FA: 1955/55 DDO Lincoln Cent PCGS MS-64 RD Oly..this one's for YOU

Old July 7th 07, 11:16 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
note.boy

Default FA: 1955/55 DDO Lincoln Cent PCGS MS-64 RD Oly..this one's for YOU

"Bruce Remick" wrote in message

"note.boy" wrote in message

"Bruce Remick" wrote in message

[snip]

Another perfect example, but I was thinking in terms of coins with
numismatic value.

Bruce

Any modern UK coin bought in the run up to decimalisation in 1971 or
shortly afterwards.

They have yet to reach those levels again and, allowing for inflation,
they probably never will.

To give one example the "plastic" set of 1953 sold back then, 1970, for
£25 and now they can be had for £5, to keep pace with inflation the
value would now have to be around £250.

I have a large collection of old UK coin magazines and the pages are
full of dealer adverts encouraging collectors to invest in modern UK
coinage.

It was even suggested that a bag of Churchill crowns could be a sound
investment, they are currently worth about £1 and if got a face in 1965
would now have to worth £3 each to break even allowing for inflation.
Billy

I was a budding world collector back in the mid-60s and saw an ad in Coin
World or some such place, placed by QDB, hawking 1951 pennies in EF-AU
for something like $17.50 each. Caught up in his palaver, I bit a big
bullet and ordered out two of them. They were very nice coins, with full
detail and a decent amount of red still showing, but they hardly kept up
with inflation. My dreams of buying a new car with the proceeds of their
sale were dashed.

James

So what are thesey going for today? I have a shiny AU/Unc in my British
penny album and always knew it was one of the better late dates. I never
paid very much for it.

Some of the recent US coins I was thinking of that sort of tanked after
reaching a lofty price status include the 1950-D nickel and the 1960
Lincoln small date. To be fair, these rose and fell during a period in
the 1960's when lots of other BU US coins were rising and falling, and
reflected more of a market frenzy/correction. I never recall the 1955 DDO
going through a similar fluctuation. It always seemed to increase in
value, especially in MS grades.

Bruce

1951 penny catalogue values are VF £11 and EF £25, these are UK grades so
adjust accordingly, you coin may equal EF. Billy

Old July 7th 07, 01:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"oly" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jul 6, 10:35 pm, (Scott
Stevenson) wrote:
On Fri, 6 Jul 2007 20:03:45 -0400, "Bruce Remick"
wrote:

"oly" wrote in message
roups.com...
On Jul 6, 11:52 am, "Bruce Remick" wrote:
"oly" wrote in message

The coming financial storm is still percolating at the horizon, but
the losses already being experienced in the bond market and real
estate market are real enough.

I don't doubt any of what you say, but I've lived through many economic
cycles and I don't see anything I should worry about.

Look at what the 10 year Treasury Note yield is now. Forty-five days
ago it was 4.90%; now it is 5.20%. That sounds small, but it
represents a Titanic shift in the expectations of bond traders, banks,
insurnace companies and other people who are "in the know".

Obviously I'm not "in the know" so to speak. So what you are reporting
is
simply economic dogma to me. What happens at those levels has never had
serious affect on my personal situation.

Based upon what you tell me here, you might need to hedge some against
future inflation. With the Goldman Sachs boys in control of the
Treasury, and "Helicopter Ben" Bernake at the helm of the FRB, the
chances that the Wall Street insiders will be bailed out at the
expense of future high inflation is very likely.

Again, I don't worry. When Wall St gets excited about inflation or
unemployment rising or falling a tenth of a percent, it has no bearing
on my
daily life. Whether I were working or not, the unemployment rate would
be
meaningless to me personally. In times of inflation, that means I'll
get a
greater cost of living raise in my pension each January.

Remember, it was the military men and the babushkas on fixed pensions
who got nailed to the wall in the former Soviet Union, when its
currency went to pot after 1989. Same thing in Weimar Germany in 1919
to 1923, although those old ladies weren't, of course, called
babushkas.

I would hardly equate our projected economic situation in the US to that
of
the former USSR or to post-WW I Germany. Maybe I'm optimistic and a
realist, but I like it that way. Less stressful, not always worrying
about
the sky falling.

Bruce,

I think it's that you've been around long enough to know that
there's been "proof" of the impending economic collapse for decades.

A quick google search for "coming depression" plus just about any
post-war year will show you articles (or books) from "experts"
explaining why the country is just days away from food lines, mass
starvation, and roving bands of gangs coming to kill you and steal
your drinking water.

Or, as they said on an episode of "West Wing"--"Economists were put
on earth to make psychics look good"

take care,
Scott- Hide quoted text -

If you care to ignore what has happened in the U.S. bond market in the
last forty-five days, well, it's (or it was) your money.

