FA: 1928-D $2.00 Red Seal US note - AU Condition, 1928-A $1.00 Ch.AU58 Silver Certificate

Old November 20th 07, 03:56 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dave Hinz

Default 1928-D $2.00 Red Seal US note - AU Condition, 1928-A $1.00 Ch. AU58 Silver Certificate

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 20:53:25 -0600, Mr. Jaggers lugburzman wrote:

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

If you're selling an iPod that 27,000 people want, who cares, bypass
paypal. If you're selling a coin that dozens or several people may be
bidding on, well, you're unwise to limit your potentital customers by
not giving paypal as a payment option. IMHO of course.

Conversely, unless the seller is offering a coin that I have sought for
years, I will generally bypass the no-PayPal auction. I need a real
incentive to stand in line behind people who are practicing their
Conversational English at the post office to buy a money order.

I think we're in agreement. If you don't offer paypal as a payment
option, you reduce your bids. I'd rather pay that way than take time
off work to go to the post office. Even in a small town with a
motivated postmaster and no lines, hours of operation vs. my hours of "I
need to be at work" motivate me to avoid non-paypal sellers.

Old November 20th 07, 04:08 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 13:14:32 -0600, Mr. Jaggers lugburzman wrote:

"tony cooper" wrote in message
On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 17:54:46 GMT, Jon Purkey

No PayPal is a turn-off to some.

Many.

Myself for sure.

Maybe even "most". 3% or whatever paypal takes, isn't much if you
factor in folks who don't want to bother with checks or whatever payment
method the seller wants. Much as it annoys me to give paypal a cut for
doing little, they _do_ increase the number of people who will bid on an
item.

If you're selling an iPod that 27,000 people want, who cares, bypass
paypal. If you're selling a coin that dozens or several people may be
bidding on, well, you're unwise to limit your potentital customers by
not giving paypal as a payment option. IMHO of course.

Conversely, unless the seller is offering a coin that I have sought for
years, I will generally bypass the no-PayPal auction. I need a real
incentive to stand in line behind people who are practicing their
Conversational English at the post office to buy a money order.

James

I finally bit the bullet a year ago and signed up with PayPal as a means to
pay for auctions. Boy, I agree, it is a very convenient way to pay for
things and I now see how many potential bidders might be turned off by eBay
sellers who don't accept this means of payment. However, I've been a little
confused as to how to enact Paypal as a means to accept payment for
auctions, so I have procrastinated. Is it a simple process to activate?
Are there several options to be aware of? Now, my PayPal payments are
simply deducted from my checking account. If I sign up to accept PayPal
payments, would they automatically be deposited in that same account?

Next, I'll be learning to use a cell phone.

Bruce

Old November 20th 07, 04:47 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"Bruce Remick" wrote in message

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
[...]

Have you heard about the 33 1/3 RPM vinyl discs, the latest in audiophilia?
If not, you're in for a real treat! 8)

IIRC you have to have an enhanced account. The one I have doesn't cost me
anything, even though I never sell anything. It was simple to set up. No,
the money is deposited in your PayPal account and you have to hand transfer
it.

James

Old November 20th 07, 04:55 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Tony Cooper

lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

Conversely, unless the seller is offering a coin that I have sought for
years, I will generally bypass the no-PayPal auction. I need a real
incentive to stand in line behind people who are practicing their
Conversational English at the post office to buy a money order.

The few times I've purchased a money order I've purchased them at the
7/11 on the corner. There's seldom a line of more than one or two
customers, and the line moves quickly.

In Florida, the cash advance places advertise no fee for money orders,
but I've never been in one. I don't know what the process is.

The post office would be my last choice for the purchase of a money
order.

--

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL
Old November 20th 07, 05:01 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
[...]

Most of mine are grooved on one side and are 78rpm. I don't know if I'd be
interested in records that revolve that much slower. I doubt they'll catch
on.

IIRC you have to have an enhanced account. The one I have doesn't cost me
anything, even though I never sell anything. It was simple to set up.
No, the money is deposited in your PayPal account and you have to hand
transfer it.

I think I did originally select an enhanced account, whatever that means,
after they kept bugging me with popups about doing it. I'll have to go back
to the PayPal site and try to figure out if I have to set up an additional
account for receiving payments. Do they automatically take out their fee
when a payment goes into your account?

Bruce

Old November 20th 07, 05:07 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Tony Cooper

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 22:08:25 -0500, "Bruce Remick"
wrote:

I finally bit the bullet a year ago and signed up with PayPal as a means to
pay for auctions. Boy, I agree, it is a very convenient way to pay for
things and I now see how many potential bidders might be turned off by eBay
sellers who don't accept this means of payment. However, I've been a little
confused as to how to enact Paypal as a means to accept payment for
auctions, so I have procrastinated. Is it a simple process to activate?

Dead simple. You get a debit card, so you can use the card to pay for
purchases. You can use the card to pay for anything since it's like
any other Master Card except that it is limited to your balance in
PayPal. I'm allowing the balance to accumulate because I'll use it to
pay for Christmas presents. It can be used anywhere a Master Card is
accepted.

You can also earn interest on the balance and earn rebates on what you
charge with the card. Considering the interest and the rebates, you
can offset the fees you pay for accepting PayPal.

Of course you can also request amounts paid into your PayPal account
transferred to your checking account.

Are there several options to be aware of?

Yep. Check off money market and cash back.

Now, my PayPal payments are
simply deducted from my checking account. If I sign up to accept PayPal
payments, would they automatically be deposited in that same account?

Nope. You have to request disbursement or use the credit card.
There's a limit on disbursement amounts, but you can sweep the account
frequently.

Next, I'll be learning to use a cell phone.

You're comfy with a pocket calculator? No abacus?

--

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL

Old November 20th 07, 05:20 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
[...]

What, no cylinders? Bruce, you are truly a modren guy.

James

Old November 20th 07, 05:22 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"tony cooper" wrote in message
On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 20:53:25 -0600, "Mr. Jaggers"
lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

Conversely, unless the seller is offering a coin that I have sought for
years, I will generally bypass the no-PayPal auction. I need a real
incentive to stand in line behind people who are practicing their
Conversational English at the post office to buy a money order.

The few times I've purchased a money order I've purchased them at the
7/11 on the corner. There's seldom a line of more than one or two
customers, and the line moves quickly.

In Florida, the cash advance places advertise no fee for money orders,
but I've never been in one. I don't know what the process is.

The post office would be my last choice for the purchase of a money
order.

I get free money orders at my local BofA bank. Only takes a couple minutes.
Of course I'm retired and it's just a short hop from the house to the bank.

Bruce

Old November 20th 07, 05:30 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

wrote:

[...]

This sounds more like what I want. I don't think I want a debit card. I
already pay for eBay items with a few PayPal clicks online.

Are there several options to be aware of?

Yep. Check off money market and cash back.

What's that do for me?

Now, my PayPal payments are
simply deducted from my checking account. If I sign up to accept PayPal
payments, would they automatically be deposited in that same account?

Nope. You have to request disbursement or use the credit card.
There's a limit on disbursement amounts, but you can sweep the account
frequently.

Does that mean I can't zero out my PayPal account after receiving a payment?
I have to leave some minimum amount in there? I don't plan to use it very
often.

Next, I'll be learning to use a cell phone.

You're comfy with a pocket calculator? No abacus?

I don't like to calculate more than I can handle on my fingers. And then I
can't have my hands in my pocket if I want to see my fingers.

I think I had an abacus on my crib, but I never understood what it could do
for me. My bad.

Bruce