Louisiana purchase was 1803 not 1804

Old September 30th 03, 06:56 PM
John Stone

Default Louisiana purchase was 1803 not 1804

Just to correct my previous posting. The Louisiana purchase was in 1803. The year
1804 was the start of the Louis and Clark expedition.
Old September 30th 03, 09:23 PM
Richard Snow

I was at the St. Louis show this past April. I wandered over to the Gateway
arch and mentioned that day was the exact day of the Bicentennial to one of
the guards. He was clueless! There was no special ceremony or anything! It
was reported widely on the radio too.

By the way, the museum at the base has a great set of Indian Peace medals
and an animatron of Charles Barber.

Rick Snow

Old October 1st 03, 03:16 AM
John Carney

"Richard Snow" wrote in message
I was at the St. Louis show this past April. I wandered over to the Gateway
arch and mentioned that day was the exact day of the Bicentennial to one of
the guards. He was clueless! There was no special ceremony or anything! It
was reported widely on the radio too.

By the way, the museum at the base has a great set of Indian Peace medals
and an animatron of Charles Barber.

Rick Snow

I saw that exhibition. It was seven years ago, before I got back into coin collecting. I'd
like another chance to see it, I'm sure I'd have a much different perspective now. My wife
and I took the claustrophobic ride up to the top of the arch and I was awed by the
engineering prowess that went into building that monument.

--
John

Visit the RCCers favorite coins web page
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jcarne...ns/rccers.html

Old October 1st 03, 01:57 PM
ELurio

What's interesting about the Louisiana purchase, is that Louisiana was Spanish
not French. Napolean basically sold what wasn't his and strong-armed Carlos IV
into aquiesence.

Why do you think "The Emperor of the World" would give up a HUGE tract of land
like that?

eric l.
Old October 1st 03, 04:31 PM
Coin Saver

From: elurio

Why do you think "The Emperor of the World" would give up a HUGE tract of land

like that?

It was a sheer genius move, had History had gone the way he had wished.

He sells the undeveloped, essentially worthless land for as much as he could
get, use the money to finance his military, conquer (eventually) the Colonial
U.S., and regain possession of the land for free.

8-/
Coin Saver

Just A Reminder To New Alt.Collecting.8-Track-Tapes Group Members Daniel & Kathy Gibson 8 Track Tapes 7 May 17th 04 12:06 PM
Actually I have an 1804 Terry S Coins 8 July 27th 03 02:17 PM
ORIGINAL 1804 Liberty Silver Dollar found in the Philippines (HELP ME FIND A BUYER) Bruce Hickmott Coins 4 July 25th 03 07:02 PM