EU wants anti-forgery software in scanners and printers

Old September 10th 04, 12:53 PM
John Stone

Default EU wants anti-forgery software in scanners and printers

http://www.out-law.com/php/page.php?...34&area=n ews
Old September 12th 04, 03:29 AM
Tim McDaniel

In article ,
John Stone wrote:
http://www.out-law.com/php/page.php?page_id=dontbothertrying1093872434&area=n ews

It's a summary of a report from The Observer at
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,6903,1232480,00.html:

Computer and software manufacturers are to be forced to introduce
new security measures to make it impossible for their products to
be used to copy banknotes.

The move, to be drafted into European Union legislation by the
year end, follows a surge in counterfeit currency produced using
laser printers, home scanners and graphics software. Imaging
software and printers have become so powerful and affordable that
production of fake banknotes has become a booming cottage
industry. ...

Although the Bank of England refuses to issue figures for the
number of counterfeit notes in circulation and insists they
represent a negligible fraction of notes issued, it also admits
fakes are on the increase. ...

The software relies on features built into leading
currencies. Latest banknotes contain a pattern of five tiny
circles. On the £20 note, they're disguised as a musical
notation, on the euro they appear in a constellation of stars; on
the new $20 note, the pattern is hidden in the zeros of a
background pattern. Imaging software or devices detect the pattern
and refuse to deal with the image.

Huh! I didn't know that there was an international "standard".

Researchers at Hewlett Packard are to introduce technology that
would allow printers to detect colours similar to those used in
currency. The printer will automatically alter the colour so that
the difference between the final product and a genuine banknote
will be easily detectable by the naked eye.

--
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To:
Old September 12th 04, 01:35 PM
Michael E. Marotta

(John Stone) wrote
http://www.out-law.com/php/page.phpp...34&area=ne ws

"The European Union is drafting proposals to force manufacturers to
include anti-forgery software in products such as scanners and
printers, according to The Observer newspaper. The legislation would
seek to tackle the growth in counterfeit currency."

This already is in place in America. When you copy a federal reserve
note on a machine made after some arbitrary recent date, the machine
stores a timestamp. If they trace the phony money back to the
machine, the machine will talk.

Michael
ANA R-162953
Old September 12th 04, 01:50 PM
A.Gent

"Michael E. Marotta" wrote in message
om...
(John Stone) wrote

http://www.out-law.com/php/page.phpp...34&area=ne ws

"The European Union is drafting proposals to force manufacturers to
include anti-forgery software in products such as scanners and
printers, according to The Observer newspaper. The legislation would
seek to tackle the growth in counterfeit currency."

This already is in place in America. When you copy a federal reserve
note on a machine made after some arbitrary recent date, the machine
stores a timestamp. If they trace the phony money back to the
machine, the machine will talk.

Michael
ANA R-162953

"I never meant to scan it!
I swear to God - he made do it. I thought he bought me just to scan holday
snaps!
Honest, your honour, he threatened to pull my plug if I didn't copy that
note..."

Old September 12th 04, 03:33 PM
Mame

I didn't have time to read the article but just thought I would add that the
latest version of Photoshop (Photoshop CS) has anti-counterfeit measures
built into it.

Mame

"John Stone" wrote in message
om...

http://www.out-law.com/php/page.php?...93872434&area=
news

Old September 12th 04, 08:15 PM
Tim McDaniel

In article , Mame wrote:
I didn't have time to read the article but just thought I would add
that the latest version of Photoshop (Photoshop CS) has
anti-counterfeit measures built into it.

I'm sorry that I didn't note that they mentioned that too.

--
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: