Proof Buffalo Gold

Old July 13th 06, 03:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jud

Default Proof Buffalo Gold

At 10:15am today FedEx delivered my proof Buffalo Gold. I didn't think
that they were going to start shipping them until today, but mine has
arrived. I expected it to have a mirror finished field but it is
textured, dimpled almost. The holder is also fairly difficult to open
and close. Other than that, I am quite happy. Anybody else get theirs
yet?

Old July 13th 06, 08:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Sibirskmoneta

"e" wrote in message
m...
In article . com, "Jud"
wrote:

At 10:15am today FedEx delivered my proof Buffalo Gold. I didn't think
that they were going to start shipping them until today, but mine has
arrived. I expected it to have a mirror finished field but it is
textured, dimpled almost. The holder is also fairly difficult to open
and close. Other than that, I am quite happy. Anybody else get theirs
yet?

seen a couple. the pebbles look is cool.

I looked at one the other day in the coin shop. The pebbles look made me
not buy it.

Old July 14th 06, 12:50 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Wes Chormicle

My 10 came today as well. I also noticed the cases were very difficult to
open/close.
Wes

Old July 14th 06, 02:18 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
clarkent

I got my proof gold buffs today. The mint website does not mention a "matte"
finish. Is that why the proof fields have the pebble looking effect, or is
that a design element? I like it because the coins seem to sparkle in the
light. But I am wondering if they are technically a matte finish or not.
Best Regards, O.E.Pepper

--
"I bought a book on how to get organized..but I can't seem to find it.."
"If I were any happier, I would have to be institutionalized."
ink.net...

Old July 14th 06, 05:59 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Kevin Franks

Got mine Monday via FedEx. Noticed same thing about the folder hard to close
and open. Not too wild about the field texture but I like it all the same.

Kev

ups.com...

Old July 14th 06, 10:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jud

I did a little research and found that the 'pebbled' surfaces were part
of the original design by Fraser. OK, I will go along with that, even
though I think I would have preferred a mirrored surface. Makes it
different, thats for sure.

Old July 15th 06, 04:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reclining Buddha

On 14 Jul 2006 14:01:34 -0700, "Jud" wrote:

I did a little research and found that the 'pebbled' surfaces were part
of the original design by Fraser. OK, I will go along with that, even
though I think I would have preferred a mirrored surface. Makes it
different, thats for sure.

The pebbled surace keeps the design from looking like so much
clip-art, and makes the background part of the design.

Reclining Buddha

The Original Couch Potato!
Old July 16th 06, 05:24 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

Actually, I think the finish is a compromise rather than a design
objective (I doubt they were even produced here), but the burning
question is what did everybody PAY for theirs ... $600, $850, $999?
Come on ... be honest.

Also, is anyone planning to assay one of these treasures to find out if
1), it's real gold, and 2), if it's 24ct?

Old July 16th 06, 10:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
jeff

Jud wrote:
At 10:15am today FedEx delivered my proof Buffalo Gold. I didn't think
that they were going to start shipping them until today, but mine has
arrived. I expected it to have a mirror finished field but it is
textured, dimpled almost. The holder is also fairly difficult to open
and close. Other than that, I am quite happy. Anybody else get theirs
yet?

Just occurred to me - could the pebble finish be an indication that it's
just too difficult (i.e. expensive) to produce a flawless mirror surface
on something as fragile as 24K gold?

Jeff
Old July 16th 06, 10:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Joe Fischer

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 14:45:19 -0700, jeff wrote:

Just occurred to me - could the pebble finish be an indication that it's
just too difficult (i.e. expensive) to produce a flawless mirror surface
on something as fragile as 24K gold?
Jeff

Naw, but it sometimes is a clue that it is plated. :-)

Joe Fischer