Anyone else have this problem?

Old January 26th 08, 05:08 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
sgt23

Default Anyone else have this problem?

I always get tricked by coins of most countries. The problem is that
its hard too tell or remember which years the countrys put silver in
their coins, and when they stopped. I pretty much have the United
States and Canada down. Plus its not very confortable carrying around
the big cataloge of world coins. Any suggestion that might help?

Old January 26th 08, 07:06 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
sgt23

On Jan 26, 1:00*am, wrote:
In article , sgt23 wrote:I always get tricked by coins of most countries. The problem is that
its hard too tell or remember which years the countrys put silver in
their coins, and when they stopped. I pretty much have the United
States and Canada down. Plus its not very confortable carrying around
the big cataloge of world coins. Any suggestion that might help?

sorcerer's stone

Not a bad movie!
Old January 26th 08, 10:27 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Jan 25, 10:08*pm, sgt23 wrote:
I always get tricked by coins of most countries. The problem is that
its hard too tell or remember which years the countrys put silver in
their coins, and when they stopped. I pretty much have the United
States and Canada down. Plus its not very confortable carrying around
the big cataloge of world coins. Any suggestion that might help?

I would suggest:

Keep in mind the dates 1920 and 1946.

Before 1920, the majority of European stuff is very high percentage
silver. In the years 1920 and 1921, you gotta look it up. 1921 and
after, most is 50% to 80%. 1946 and after, most is copper-nickel.

After WWII, Australia held on to 50% until they went decimal.

It is interesting that a lot of British/ Australian 50% silver coinage
which was once considered doggy stuff, is now worth some decent $$$
with the high price of silver (or low price of the U.S. Dollar).

oly

Old January 26th 08, 03:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Christian Feldhaus

sgt23 wrote:

I always get tricked by coins of most countries. The problem is that
its hard too tell or remember which years the countrys put silver in
their coins, and when they stopped. I pretty much have the United
States and Canada down. Plus its not very confortable carrying around
the big cataloge of world coins. Any suggestion that might help?

Get a cell phone with a web browser, and a numismaster.com account

Well, it may be easier (especially if you focus on certain countries) to
make a brief list of the denominations that used to have silver and then
went to CuNi or other alloys. As for the last silver circulation coins
from around here, Austria used silver (Ag640) for the 10 ATS coins until
1973, Germany (Ag625) for the 5 DEM pieces until 1974. The Netherlands
switched in 1967 (1 and 2.50 NLG coins, Ag720), and Switzerland in 1968
(5 CHF, Ag835). All these countries still issue silver coins at face
value, but those are rarely accepted by stores and hardly circulate.

Christian
Old January 26th 08, 09:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ukraina Dvi

"Christian Feldhaus" wrote in message
Well, it may be easier (especially if you focus on certain countries) to
make a brief list of the denominations that used to have silver and then
went to CuNi or other alloys. As for the last silver circulation coins
from around here, Austria used silver (Ag640) for the 10 ATS coins until
1973, Germany (Ag625) for the 5 DEM pieces until 1974. The Netherlands
switched in 1967 (1 and 2.50 NLG coins, Ag720), and Switzerland in 1968
(5 CHF, Ag835). All these countries still issue silver coins at face
value, but those are rarely accepted by stores and hardly circulate.

Christian

I remember a shopkeeper in Munchen telling me I was a fool for spending the
10DM commems from the 1972 games that I got at a bank. I think it was the
only time I have ever knowingly spent a silver coin. I got 100FF coins in
change in France when I saw them and asked for them, but I kept them.

Old January 26th 08, 10:22 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Christian Feldhaus

Ukraina Dvi wrote:

I remember a shopkeeper in Munchen telling me I was a fool for spending the
10DM commems from the 1972 games that I got at a bank.

Until 1975, the regular 5 DM pieces and the 5 DM collector coins had
basically the same specifications - size, alloy, weight. So I suppose
they did show up in circulation to some extent. Those 10 DM pieces were
"different" from the regular coins, and the same applies to the current
¤10 pieces - they just do not match any regular coin. Worse, they are
regional money only.

If people want to hoard them as a metal investment, fine. But if you
have any 10 DM commems left over, try selling them to coin dealers -
they will probably offer you the face value (¤5.11) but, in general, not
more than that. So in your case it was the shopkeeper's reply that was
foolish, I think g.

Christian

AMI I 200 Problem [email protected] Juke Boxes 3 June 19th 07 05:59 AM
I HAVE A PROBLEM YYYVVV Basketball 0 September 20th 06 11:57 PM
Problem with r.c.c.? [email protected] Coins 6 March 24th 05 03:36 AM
AMI R-82 problem Tom Juke Boxes 5 March 24th 05 12:58 AM
NSM ES 160 problem Mike T Juke Boxes 0 November 21st 04 12:53 AM