The First Art Stamp Ever?

Old November 10th 05, 01:01 AM
Gerhard Reichert

Default The First Art Stamp Ever?

"amesh" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
. ..
C'mon guys and gals,
What was the earliest art stamp in *your* country?

Mette

For Germany it could be 1900, Michel # 64, 2 Reichsmark, its a detail of the
painting "North and South" by Anton von Werner (1843 - 1915).

Best regards

Gerhard

Old November 10th 05, 01:57 AM
Blair (TC)

Mette:

Based on your definition, pick one of the following.

=====================================
Postal Administration: Canada
Title: Queen Victoria
Denomination: 12d
Date of Issue: 14 June 1851

http://data2.collectionscanada.ca/ap/s/s000031k_a1.jpg

Based on a painting by Alfred Edward Chalon
Portrait engraved by Alfred Jones
Original Artwork: Alfred Edward Chalon,
"Queen Victoria", 1837

First definitive stamp showing portrait of a monarch
based on a painting.

Postal Administration: Canada
Title: L'Abitation de Québecq
Denomination: 5¢
Date of Issue: 16 July 1908

http://data2.collectionscanada.ca/ap/s/s000154k.jpg

Designed by José Antonio Machado
Engraved by Elie Timothée Loizeaux
Based on a drawing by Samuel de Champlain

First commemorative of a historical event based on
a drawing of that period.

======================================
Postal Administration: Canada
Title: Confederation, 1867-1917
Denomination: 3¢
Date of Issue: 15 September 1917

http://data2.collectionscanada.ca/ap/s/s000199k.jpg

Based on a painting by Robert Harris
Engraved by Edwin H. Gunn
Original Artwork: Robert Harris,
"The Fathers of Confederation", 1883-1884

First commemorative of a historical event showing a
painting of the event.

======================================
Postal Administration: Canada
Title: Alaska Highway between Watson Lake and Nelson
Denomination: 8¢
Date of Issue: 8 February 1967

http://data2.collectionscanada.ca/ap/s/s000513k.jpg

Based on a painting by Alexander Young Jackson
Picture engraved by Allan Alexander Carswell
Lettering engraved by Gordon Mash
Designed by Rapid Grip and Batten Limited

Original Artwork: Alexander Young Jackson,
"Alaska Highway between Watson Lake and Nelson",
1943 , National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa, Ontario

First definitives to show Canadian paintings.

=======================================
Postal Administration: Canada
Title: Suzor-Côté, 1869-1937
Denomination: 50¢
Date of Issue: 14 March 1969

http://data2.collectionscanada.ca/ap/s/s000555k.jpg

Based on a painting by Marc-Aurèle de Foy Suzor-Côté
Original Artwork: Marc-Aurèle de Foy Suzor-Côté,
"Return from the Harvest Field", 1903
National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa, Ontario

First Canadian commemorative stamp issued to
commemorate a specific artist.

Best Regards
Blair

Old November 10th 05, 03:52 AM
Rodney

Why a need for the third?
If the second hanging fails,
one gets a reprieve.

Even more symbolic were the 1 to 3 hangman's nooses

Old November 10th 05, 06:55 AM
Pierre Courtiade

Default Death penalties [was The First Art Stamp Ever?]

Even more symbolic were the 1 to 3 hangman's nooses
placed on Italian letters to signify the degree of urgency.
(ie the degree of punishment to the messenger for
delaying the message.) 8*)

Blair

Why a need for the third?
If the second hanging fails,
one gets a reprieve.

Rodney

He he he !

Here you can see the superiority of the French system as opposed to the
British one : our guillotine never failed.
Thus, no need for any reprieve !

:-))))

To come back to the topic and to Mette's question : I think Didier
answered correctly for France (Lion of Belfort and Arc of Triumph
sculptures) : stamps issued in 1917.

But I prefer by far the French art series of the early 1960's mentioned
by Mette in her 1st post.

--
Pierre Courtiade

Old November 10th 05, 09:13 AM
amesh

Very nice picks Blair :-)

I like the Alaska Highway by Jackson, who was a member of The Group of
Seven. This stamp is in my collection, and I will add the technical details
to my website about Jackson.

L'Abitation de Québecq is a wonderful stamp!

Thanks, and
Best regards
Mette

"Blair (TC)" skrev i en meddelelse
oups.com...
Mette:

Based on your definition, pick one of the following.

=====================================
Postal Administration: Canada
Title: Queen Victoria
Denomination: 12d
Date of Issue: 14 June 1851

http://data2.collectionscanada.ca/ap/s/s000031k_a1.jpg

Based on a painting by Alfred Edward Chalon
Portrait engraved by Alfred Jones
Original Artwork: Alfred Edward Chalon,
"Queen Victoria", 1837

First definitive stamp showing portrait of a monarch
based on a painting.

Postal Administration: Canada
Title: L'Abitation de Québecq
Denomination: 5¢
Date of Issue: 16 July 1908

http://data2.collectionscanada.ca/ap/s/s000154k.jpg

Designed by José Antonio Machado
Engraved by Elie Timothée Loizeaux
Based on a drawing by Samuel de Champlain

First commemorative of a historical event based on
a drawing of that period.

======================================
Postal Administration: Canada
Title: Confederation, 1867-1917
Denomination: 3¢
Date of Issue: 15 September 1917

http://data2.collectionscanada.ca/ap/s/s000199k.jpg

Based on a painting by Robert Harris
Engraved by Edwin H. Gunn
Original Artwork: Robert Harris,
"The Fathers of Confederation", 1883-1884

First commemorative of a historical event showing a
painting of the event.

