Sir Isaac Newton at the Mint

Old August 23rd 06, 01:29 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mike Marotta

Default Sir Isaac Newton at the Mint

Sir Isaac Newton (1643-1727) was more than the most brilliant man of
his time. He invented the physics and the mathematics that made
possible the industrial age and the electronic age. He was an
accomplished lawyer, a prosecutor for the state, and later an effective
political administrator. His work in theology is unappreciated today as
is his skillful and artistic craftsmanship. He served in Parliament. He
was president of the Royal Society. For 30 years, he was Warden and
Master of the British Royal Mint. Most biographers ignore this
important and compelling assignment in service to the Crown.

Click on www.well.com/~mercury

This presentation is a slightly different version of the article that
appeared in the Novermber 2001 issue of NUMISMATIST magazine.

Old August 23rd 06, 08:07 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Sibirskmoneta

"Mike Marotta" wrote in message
ups.com...
Sir Isaac Newton (1643-1727) was more than the most brilliant man of
his time. He invented the physics and the mathematics that made
possible the industrial age and the electronic age. He was an
accomplished lawyer, a prosecutor for the state, and later an effective
political administrator. His work in theology is unappreciated today as
is his skillful and artistic craftsmanship. He served in Parliament. He
was president of the Royal Society. For 30 years, he was Warden and
Master of the British Royal Mint. Most biographers ignore this
important and compelling assignment in service to the Crown.

Click on www.well.com/~mercury

This presentation is a slightly different version of the article that
appeared in the Novermber 2001 issue of NUMISMATIST magazine.

Little known, is that when Tsar Petr I of Russia visited England in 1698 he
visited with Sir Isaac Newton, and is reported to have discussed coin topics
with him. No one is sure what was discussed, but afterwards Petr I launched
a huge reformation of the Russian coinage with new emphasis on minting
techniques being modernised etc.

Old August 23rd 06, 10:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mike Marotta

Sibirskmoneta wrote:
Little known, is that when Tsar Petr I of Russia visited England in 1698 he
visited with Sir Isaac Newton, and i...

Thanks for the heads-up. I went to the biographies that I have.
Berlinski (Newton's Gift) and White (The Last Sorcerer) say nothing
about that, or much at all about the Mint. However, Westfall (Never at
Rest) does have a line about Tsar Peter's visit in the chapter about
The Mint.

According to the Internet Movie Database (www.imdb.com), in the 1986
film, PETER THE GREAT, the role of Sir Isaac Newton was played by
Trevor Howard.

Old August 23rd 06, 10:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Cliff Lawless

On 23-Aug-2006, "Mike Marotta" wrote:

Click on www.well.com/~mercury

This presentation is a slightly different version of the article that
appeared in the Novermber 2001 issue of NUMISMATIST magazine.

Very intersting article. Thanks for posting the link. I was happy to see the
Middlesex token pictured. I have that Conder in my collection although a
different edge variety. I have a pretty decent picure of it at:
http://www.mycoincabinet.com/middlesex.html#newton (click the pic for an
even larger pic).

That's what I love about Conder tokens. Last night I spent an hour or so
reading about William Pitt and James Fox, pictured on a Middlesex Oddfellows
token I just received in the mail. Each one has a different story behind it.

Cliff Lawless

See what I'm into!
http://www.MyCoinCabinet.com
Old August 24th 06, 12:56 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Sibirskmoneta

Sibirskmoneta wrote:
Little known, is that when Tsar Petr I of Russia visited England in 1698
he
visited with Sir Isaac Newton, and i...

Thanks for the heads-up. I went to the biographies that I have.
Berlinski (Newton's Gift) and White (The Last Sorcerer) say nothing
about that, or much at all about the Mint. However, Westfall (Never at
Rest) does have a line about Tsar Peter's visit in the chapter about
The Mint.

According to the Internet Movie Database (www.imdb.com), in the 1986
film, PETER THE GREAT, the role of Sir Isaac Newton was played by
Trevor Howard.

Actually I read of his visit with Sir Isaac Newton in a biography of Petr I.
Unfortunately when Petr I was visiting the Royal Mint at the Tower, which he
did repeatedly, Sir Isaac was back in Cambridge. They met prior to Petr I's
visit to the mint.

Old August 24th 06, 06:08 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mike Marotta

Sibirskmoneta wrote:
Actually I read of his visit with Sir Isaac Newton in a biography of Petr I.
Unfortunately when Petr I was visiting the Royal Mint at the Tower, which he
did repeatedly, Sir Isaac was back in Cambridge. They met prior to Petr I's
visit to the mint.

Newton's Papers are accessible, many online. It is worth checking
into, perhaps. The Westfall biography of Newton says that Montague
requested Newton's presence for Tsar Peter's visit. I was not aware
that the tsar visited "repeatedly."

The whole story might make a good article. The ball is in your court.

Michael