half search

Old July 18th 06, 07:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dave Hinz

Default half search

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 18:18:42 GMT, e wrote:
$260 worth if halves today.
found 1 40%. so a successful search.

I talked to our banker. He _could_ order in a half bag at a time but
last time he did that they were all new rolls. So if I wanted BU rolls
to stash, I could, but it's hard to just drop 500 bucks like that. He's
going to save rolls for me as they come in from the locals and call me
when he gets 10 rolls or so. He also apparently has to pay to ship
pennies out, I'm considering just being his penny recipient as well.
I'm getting 30-40% copper out of those rolls, some even better, and more
wheats than I've seen in a long time.

Old July 19th 06, 12:19 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Joe Fischer

On 18 Jul 2006 18:25:36 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

He also apparently has to pay to ship
pennies out, I'm considering just being his penny recipient as well.
I'm getting 30-40% copper out of those rolls, some even better, and more
wheats than I've seen in a long time.

Wouldn't it be funny if 80 percent of all banks
have cents by the ton, but hope they can use them up
to save transport back to the FRB.

While there may be a small casting shop where
the ~5 percent zinc would not be a problem, but it may
never be possible to sell scrap cents in the regular scrap
buying places, or even at a smelter.
An employee would not be inclined to steal scrap
because of the limited number of places to sell it, but
might not be able to resist stealing pennies, they are
good any place. :-)

It might be prudent to find a buyer for the non-
wheat copper before going to the time and trouble of
saving and storing them.

Joe Fischer