Mechanical Pencil

Old February 27th 04, 04:49 AM
Henry

Default Mechanical Pencil

Hello all,

I'm trying to find a mechanical pencil to replace my old staedtler technical
that died. Turns out they don't make one like that anymore. So I need
alternatives. So far I've found Faber Castell TK Vario, Koh-I-Noor
Rapidomatic and a bunch of Staedtlers I'm not sure I like.

Keep in mind I'm looking more for a lower cost technical/writing mech.
pencil and not a Pelikan or Waterman mech. pencil. But not lower cost as in
$2 disposables.....$15-25 USD would be the range.

Cheers!

HK

Old February 27th 04, 05:23 AM
Nancy Handy

Henry wrote:
I'm trying to find a mechanical pencil to replace my old staedtler technical
Keep in mind I'm looking more for a lower cost technical/writing mech.
pencil

You can't beat the dependable Rotring mechanical pencils, but they cost
a little more. And they're worth it.

Old February 27th 04, 05:53 AM
Michael

"Nancy Handy" wrote in message
.. .
Henry wrote:
I'm trying to find a mechanical pencil to replace my old staedtler technical
Keep in mind I'm looking more for a lower cost technical/writing mech.
pencil

You can't beat the dependable Rotring mechanical pencils, but they cost
a little more. And they're worth it.

I started using the Staedtler lead holder for drafting, with a Helix sharpener.
It feels so much sturdier than the .5 or .7 leads that snap off too easily. It
feels good in my hand too.

M.

Old February 27th 04, 11:35 AM

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 22:49:25 -0500, "Henry"
wrote:

Hello all,

I'm trying to find a mechanical pencil to replace my old staedtler technical
that died. Turns out they don't make one like that anymore. So I need
alternatives. So far I've found Faber Castell TK Vario, Koh-I-Noor
Rapidomatic and a bunch of Staedtlers I'm not sure I like.

Is the 770 (staedtler, has a retractable fixed sleeve) still
available? Otherwise Pilot has a decent .5mm

Koh-I-Noor fixed sleeve is good if you can find them. Mine are from
the 1980-82 range.

Most of the new 'technical' pens have gone all plastic, prefer the
metal radial grooved ones myself.

What size are you looking for .3,.5, .7, .9? Or Lead holder 2mm

Old February 28th 04, 10:53 PM
Henry

Hey thanks for all the replies. I was originally looking for 0.7mm. The only
Staedtler that resembled my old one was the Marsmicro 775....so I picked
that one up but just wasn't the same.

Then I had this weird idea to buy some wood pencils. So went out and got me
some Faber Castell 9000.....I forgot how pencils wrote and how light they
were. I liked it, nostalgic wise and feature wise, so I went out and bought
a box of FC 9000 HB and we'll see how my pencil venture takes me.

Cheers!

HK

Old February 28th 04, 11:43 PM
Bluesea

"Henry" wrote in message
Hello all,

I'm trying to find a mechanical pencil to replace my old staedtler

technical
that died. Turns out they don't make one like that anymore. So I need
alternatives. So far I've found Faber Castell TK Vario, Koh-I-Noor
Rapidomatic and a bunch of Staedtlers I'm not sure I like.

Keep in mind I'm looking more for a lower cost technical/writing mech.
pencil and not a Pelikan or Waterman mech. pencil. But not lower cost as

in
$2 disposables.....$15-25 USD would be the range.

Cheers!

HK

My favorite is Pentel's Sensi-Grip automatic drafting pencil model nos.
A313/315/317/319 - the last digit indicates the lead size: .03/.05/.07/.09
mm.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old March 1st 04, 10:38 PM
Andy Dingley

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 16:53:04 -0500, "Henry"
wrote:

Then I had this weird idea to buy some wood pencils.

I'm a pencil freak. Faber Castell and Staedtler are good, but Derwent
are still the best (for 2B and similar grades)

--
Smert' spamionam
Old March 3rd 04, 02:48 AM
Henry

To follow up, since this isn't like paying for a new Pelikan fountain pen, I
decided to buy all the 16 grades available from Faber Castell's 9000 series
as a tiny collection of wood pencils.

HK

Old March 3rd 04, 12:42 PM
Juan

"Henry" wrote in message ...
To follow up, since this isn't like paying for a new Pelikan fountain pen, I
decided to buy all the 16 grades available from Faber Castell's 9000 series
as a tiny collection of wood pencils.

HK

I love faber Castell E-Motion . The leads are 1'4mm. I also like the
grip plus by faber castell (0'7mm leads), they have a large
retractable rubber (sorry I couldn't resist ñ_ñ)... eraser

Juan