The bond market suggests that the continually declining interest rates
of the last 25 years are a thing of the past. That's a big deal.

oly

Y'know Oly, I had no idea anything scary was happening in the US Bond market
or that continually declining interest rates have come to an end. Is all
this supposed to have changed my life? Are you implying that if interest
rates begin to rise, they won't ever come down again? I've been hearing
this doomsday stuff all my life. I recall at least 50 years of angst over
our "fiat dollar", yet I've never felt an impact, if ever there was one.
Something is always "coming soon". If economics was such an exact science,
we'd only need one economist.

Bruce

Old July 7th 07, 02:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Jul 7, 7:28 am, "Bruce Remick" wrote:
"oly" wrote in message

ups.com...

"oly" wrote in message

[...]

Bruce- Hide quoted text -

Ignorance is bliss.

oly

Old July 7th 07, 02:50 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"oly" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jul 7, 7:28 am, "Bruce Remick" wrote:
"oly" wrote in message

ups.com...

"oly" wrote in message

[...]

I guess that's why there are so many economists.

Bruce

Old July 7th 07, 03:41 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dave Hinz

Default O.K., so what about that spot Ira?

On Fri, 6 Jul 2007 05:47:31 -0500, Mr. Jaggers lugburzman wrote:

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

Yet, your primary goal is not to, pardon, stir **** here. Oly doesn't
seem to contribute anything positive at all, just wants to get people
stirred up to respond. That's what a troll _is_. Disagreeing with
someone is one thing and to be expected. Posting messages specifically
crafted to, sorry, make people dance for him, is what Oly is doing, and
you're dancing. He's not worth the effort.

If you care to reject someone in that fashion, that is your business. I
would invite you to go back and re-read this entire thread. If you do so,
you will find that oly has a passion for elongateds, and can hold forth most
eloquently on his favorite subject at some length.

I don't read his posts directly; I only see what others quote from him.
He picks topics and posters to attack specifically to get responses. He
pulls the strings and puppets dance for him. This is what he comes to
the group for. That, I consider to be a troll and a waste of time to
interact with.

I consider that a
positive contribution. Although I have no real interest in that field
myself, I certainly am not going to sit here and publicly denigrate his
hobby. Yet that is what some on this newsgroup have done, and this is not
the first time. I believe that to be the core issue of this whole matter.

No, the core issue of the matter with him and the other two loudest
trolls, is that people keep dancing for them so they keep on trolling.

Tell you what - check out the google archives of misc.emerg-services to
see what happens when a few people toy with a harmless troll. Short
version: turned into an unusable sewer as the trolls brought in their
friends, the group became unusable, and had to be abandoned. Years
later maybe it's back but, I'd hate to lose a good resource for a few
years because someone wanted to dance for an obvious troll. I've seen it
happen.

Old July 7th 07, 03:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

[...]

I stand by everything I have said. Perhaps one day you will meet oly in
person, as I have, and find him to be a decent human being with his unique
combination of good points and bad points.

James

Old July 7th 07, 04:06 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
[...]

Well, don't worth Davykins; I don't have any friends.

Meanwhile, this is a great bridge to lounge under.

Over the several years that I've been here, the value of RCC has been
like a pendulum, swinging back and forth between valuable and asinine.

The people who are Ira's true believers, acolytes and shills do RCC a
far greater diservice than my well-founded skepticism.

oly
-------------------
No Lincoln Cent is worth $13400. How can you pay so much for so
little?

Old July 7th 07, 04:10 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
[...]

little?- Hide quoted text -

Thanks mon prof, I has been a great pleasure to meet & make your
acquaintance too. I know that I am a bundle of contradictions; and I
will ignore some of my own totally nutty collectible purchases if they
contradict with my tirade du jour.

oly

Old July 9th 07, 12:35 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dave Hinz

On Sat, 7 Jul 2007 09:59:01 -0500, Mr. Jaggers lugburzman wrote:

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

No, the core issue of the matter with him and the other two loudest
trolls, is that people keep dancing for them so they keep on trolling.

I stand by everything I have said. Perhaps one day you will meet oly in
person, as I have, and find him to be a decent human being with his unique
combination of good points and bad points.

I can see no benefit to meeting someone who (weakly attempts to)
badmouth experts in the field and insinuate dishonesty where there is
none. I recognize and reject his tactics for what they are. Life is
too short to dance with a pig.

Old July 9th 07, 12:55 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
No, the core issue of the matter with him and the other two loudest
trolls, is that people keep dancing for them so they keep on trolling.

I stand by everything I have said. Perhaps one day you will meet oly in
person, as I have, and find him to be a decent human being with his unique
combination of good points and bad points.

I can see no benefit to meeting someone who (weakly attempts to)
badmouth experts in the field and insinuate dishonesty where there is
none. I recognize and reject his tactics for what they are. Life is
too short to dance with a pig.

oink oink oink! Pigs are underrated.

And I have no tactics or agenda OTHER than to raise some doubts where
they are surely needed.

$13,400 for a Lincoln Cent? How can anybody pay so much for so
little??? Stoo-pidd.

And Dave, Ira has already ordered you to shut up. Do you wanna get
kicked out of the cult or sometin?

oly