Mint or used?

Old February 3rd 04, 02:36 AM
Rodney

| My Curling collection - Since I just started it, I really haven't decided
| between mint/used. Right now I think it will be as my Christmas stamps
| until I find more pieces. Right now I have 1 MNH, 2 used, and 1 FDC.

One to look out for Ames....

http://groups.msn.com/Stamps/shoebox...to&PhotoID=208

Living in Sharjah, I would think curling to be an ideal sport.

Old February 3rd 04, 04:12 AM
Doug Spade

"Grandpa" jsdebooATcomcast.net wrote in message
I'm curious, as to whether you collect mint or used stamps for your
primary country(s)? I collect used mainly but do snag a few mint ones
here and there if the price is right.

Price and condition rule. There are many in my U.S. collection I would
never be able to afford in mint condition. In an ideal world, I would have
both mint and used of every issue. Then again, in an ideal world, money
wouldn't be an issue. So I'll settle for a pretty darn good world---happily
drool over the auction catalog pictures of stuff I'll never have but sure
enjoy seeing---purchase what I can afford, and just have a blast with the
collection I'm building.

Mike

Old February 8th 04, 12:22 AM
Ames

"Grandpa" jsdebooATcomcast.net wrote in message
Ames wrote:

My US joint issues collection - Haven't started it yet, but I would

imagine
it will be used (at least to start with) since I can take duplicates

from my
afore mentioned US collection.

Have you a sense of how many US joint issues there are? JIs were
mentioned in a recent thread and that got me to thinking as I like to
collect the 'different' stuff, however a fairly rudimentary search
provided little info on US JIs.

I am working on that as we speak. I'll have to let you know later - perhaps
in another thread.

Your reference to Xmas (US) has a familiar ring tooG, another one I've
been toying with, however those are not too hard to track down info about.

Check out the Christmas Philatelic Club's website at
http://www.hwcn.org/link/cpc/ (yes, I am a member). They have lots of great
information!

--
Ames
remove the gum to reply

Old February 8th 04, 05:01 AM
ron walenciak

Here's some to get you started:

Saint Lawrence Seaway Commemorative Stamp 6/26/84
Joint Issue

Stamp Collecting Booklet
1/23/86 Joint Issue

18 cent Statue of Liberty International Airmail Stamp 7/04/86
Joint Issue

Australia Bicentennial Commemorative Stamp 1/26/88
Joint Issue

New Sweden Airmail Stamp
3/29/88 Joint Issue

USA-Switzerland Stamp
2/22/91 Joint Issue

Columbian Souvenir Sheets
5/22/92 Quad Joint Issue

29-Cent Space Block of Four
5/29/92 Joint Issue

Grace Kelly Commemorative Stamp
3/24/93 Joint Issue

Cranes Commemorative Stamps
10/09/94 Joint Issue

These are from a fellow named Bud Scrantom who made up philatelic pages
(sort of like Souvenir Pages, but privately produced). He made one for each
of the joint US issues of this time period. We show the Cranes (US/China) on
our website at http://www.asppp.org/id65.htm These show up in our society
auction sometimes.

Also, another fellow named Robert Porter also made up his own pages; he has
one for the 1990 Creatures of the Sea joint issue with USSR; surf on over to
his site http://www.porterpages-fdcs.com/crea...of_the_sea.htm and take a
look; it's available if you want to buy one, too; tell him I sent you just
for laughs... I don't profit from it in any way, I'm just promoting
philatelic pages as the President/Editor/webmaster of the ASPPP.

Then, I know there's a US/Mexico issue in the early 60's or so, and a St
Lawrence Seaway with Canada around that time also.

Regards,

Ron

Ron Walenciak

President, American Society for Philatelic Pages and Panels www.asppp.org

Old February 8th 04, 05:22 AM
ron walenciak

and if I haven't bored you with philatelic pages yet, try this one
http://www.knightdreamers.com/HomePa...ster/pp16.html

it has the Florida stamp and the Mexican Independence stamp joint issues on
Stamp Posters.