======================================
Postal Administration: Canada
Title: Alaska Highway between Watson Lake and Nelson
Denomination: 8¢
Date of Issue: 8 February 1967

http://data2.collectionscanada.ca/ap/s/s000513k.jpg

Based on a painting by Alexander Young Jackson
Picture engraved by Allan Alexander Carswell
Lettering engraved by Gordon Mash
Designed by Rapid Grip and Batten Limited

Original Artwork: Alexander Young Jackson,
"Alaska Highway between Watson Lake and Nelson",
1943 , National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa, Ontario

First definitives to show Canadian paintings.

=======================================
Postal Administration: Canada
Title: Suzor-Côté, 1869-1937
Denomination: 50¢
Date of Issue: 14 March 1969

Old November 10th 05, 09:15 AM
amesh

"Rodney" skrev i en meddelelse

Well, for Australia, I'd guess..........

A painting by Virgil Reilly shown on the front cover
of Australia's favourite Womens magazine in 1939
inspired Frank Manly for the 1940 Oz issues.

The 3 servicemen shown in the painting, were killed during
the war. The nurse is the artist's wife.

All persons used in the stamp design survived the war.

http://cjoint.com/data/ljxDYz30CL.htm
apologies for poor example.

Nice commemorative with an interesting story.
Mette

Old November 10th 05, 10:49 AM
Gerhard Reichert

Hi again Mette,

if You found a picture of this painting, I would appreciate an Url for it.

The second art on stamps in Germany was Michel # 351 - 354, the welfare
issue of 1924,
with scenes of the living of St. Elisabeth, painted by Moritz von Schwind,
1804 - 1871. The same pictures were used for the very expensive block issue
1933, Michel # 508 -511.

The next one, I found, was Michel # 700, 1939, Picture of a Venice Lady by
Albrecht Dürer (1471 - 1528).

1944, Michel # 902 and 903 a piece of a goldsmith, the "Nautilusbecher" of
Dresden, made by Eberhard Quippe in the year 1689.

It´s interesting, really, I never before looked for this.

Have a fine day.

Gerhard

Old November 10th 05, 12:06 PM
amesh

"Gerhard Reichert" skrev i
en meddelelse ...
Hi again Mette,

if You found a picture of this painting, I would appreciate an Url for it.

The second art on stamps in Germany was Michel # 351 - 354, the welfare
issue of 1924,
with scenes of the living of St. Elisabeth, painted by Moritz von Schwind,
1804 - 1871. The same pictures were used for the very expensive block
issue 1933, Michel # 508 -511.

The next one, I found, was Michel # 700, 1939, Picture of a Venice Lady by
Albrecht Dürer (1471 - 1528).

1944, Michel # 902 and 903 a piece of a goldsmith, the "Nautilusbecher" of
Dresden, made by Eberhard Quippe in the year 1689.

It´s interesting, really, I never before looked for this.

Hi again, Gerhard,
Sorry, I mixed up Germany with Deutsches Reich. It is from the
Bundesrepublik I have the images. At this moment I can only provide the
small thumbnails from my (ooold) Michel Germany 1997/98. I will look around
and see if it's possible to find proper images elsewhere.

BTW, I like that Nautilusbecher (#902-903) :-)

Mette

Old November 10th 05, 01:46 PM
amesh

"Dominique Stéphan" skrev i en meddelelse
amesh a écrit:
"Gerhard Reichert"
skrev i en meddelelse

- snip

Hello,

As pointed out by Gerhard, all stamps are somehow
art (well, a few exceptions exist, I don't think
Blue Boy qualifies as art). Well-known artists
(known for arts outside the stamp world) have
designed stamps, even definitive stamps (Jean
Cocteau made a Marianne for instance), and
most stamp artists also produce art.

So I see 2 ways to define Art on Stamp :

1) by the stamp subject : is it Art ?

The answer can generally be answered by yes or no.
For instance, all stamps designed by Decaris are not Art
on Stamp, but the one issued about Decaris is !
The Liberty by Delacroix is Art on Stamp when
reproduced in 1999, but is not when it's
the definitive set engraved by Gandon.

2) by the stamp illustration : is it Art ?

Well, you can make your opinion the large way (always
or so), or make some personal choices :
reproduction of existing art (so, if the painting is
done for the stamp, it's no more art ?), if the
art is from a "big" name, ... As it's a matter
of personal taste (or "expert" taste), you basically
have to decide what is art and what is not...
In this case, I don't see how to agree for the first "Art on Stamp"
stamp ! My personal taste would be the Black Penny,
as it's Art in many ways : reproduction of a
medal, great adaption to plane design, and
great engraving.

There is another way to see Art & Stamp, it's
to collect the actual art : original drawings
and also die proofs (when the dies are from the hand
of an engraver) are Art, not mere reproductions !

It's quite interesting to see how differently collectors perceive "art". I
think that the answer to the original question, quoted from Topical Time,
boils down to that there is no given answer, and that any collector should
make his own definition. Personally I can accept the French stamps with the
Ceres-head as "art", since they reproduce an artwork of the mythological
figure. And I can also accept art designs specially made for the stamp
format by a recognized artist. But engravings are not "art on stamps" to me,
but rather philatelic art, which is quite different :-)

Mette