Value Of HK 8+ Quad Deck

Old February 27th 08, 07:45 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
still_trackin

Default Value Of HK 8+ Quad Deck

I'm toying with the idea of selling my Harman Kardon 8+ Deck. What's a
good asking price these days for this rare quad player? I was lucky to
win one a few years back on Ebay for $55 with the original manual!
Nice overall condition and it plays great.
A local guy whose really into quad offered me $200. Do you think
it would be better to put it up on Ebay and see what it brings or take
his offer? I sold my quad tapes and Sansui receiver, so It's only
being used for 2 channel use once in a while. Haven't seen one up on
Ebay recently....must still be quite rare!
Old February 27th 08, 07:55 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
DeserTBoB

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 11:45:36 -0800 (PST), still_trackin
wrote:

I'm toying with the idea of selling my Harman Kardon 8+ Deck. What's a
good asking price these days for this rare quad player? I was lucky to
win one a few years back on Ebay for $55 with the original manual!
Nice overall condition and it plays great.
A local guy whose really into quad offered me $200. Do you think
it would be better to put it up on Ebay and see what it brings or take
his offer? I sold my quad tapes and Sansui receiver, so It's only
being used for 2 channel use once in a while. Haven't seen one up on
Ebay recently....must still be quite rare! snip

It's an H-K branded product, which makes is 1.) good quality, and 2.)
rare. $200 might be a little light for this, but then again, the
whole 8 track/Q8 "fad" is over with, so maybe expediency is the best
policy here.

Yes, all of the '70s quad receivers are getting very rare and command
good prices...when they sell, that is.
Old February 27th 08, 10:24 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
still_trackin

wrote:
[...]

I was looking to get $300 or more, but those days might be over as you
said. It looks like re-sale values have dropped on everything in the
last few years...kinda scary!
8 track fad is over eh? Oh well, I still enjoy playing a cart or
two when the mood hits me! I guess I'm still_trackin...lol!
Old February 28th 08, 02:28 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
DeserTBoB

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 14:24:16 -0800 (PST), still_trackin
wrote:

I was looking to get $300 or more, but those days might be over as you
said. It looks like re-sale values have dropped on everything in the
last few years...kinda scary! snip

As the population ages and a bunch of snot noses who never heard of
"quad" and think iPods are "good fidelity" take over, resale will get
lower as time progresses, aided a lot by the "Bush Depression" now
setting in.

8 track fad is over eh? Oh well, I still enjoy playing a cart or
two when the mood hits me! I guess I'm still_trackin...lol! snip

Yeah, it's over pretty much. There was a burst of interest caused by
Russ Forster's movie back years ago, but it's been killed off, mostly
by scam artists like Charlie Nudo and others, and the need to be
technically proficient to keep 8 tracks running acceptably well.
People these days don't fix anything...they throw it away and buy
something new, one reason we have such a landfill crisis in the US at
this time.
Old February 28th 08, 12:45 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
trippin-2-8-track

On Feb 27, 2:45*pm, still_trackin wrote:
I'm toying with the idea of selling my Harman Kardon 8+ Deck. What's a
good asking price these days for this rare quad player? I was lucky to
win one a few years back on Ebay for $55 with the original manual!
Nice overall condition and it plays great.
* * A local guy whose really into quad offered me $200. Do you think
it would be better to put it up on Ebay and see what it brings or take
his offer? *I sold my quad tapes and Sansui receiver, so It's only
being used for 2 channel use once in a while. Haven't seen one up on
Ebay recently....must still be quite rare!

one of those was on Ebay last month, and got no bids. market is soft
now, it may not even pull $200 on Ebay, if I was you, take the 200

I sold 2 of those on Ebay in the past, for $400 each- but you won't
get that money now

the liberal democrats in congress ruined the economy, and put us in
stagflation
Old February 28th 08, 12:47 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
trippin-2-8-track

Default Value Of HK 8+ Quad Deck-NOW ONLY WORTH $30 due toDemocrat-induced stagflation, taxes

wrote:
[...]

two when the mood hits me! *I guess I'm still_trackin...lol!- Hide quoted text -

FORGET THAT- one just sold on EBay for only $29

and before that, he listed it at $50 and it got no bids

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=005

so you best take the $200, and RUN !
Old February 28th 08, 01:15 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
trippin-2-8-track

wrote:
[...]

the 8-track thing was based on a couple reasons- first off nostalgia,
#2 the CD quality at the time was really lousy- 8tracks really did
sound a lot better than CD's

experts agree nostalgia comes in 20 year waves- in the 1970's, we had
"Grease" with nostalgia over the 50's era- in the 90's, we have an 8-
track resurgence and nostalgia over the 70's 8-track era and that
period music- it lasted a good 10+ years

now it's waning- because people that wanted to complete their
collection and get all those tapes they never could afford in 1978,
have now done it- once a collection is complete, you listen to it for
a few years, then move on to other hobbies

guys like DeserTBob aka Bob Scarborough, can't afford any hobby,
collecting SSI and unemployed, so their opinions are not reality- he's
living hand to mouth (or cock to mouth, in his case- LOL)

quality- 8tracks sounded better than CD for the longest time- recently
there has been advances in CD quality, where it "almost" sounds as
good as the vintage audio tape- many are saying screw it, just play
the CD, less hassle- (not me though, not yet)

in reference to your quad 8- TAKE THE $200 and run- before that seller
realizes he's offering too much and prices have dropped
Old February 28th 08, 01:16 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
trippin-2-8-track

On Feb 28, 3:24*am, "Andy" wrote:
hey bob what is the avrage worth of an old bradford quad reciver?
i got one in execent condtion and one that needs a few dial lights and one
swich cleaned.

--

wrote:

[...]

good prices...when they sell, that is.- Hide quoted text -

we had a Sansui quad amp that did not even pull $100 on Ebay and it's
in mint shape

quad is dead, passe'
Old February 28th 08, 03:43 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
DeserTBoB

#2 the CD quality at the time was really lousy- 8tracks really did
sound a lot better than CD's snip

Another idiotic statement from our resident moron, Charlie Nudo of
Drums, PA, aka "66-catalina" on eBay.

Avoid this scamster's auctions, and read up on his past at:

http://nudowatch.blogspot.com

....or simply Google "Charlie Nudo" and be amazed.
Old February 28th 08, 03:46 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
DeserTBoB

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 03:24:21 -0500, "Andy" wrote:

hey bob what is the avrage worth of an old bradford quad reciver?
i got one in execent condtion and one that needs a few dial lights and one
swich cleaned. snip

Whatever you can get for it without giving it away for free.

JC Penney stuff has no following at all, but it really was pretty good
stuff, all built by Matsu****a. It's not dumpster food, but has
limited usefulness these days.