Side-tracked, again.

Old June 2nd 06, 10:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Default Side-tracked, again.

Well, it has happened again. I find myself collecting on a tangent.
No sooner than I stop trying to collect every little piece of
information about Ellison's _A Boy and his Dog_ , which was an
offshoot of my Post-Apocalyptic craze, which meandered from an
Alternate History detour ( Evelyn Leeper !! ), the books that have
come home recently are S.F. titles that have as their location and/or
use California and especially San Francisco in the story line.
The most recent book is _When Things Fell Apart_ , By Ron Goulart,
which scores in all three categories: P-A, AH and California. A
funny read, BTW. Hmmm, humorous Apocalyptic...... No, not goin'
there.
Besides PKD, who is damaging my budget just fine, any help on fueling
this fire, and is there anyone else with 'Collecting on a Tangent'
tales?

Dave

" Hi, um, ahh my name is Dave, and I buy books...."

Old June 3rd 06, 01:34 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

In article ,
Dave wrote:

he most recent book is _When Things Fell Apart_ , By Ron Goulart, ... A
funny read, BTW. ... Besides PKD, who is damaging my budget just fine

Yes, but in collecting PKD at least you don't have to worry about
getting overloaded with funny reads.
Old June 3rd 06, 07:00 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

Scot Kamins wrote:
In article ,
Dave wrote:

he most recent book is _When Things Fell Apart_ , By Ron Goulart, ... A
funny read, BTW. ... Besides PKD, who is damaging my budget just fine

Yes, but in collecting PKD at least you don't have to worry about
getting overloaded with funny reads.

Are you kidding? Much of PKD's short fiction is really funny. Like the
guy who finds out he's King of the Elves, then realizes his neighbor is
King of the Trolls...

Plus even the darkest novels have great, funny lines in them, like
"Let's hear it for the faceless blur!" in A Scanner Darkly, or "But I
don't want to dial a setting that makes me want to dial a setting!"
from Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.

Lawrence "Pretty Decent Dick Collection But by No Means Complete"
Person

(And as far as alterante history goes, Dave, I'm sure you already know
about Howard Waldrop...)

Lawrence Person
Lame Excuse Books
Stock available online at www.tomfolio.com (searched by
www.bookfinder.com), or at:
http://home.austin.rr.com/lperson/lame.html

Old June 3rd 06, 09:15 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

It happens...

For unknown reason, I have a fine collection of books on the Louisiana
Purchase. For reasons unknown, I read one book on the tale, then another on
Burr, then one on Haiti and the revolution, then another on Texas history,
Burr/Hamilton, and on it goes. The threads get a bit hard to follow but the
link is the Purchase.

Alternative history - no malaria on Haiti and Napoleon's troops go on to
land in New Orleans. Just imagine a Quebec stretching from the Arctic to New
Orleans! Mexico would still retain California and Canada would retain
Oregon and Washington.

Willow

Old June 3rd 06, 12:42 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Dave,

Greetings!

The words, "tangent, offshoot, and offshoots" are familiar words here at
RCB:

tangent: http://www.tinyurl.com/p6ztx

offshoot: http://www.tinyurl.com/j7kq6

offshoots: http://www.tinyurl.com/f2rv3

Cheers,
Jerry Morris,
Man of Other People's Books

Moi's Books About Books: http://www.tinyurl.com/hib7
Moi's LIbrary http://www.moislibrary.com My Sentimental Library
http://www.picturetrail.com/mylibrary Florida Bibliophile Society
http://www.floridabibliophilesociety.org

Old June 3rd 06, 08:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 21:45:18 GMT, Dave wrote:

[...]

Well, it isn't post-apocalyptic, but the GREAT San Francisco SF* novel
is without a doubt OUR LADY OF DARKNESS by Fritz Leiber.

Cheers,

John

*Speculative Fiction as opposed to "Science Fiction".

Old June 5th 06, 01:52 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

On 2 Jun 2006 23:00:33 -0700, wrote:

Scot Kamins wrote:
In article ,
Dave wrote:

[...]

Lawrence,

Waldrop is wonderful. In fact, the Alternate History list that
Evelyn Leeper 'keeps' is truly a wonder. Just another resource on how
to over-spend my budget. I came to the conclusion several years ago
that my collecting started a little late to amass a definitive
collection of anything, due to my desire to stay fed, clothed and
married (not necessarily in that order). I wanted to collect the
books (and authors) that I read in the 60's, but by the 80's I thought
the better editions were too expensive (Ha!!). I also found that I do
not possess the drive to make the commitment to collecting that some
of the regulars here display. My tastes and interests change too
rapidly, at least in the areas that attract me.
So, I buy the best copies of authors that I like, when I find them,
and sell the duplicates when they arrive.

In fact, the last sale I made of all 5 PK Dick's _ Collected Shorts_
(truly Unread, the shrink wrap was still there from the publisher) was
disappointingly low, but hey, that is how it goes.

Best,

Dave

Not even close to "A decent collection of" ANYTHING. See 'Thread'
title..
Old June 5th 06, 12:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

wrote:
Lawrence Person
Lame Excuse Books
Stock available online at
www.tomfolio.com (searched by
www.bookfinder.com), or at:
http://home.austin.rr.com/lperson/lame.html

Jesus H. Christ Person, why don't you just list your entire stock under
your sig line and be done with it?
You are the first one to complain about commercial posts in this NG,
yet you violate the spirit of the charter with your commercial sig
line.
What a phony!

Polly Pockets with Dolls & Other PP Items F S Sue from NY General 0 August 28th 03 05:54 PM
Polly Pockets with Dolls & Other PP Items FS Sue from NY Dolls 0 August 28th 03 05:51 PM
CPK D O L L S FS Sue from NY Dolls 0 August 19th 03 04:30 AM
CPK Items For Sale Sue from NY Dolls 0 August 19th 03 04:12 AM
Polly Pockets Inside Assorted Items For Sale Sue from NY Dolls 0 August 8th 03 06:37 PM