"Add-On" Cachets?

Old December 13th 06, 11:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
EmrickCachets

Default "Add-On" Cachets?

Trying to figure out what MOST First Day Cover and Historical Cover
Collectors may think about "Add-On" cachets. I have several "Add-Ons"
in my collection and have known when purchasing that this was the case
with a couple of exceptions. I'm a new cachet maker and for the most
part have been concentrating on new postal issues... but, have had
requests and have done several add-ons to "blank" first day covers. I
recently made a couple of add-ons for my own collection using covers
postmarked on the USS Newport News CA-148 that I served on in 1967-68.
Did a cachet for the 67-68 Vietnam Cruise. Most people think it's
really cool. A few thought I was pretty much "de-facing" historic
covers. If you have a moment, take a look at what I'm doing and let me
know what you think. Thanks Bob Emrick www.emrickcachets.com

Old December 14th 06, 05:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
EmrickCachets

Sir F.A. - In some cases I AM talking about "Adding-On" to covers that
DID see the mails. I guess it's really up to the individual to
consider whether a cachet makes it MORE or LESS valued... and I DO
believe that a well done cachet makes or breaks a simple (blank) FDC...
That's why folks like myself are out there trying to create interesting
and cool cachet covers!
Thanks for taking the time to comment. Bob Emrick
www.emrickcachets.com
Sir F. A. Rien wrote:
On 13 Dec 2006 15:09:47 -0800, "EmrickCachets" found
these unused words floating about:

Trying to figure out what MOST First Day Cover and Historical Cover
Collectors may think about "Add-On" cachets. I have several "Add-Ons"
in my collection and have known when purchasing that this was the case
with a couple of exceptions. I'm a new cachet maker and for the most
part have been concentrating on new postal issues... but, have had
requests and have done several add-ons to "blank" first day covers. I
recently made a couple of add-ons for my own collection using covers
postmarked on the USS Newport News CA-148 that I served on in 1967-68.
Did a cachet for the 67-68 Vietnam Cruise. Most people think it's
really cool. A few thought I was pretty much "de-facing" historic
covers. If you have a moment, take a look at what I'm doing and let me
know what you think. Thanks Bob Emrick www.emrickcachets.com

Doubtful as 'historic' since the vast majority of them never saw the mails.

FDCs of real use are interesting, the USPS garbage, produced days earlier
and by the ton ... ???