Omas 557-S

Old September 11th 04, 06:58 PM
Jack Harrell

Default Omas 557-S

Hmmm, this pen collecting stuff is WAY too addictive...and confusing for
newbies.

Just purchased on E-Bay what was supposed to be an Omas 360 pen. It is not.
The side of it says Omas 557-S and, quite frankly, it looks much chaper than
I expected considering how highly everyone here spoke of Omas. Maybe it's
just because it is kind of plain, I don't know.

Before I ink it and try it out I need to figure out if this is a keeper or
not. Anyone have any information on the pen or a spot that could tell me
something about it? The nib looks like an Omas nib (says Omas, multicolor
with silver arrow and silver diamond at bottom that has 585 in it, magnet
won't stick) but it seems kind of dull and the yellow kind of dark. Mostly
it is the very plain clip to it that just strikes me as cheap and I'm
worried I'm getting ripped off...which is alway a concern on E-Bay.

Old September 12th 04, 02:44 AM
Allen

With my very limited knowledge of Omas pens I do know that the 557 model is
one that was made in the 50's, maybe through the 60's and while very simple
looking in style, is a very nice pen and they tend to hold their value quite
well. I have one with a gold filled cap that cost me $350. You don't see
them very often. The last one I saw on e-bay was being sold by a dealer in
Italy and the reserve was not met at $275. I think he wanted $300 for it
and it was a gray marbled one.

Old September 14th 04, 05:18 PM
BL

Jack Harrell wrote:
Just purchased on E-Bay what was supposed to be an
Omas 360 pen. It is not. The side of it says Omas
557-S and, quite frankly, it looks much chaper than I expected
considering how highly everyone here
spoke of Omas. Maybe it's just because it is kind
of plain, I don't know. Before I ink it and try it
out I need to figure out if this is a keeper or
not. Anyone have any information on the pen or a
spot that could tell me something about it? The
nib looks like an Omas nib (says Omas, multicolor
with silver arrow and silver diamond at bottom that
has 585 in it, magnet won't stick) but it seems
kind of dull and the yellow kind of dark. Mostly it is the very plain
clip to it that just strikes
me as cheap and I'm worried I'm getting ripped
off...which is alway a concern on E-Bay.

How much did you pay for it, Jack? That is not a 360. The 360 is a
3-sided pen. What you have there is OMAS's largest size ogiva (smooth
round) pen. The 557 is the numeric designation for their largest pen,
the S means smooth. Thus a 557F would be their largest faceted pen (the
Paragon is a 557F... the smaller, Milord, size pens are numbered 556 and
either S or F). The 585 on the nib means it's a 14k gold nib which is
why your magnet didn't stick to it. OMAS's 14k nibs are very nice and
take customization (e.g., adding flex) very well. IMO they're among the
nicest nibs on the market today. The pen is made out of vegetal resin.
Vegetal resin is very close in composition to celluloid, but it is not
as pretty. The main constituent is cotton. It is extremely shock
resistant but somewhat more prone to scratching than cellulose nitrate.
If you want a nicer OMAS, you could spring for one of their cellulose
nitrate pens, but you'll pay a lot more for it than the pen you have
there and it won't necessarily write any better (they use the same
ebonite feeds and nibs on all their pens). Assuming you bought the pen
from an honest seller who didn't muck it up by trying to unscrew the nib
or something, it should be a very nice writing, workhorse-type pen for
you. --- Bernadette

Old September 17th 04, 01:49 PM
Jack Harrell

Well, I paid $150 for it and I have a sneaking suspicion that I've probably
just paid about the regular retail price of the pen.

I have inked it, btw, and I absolutely love the way it writes. So I'm happy
with the purchase although I still wish I knew the retail price of it and
knew I didnt overspend. My enjoyment of my toys is directly proportional to
how good of a deal I think I got on it.

. ..

Old September 18th 04, 02:27 AM
BL

Jack Harrell wrote:
Well, I paid $150 for it and I have a sneaking
suspicion that I've probably just paid about the
regular retail price of the pen.

I have inked it, btw, and I absolutely love the way
it writes. So I'm happy with the purchase although
I still wish I knew the retail price of it and
knew I didnt overspend. My enjoyment of my toys is
directly proportional to how good of a deal I think
I got on it.

Jack-- I don't recall what the retail price on that pen was, but I'm
sure it was higher than $150. The 557S is a Paragon size ogiva. Paragons
retail for over $400. I'd feel real good about bagging a 557S for
$150. -- Bernadette

Old September 18th 04, 12:38 PM
Juan

"BL" wrote in message ...
Jack Harrell wrote:
Well, I paid $150 for it and I have a sneaking
suspicion that I've probably just paid about the
regular retail price of the pen.

I have inked it, btw, and I absolutely love the way
it writes. So I'm happy with the purchase although
I still wish I knew the retail price of it and
knew I didnt overspend. My enjoyment of my toys is
directly proportional to how good of a deal I think
I got on it.

Jack-- I don't recall what the retail price on that pen was, but I'm
sure it was higher than $150. The 557S is a Paragon size ogiva. Paragons
retail for over $400. I'd feel real good about bagging a 557S for
$150. -- Bernadette

Bernadette, I don't know about the current prices of Omas pens, but
although the 557S (or the MoMa) are around the same size than the
paragon (I think that the MoMA is even bigger), they were in the price
range of the milords.

Keep on the good work, Juan
Old September 18th 04, 11:16 PM
BL

Juan wrote:

Bernadette, I don't know about the current prices
of Omas pens, but although the 557S (or the MoMa)
are around the same size than the paragon (I think
that the MoMA is even bigger), they were in the
price range of the milords.

Hi Juan... As you know, OMAS made a small ogiva (556 size) that could be
had for around $150 or a little less. The larger (557 size) ogivas
retailed for more. You are correct in pointing out that S pens generally
cost less than their F counterparts; but even so, the faceted 556 size
(i.e., milord size) pens retail for over $300. So, any way you slice it,
Jack got a good deal... don't ya think? Cheers! Bernadette

FS: Omas T2 Titanium FP kmarv Pens & Pencils 0 March 28th 04 06:57 PM
F.S.: Omas T-2 LE F.P. Barry Thall Pens & Pencils 0 December 21st 03 07:32 PM
Omas MOMA Juan Pens & Pencils 7 November 13th 03 11:51 PM
Omas Vespucci Red kcat Pens & Pencils 2 November 2nd 03 11:46 PM
Omas Celluloid Blue Royale w stub by Jerry Trafford FS Adam Rodman Pens & Pencils 0 August 13th 03 01:16 PM