM
dahoov2

That's Hilarious. Where in Europe? I'll try to figure it out for
you.

On 02 Jul 2004 13:31:41 GMT, oSpam (Patrick) wrote:

Thanks, but approximately how much is it to send from the US to Europe? The
USPS website isn't clear...according to the website, it costs $2.40 to get
there in about 5-7 days, but $3.80 for 4-6 weeks. That doesn't make sense. It
costs MORE to get there LATER?

Subject: IRC's

Old July 2nd 04, 05:36 PM
Patrick

I have photos I want to send to England and France and according to the USPS
website they're both the same but I dont know which of the following would
apply (my envelope is 2.8oz):

Airmail Letter Post 4 - 7 Days $2.40 Max. length 24", Max. length, height,
depth combined 36"

Economy (Surface) Letter Post
(Rate for pieces 16 ounces or less) 4 - 6 Weeks $3.80 Max. length 24", Max.
length, height, depth combined 36"

They're the same dimensions but it costs MORE to take LONGER to get there?! I
don't get it...

I mean, ultimately I'm going to just go to the post office and have them
calculate the postage for me, at least the first time, but I was just wondering
if anyone had an idea how much it costs.

Old July 2nd 04, 06:24 PM
dahoov2

It must be a mistake on their site. Sorry, I wasn't sure exactly what
you were doing. I thought you were asking for IRC's (how many to put
in) from a foreign country to the US....

I always send US Air mail and I just sent a couple out...one to France
and one to the UK. Both had inside:
my return envelope with one 8x10 photo and one index card and my
letter with a lightweight plastic on one and a cardboard on the other
(both were under 3 ounces) (and one had two IRC's)
e cost was:
2.40 for the France one and
3.20 to the UK and that's only because the cardboard I think was
thicker on that one

I enclosed two IRC's for the France request and put 4-68p stamps on
for the other which I figured was enough.

Don't know if that helps you, but that's what I got. I think the
postal site must be wrong....that doesn't make any sense at all! So
I'd do what you said, go to the post office and have them done there
unless your envelopes, paper and cardboard will be always EXACTLY the
same. I found out that .1 ounce CAN make a difference as you go to
the next level sometimes on price. Much like income taxes. Taking a
dollar less a year in pay COULD make you in a lower bracket!

PS did you know you can weigh your items at home and print your own
lable and pay by credit card? Yep. But you still have to drop it by
the post office, so the only advantage is you don't have to wait in
line I guess.

Old July 2nd 04, 06:52 PM
Robert de Ridder

The economy rate is for up to 16 ounces, which means although it is more
expensive now, it will be cheaper as the weight increases (5 oz and up). But
even if you don't put on the airmail sticker, it still would be sent by
airmail as the factor for determining this is the postage against the
weight.

The answer to your question is thus very simple: $ 2.40 and $0.80 for ever
further oz

Robert

"Patrick" schreef in bericht

Old July 2nd 04, 08:11 PM
Patrick

Thanks for your help guys. )
~Patrick
Old July 3rd 04, 08:11 AM
Gunther

Hi Patrick,

Yes, it is confusing. If you were to take that envelope to the post
office, they would just send it air since it is cheaper.

When the USPS did their last rate hike, they implemented a one pound
flat rate for economy mail overseas for any letter weighing one pound
or less. The old rates did have tiered economy rates at one pound or
below. They just found that it did not make economic sense for them to
have a three ounce economy rate (I *think* it used to be US$1). The
crossover point happens at about five ounces where the airmail rate
begins to outpace the surface rate in regards to cost.

Many other countries do this as well, their minimum International
surface rate may start at 100 grams or more (the UK still has the
smaller surface mail rates down to 20g).

Each IRC that you send is convertible in the foreign country to their
minimum airmail letter rate back to the U.S. (note I said letter, not
postcard). PLEASE NOTE that the USPS REQUIRES that IRCs purchased in
the U.S. must be postmarked in the left hand box on the IRC or it is
not valid/convertible.

For 2.8 ounces, that would be about 80g. For the UK, this means £1.79.
Their minimum airmail rate for letters (not postcards, letters) is
£0.47. So between three and four IRCs would be required. Three would
probably be close enough, many have received successes with just one
or two IRCs enclosed.

The France postal rate back to the U.S. for 80 grams is 2,80 EUR.
Their minimum airmail letter rate back to the U.S. is 0.90 EUR. So
just over three IRCs

For the UK back to U.S., you can find the rates at:
http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm and use the Postal Prices link at
the top center.

For France, I use this (direct link to their PDF of rates):
http://www.laposte.fr/IMG/pdf/tarifs...rmetropole.pdf
It is in French, but you can figure it out. Go to page three of the
PDF file, look under Le Courrier International Prioritaire, the U.S.
is in Zone C (Amerique). Of course, their surface rates are under the
section entitled Economique on the same page.

IRCs have a lot of overhead and costly, it would be best for you to
try to secure the country's native postage stamps if you expect to
send a lot there. For the EUR postage that many countries are using,
PLEASE NOTE that you must use EUR postage issued by that country for
it to be accepted. In other words, you cannot buy EUR postage from
Laposte France and use them on an SASE from Germany, that requires EUR
postage issued by Deustche Post (Germany).

Hope that makes some sense.

Old July 3rd 04, 03:42 PM
Patrick

Hey wow Gunther, thanks so much. I didn't expect such detailed information!
Thanks so much for your help!
~Patrick

EASTENDERS Ronald Mcdonald Autographs 27 January 31st 04 04:15 PM
IRCs Todd F. Autographs 0 December 4th 03 04:15 AM
IRCS replacement question Fan of Winona Ryder Autographs 3 November 13th 03 07:09 AM
IRC's Barb Autographs 4 August 29th 03 11:42 PM