Meaning of "mlrd"

Old September 24th 03, 01:34 PM
Tony Clayton

In an earlier message "Tony Vella" wrote:

A.E. Gelat wrote:
Thanks, Blair, but they do not work for me. I tried it on a
Microsoft WORD document and also on Microsoft Outlook Express --
nothing happens. In Outlook Express, (email), there is ping when I
old down ALT, that's all. What computer program do you use? I have
MS XP..

Tony

Hi Tony.

I use XP also. Two little things: make sure you use the numbers on the
keypad and not the ones above the qwertyuiop and also make sure your number
lock is on. I have been using the alt-code (win 95, win 98, win 2000, win
mill) for ages on word, wordperfect, outlook express, outlook, corel,
access, excel, etc. without any problem.

Someone asked whether you had to memorize all those codes. Well, after a
while you find that you only use a dozen or so regularly which quite quickly
stick in your memory. After all these years however, I still have to look
up 'a tilde' (ã) and 'o tilde' (õ) and the upper case 'C cedille' (Ç) for
Portuguese (and French) ... for some reason these three will not stick in
my head.

I hope this helps. If you are doing all this and still cannot get the
accented characters, then I'm as lost as you as to a reason.

The big advantage of a RiscOS machine is that you can get the accented characters
easily by remembering the accent codes only.

To get é I press Alt-[ followed by e
To get á I press Alt-[ followed by a
and so on for acute accents.
To get à I press Alt-] followed by a
To get ä I press Alt-; followed by a
To get â I press Alt-' followed by a
To get ã I press Alt-, followed by a
To get å I press Alt-. followed by a

¢ is obtained using Alt-c
ç is obtained using Alt-/ followed by c (note that the / key also has ? on it)

The only snag is that my fonts are now so out of date that there is no euro symbol amongst them!
I get a tick if I use the Alt-128, but I gather some others will see the euro sign e.g. €.

--
Tony Clayton or
Coins of the UK :
Old September 26th 03, 12:11 AM
Rodney

| I met a girl from France many years ago and she had acute accent.
| Also, after a few glasses of good wine, she was a real character.

I grew up infatuated with one such lass,
old photos still have me weak at the knees.
One Bridgette Bardot.

Old September 26th 03, 12:50 AM
Bob Ingraham

From: "Rodney"
Newsgroups: rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 07:11:48 +0800
Subject: OT Accented characters was Meaning of "mlrd" Attn: Tony
Clayton

| I met a girl from France many years ago and she had acute accent.
| Also, after a few glasses of good wine, she was a real character.

But remember, many acute girl, even those with character, can put a man in
his gravé. I once met a German girl named Tilde, but she said to me, "You,
you are, um, um, um laüt!

boB

Old September 26th 03, 02:01 PM
Doug Spade

Thanks for the list! I've been trying to figure out for the longest time
now to write "ñ" and basically gave up in disgust.

Now I've got the list handy whenever I need it.

Mike

Old October 5th 03, 09:49 AM
Dave Joll

"TC" wrote

Victor et Pier
I think you are thinking of the lyrics by
Jacques Dutronc.
The song is called "Et moi, et moi, et moi"
[Please see below.]

Thanks for the words... now, do you have a translation
so us monolingual types can figure out the jokes? :-)

- Dave

Old October 7th 03, 04:47 PM
TC

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 21:49:18 +1300, "Dave Joll"
wrote:

"TC" wrote

Victor et Pier
I think you are thinking of the lyrics by
Jacques Dutronc.
The song is called "Et moi, et moi, et moi"
[Please see below.]

Thanks for the words... now, do you have a translation
so us monolingual types can figure out the jokes? :-)

- Dave

Dave:

Jokes, like poetry and songs, lose a lot in translation
between languages and cultures.

Blair