Does PCGS slab cleaned coins?

Old August 11th 05, 03:28 AM
. .

James, awhile ago there was another 1796 quarter posted here that was
also in a PCGS holder. It was bent and heavily scratched, graded Fr-02.
Isn't there at last one of those rare colonial shillings(?) holed, in a
PCGS slab? The one where there is only 1 known specimen without a hole.
Using my rather faulty memory here.

And yes that quarter is cleaned, or else my eyes are worse than I thot.

Old August 11th 05, 03:28 AM
Son of the Beach

Default Does PCGS slab cleaned coins?

I have suspected for some time that they have to be a little lenient on
the older coins, especially silver simply because so many of them were
cleaned when it was numismatically acceptable. I have seen several
"white" bust halfs in various company's slabs.

I am eager to hear what other folks on this board have to say.

Old August 11th 05, 03:42 AM
LM5403

PCGS's rules about what gets in a slab seem to be about as mutable as epay's
rules for everything. Depends on the players and the value.

"James Higby" heezerbumfrool[at]hotmail[dot]com wrote in message
For example, this looks cleaned to me:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1796-quarter-PCG... QcmdZViewItem

Ira once told me that PCGS is somewhat lenient on these early American
coins, as almost all of them were cleaned at one time or another. But I
am wondering, at what point/date does it become more selective as to what
it will slab? What about scratches, rim bumps, etc? Would this coin get
into a PCGS slab even if it had a rim bump?

James
'trying to upgrade my limited knowledge'

Old August 11th 05, 12:43 PM
Bob Peterson

When they slabbed cleaned coins they consider acceptable to be slabbed, PCGS
refers to them as "conserved" rather than cleaned. NGC seems to follow the
same practice.

Old August 11th 05, 02:21 PM
James Higby

"Bob Peterson" wrote in message
When they slabbed cleaned coins they consider acceptable to be slabbed,
PCGS refers to them as "conserved" rather than cleaned. NGC seems to
follow the same practice.

Maybe so, but I'd like to see them do it right out in the open, where you
and I can see it.

James
'tired of always having to guess'

Old August 11th 05, 04:59 PM
Ira Stein

James Higby wrote:
For example, this looks cleaned to me:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1796-quarter-PCG... QcmdZViewItem

Ira once told me that PCGS is somewhat lenient on these early American
coins, as almost all of them were cleaned at one time or another. But I am
wondering, at what point/date does it become more selective as to what it
will slab? What about scratches, rim bumps, etc? Would this coin get into
a PCGS slab even if it had a rim bump?

James
'trying to upgrade my limited knowledge'

It's likely cleaned, but not a s bad as some. PCGS, NGC and ANACS are
somewhat more lenient on early Type, and of course, dipped AU-BU Bust
halves seem to be the rule rather than the exception. If a hairlined
1804 Bust Quarter (rare date) is seen in a slab, don't assume a
similarly hairlined bust quarter dated 1806 (common date) will be
slabbed ss well. It probably won't.

Rarity plays a role on what is accceptable into the marketplace..hence
market grading. Of course, cleaning coins was encouraged in the mid to
late 1800's, so an original uncleaned early Type example is much
scarcer than anyone can imagine.

Ira

Old August 13th 05, 05:01 AM
. .